OT AWD in Nissan Murano - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 01-27-2007, 10:09 AM Thread Starter
Veteran

OT AWD in Nissan Murano

Hi

Can someone give me a quick lesson as to how cars with AWD generally work?

My sister has a Murano with AWD and is concerned it isn't working properly...mechanic says it is but she's not convinced...

Thanks,
Patrick
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 01-27-2007, 06:58 PM
I Might Just Know What I'm Talking About

Re: OT AWD in Nissan Murano

The transfer case acts much the same way as a differential...it allows slippage between front and rear.

It's easy to test....jack up one side so both the front and rear wheels are off the ground....block the other side....

Carefully put it in gear and just take your foot off the brake.....both the front and rear wheels should spin. If only one spins, then yea, it's not working right.

So....what makes her think it's not working? Truth is, it's hard to tell if it's not because of the power sharing mode. It's not going to have that funny feel you get in a jeep when you are locked up in 4lo.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 01-27-2007, 07:54 PM Thread Starter
Veteran

She doesn't think it's working because apparently she thought she could press a button to lock it into AWD...when she pushes the button...the light doesn't stay on very long...

Thanks for the info!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 01-28-2007, 12:39 AM
Veteran

Location: Milwaukee(which is algonquin for the good land)WI U.S.A

I did a google search for that particular AWD system there's not a whole lot of info available on it. As far as the button goes I don't know what that's for a would take a look at the manual to find out exactly what it's supposed to do. What I was able to find was that the Murano is first and foremost a front wheel drive car the only time the AWD works is if the brain detects wheel spin at the front end and then transfers up to 50% of the power to the rear wheels. With an AWD vehicle your not going to notice a difference in the feel of the vehicle it's fairly seamless and really probably only happens until the front wheels are no longer detected as spinning which for the most part would only be for a second or two. Also does she have the constant velocity transmission in there? If she does your probably not going to feel anything at all seening as you don't feel it shift from 1st to 2nd my guess would be your not going to feel a change when going from front wheel drive to AWD.
Hope this helped a little,
John
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode