driving along coast from east to west - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 01-27-2007, 11:41 AM Thread Starter
Enthusiast

driving along coast from east to west

I will be driving my jeep tj with 4.0 litre and 5 speed from charleston south carolina to seattle washington. i drove out to charleston from seattle in october and i drove through the midwest mostly. now that area is covered with snow so for the return trip i will be driving around the southern states and up through california. i would like to make a one night stop in las vegas, anybody know the safest and best routes to take from the south east to the northwest in the southern states? plus anybody know the distance i will be traveling? i have aloted around 2000 plus dollars for the trip, including gas, cheap food, and cheap lodging. i have 31's on my jeep so i know it isnt going to be cheap for the gas. it only cost me around 800 tops to drive out here on the first trip, so i am really rounding way up for the price of the return trip. i guessed it will be around 1200 to 1500 but i am designating 2000 dollars just in case.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 01-27-2007, 01:09 PM
I Might Just Know What I'm Talking About

Re: driving along coast from east to west

Take I10 for the Southern route...but it's going to be a little boring.....a lot of desert...

I really think you would be better off taking I40...you can take I10 part of the way...especially through the gulf states but once you get to around Texas work your way up. Except for I35, there is no major Interstate to take up from I10 to I40.

This time of year I40 will be fine...about the only place you might find snow will be in around Santa Fe....but there is a lot to see along the way, including the meteor crater...Grand Canyon and Vegas is an easy shot.

From Vegas take I15 to LA and then just drive Hwy 1 (Pacific Coast Highway) all the way up.

When you get to LA and you have any issues or need a place for a pit stop, let me know...I'm in LA and close to PCH.

Good luck
post #3 of (permalink) Old 01-28-2007, 11:18 AM
Enthusiast

I love the I40 route. I've driven it several times, and it's always a pleasant trip. One of the best experiences of my life was driving up the grade from Albuquerque into AZ just as the sun was coming up behind me. As the sun came over the horizon it lit the desert on fire. It was the most amazing thing I have ever seen.

When the I40 ends in Barstow, Vegas in only another 2 to 2 and a half hours north. There is also some prime wheeling right there where I40 ends, and Calico Ghost town is just a couple of minutes up the road.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 01-28-2007, 12:32 PM
Keyboard Implanted

I-10 along the Gulf states SUX! At least it used to. talk about some rough road

A bouddy and I Drove from Charlotte, NC, To Atlanta, to Houston, Tuscon, LA and up to Seatle. I-10 All the way across Texas some 8-900 miles was about as boring as it gets. West Texas... [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

I'd say take I-40. Of course Weather may slow that trip. There's snow blowing across that area of the Mid West from the looks of it.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 01-28-2007, 06:20 PM

Unless it's changed, the I10 from Fl to just before New Orleans was a nice drive.....but your right about the Texas leg.....and it does not get any better past El Paso....
post #6 of (permalink) Old 01-28-2007, 10:08 PM Thread Starter
Enthusiast

so you guys think that I-40 would be a bad idea? is it inpassiable? really need your input guys cuz i leave in seven days.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1555180-jeeper.jpg (51.4 KB, 6 views)
post #7 of (permalink) Old 01-28-2007, 11:49 PM

Take I40....I did it a few years ago in Jan and the only snow was in Santa Fe....it's the interstate.....it's going to be clear....

I would be more worried about the state troupers....AZ and NM don't cut much slack.

The other thing to consider is that I10 can have some really long stretches between services...if you have trouble on I40 your chances will be better for getting help.

Have a good time and take plenty of film....

And the offer still stands if you need to make a pit stop in LA.

I would suggest you try to collect a few phone #'s from some of the guys that would be close to your planned trip....just in case you need to make a pit stop for repairs....I'll be glad to give you mine....
post #8 of (permalink) Old 01-29-2007, 05:36 AM
Keyboard Implanted

[ QUOTE ]
so you guys think that I-40 would be a bad idea? is it inpassiable? really need your input guys cuz i leave in seven days.

[/ QUOTE ]

check the weather and travel center for that kind of info. not us. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
post #9 of (permalink) Old 01-29-2007, 07:10 AM
Keyboard Implanted

[ QUOTE ]
Unless it's changed, the I10 from Fl to just before New Orleans was a nice drive.....but your right about the Texas leg.....and it does not get any better past El Paso....

[/ QUOTE ]

A lot of I 10 in west Fla, Miss, AL, and LA was damaged pretty good by Huricanes Irene and Katrina...might be fixed by now...or still be waiting on contractor bids... [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
post #10 of (permalink) Old 01-30-2007, 12:25 PM
Can't Get Enough

[ QUOTE ]
Take I40....I did it a few years ago in Jan and the only snow was in Santa Fe....it's the interstate.....it's going to be clear....

[/ QUOTE ]

Uhhhhhh, Santa Fe is on I25.....60mi north of I40 in Albuquerque.....I was just thru there yesterday....again. Let's not get the guy lost before he ever starts....LMAO [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beach.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode