Toyota Tundra Commercials -Beware LEVE RANT! - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 01-26-2007, 09:17 AM Thread Starter
Way Outta Control

Toyota Tundra Commercials -Beware LEVE RANT!

Has anyone been watching the newest Toyota Tundra Commercials on TV? They're touting their larger parts (hence doing you a favor by "overbuilding" the Tundra) than their competition.

IMHO, it's a very good marketing campaign designed to unseat Ford and GM's hold on the pickup market. If they keep it up... it just may do it.

I'd like to see Jeep do something similar and start reaching out to more markets than the on-road crowd. The Jeep is a very versatile vehicle and they've got to tell people that story.

I don't know about you, but I really tire quickly of Jeeps bashing about on dirt/gravel roads, in snow, and in obviously silly situations (like volcanoes) and start looking at the real work-a-day world. The world already knows the Jeep name. Now it's time to make good on that name. I'd love to see a series of work vehicles like the ol' J series pickups, built like tanks, built to work and built to last. Jeep can do it, if they only will.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 01-26-2007, 09:33 AM

Re: Toyota Tundra Commercials -Beware LEVE RANT!

Do you suppose that the marketing folks might think that in the truck buying universe there are more greenies who will swoon at the sight of a Jeep on a forest road than there are working men who need a real truck? Suppose?
post #3 of (permalink) Old 01-26-2007, 10:42 AM

I think the most significant factor in the shift of the market away from the big three is perceived or real problems with quality / reliability, and that is the issue which must be addressed by the mfgrs to keep and rebuild their share of the market. I have no idea who builds the best trucks, but I see a lot more old Toyota's on the trails than Ford Rangers, or whatever their mini truck was called.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 01-26-2007, 10:42 AM
Way Outta Control

Maybe it's because they will have to cover more warranty claims?

Right now their policy is if it looks like it's been "abused," meaning it's been driven off-road (like in their commercials), they won't cover much.

That's a constant problem now.

DMZ - Hitler's still getting revenge!
post #5 of (permalink) Old 01-26-2007, 10:53 AM

Could you market an austere but stout work truck and still make a profit? The market seems to target the aluminum wheeled, 4 door, heated leather seats, drop down DVD player crowd. Is that where all the money is?
post #6 of (permalink) Old 01-26-2007, 11:04 AM

So you don't like watching skate boarders climb the new unlimited up the high School stairs? Or the puppets driving around bobbing their heads to the music? Or how about the bugs or the showdown with the lizard looking thing? Jeeps new commercials are terrible to say the least. I personally believe Jeep is only second to Harley Davidson as far as brand loyalty and lifestyle goes. The Jeep Jamborees, Camp Jeep, and private events are no different than Sturgis or Daytona for the bike crowd. Why doesn't Jeep take advantage of that? I'd rather here about the new features the Jeep has, such as Toyota is doing than hear it's stereo and watch a skate boarder climb the mall stairs with it. "This things got pop" dude..an mp3 player..Who gives a crap..Itís also got a trick transfer case with 4.1, lockers, 32's, and a new engine this year. Tell me about that! Every truck or car made today has a trick stereo system or an option for it. It looks like they want to go after new buyers instead of cultivating the ones they already have. Well..gotta go, I think I'm going to cruise the high school this afternoon, climb a few stairs, hang out with the skate boarders, maybe even listen to some "pop" on the old AM radio if it still works!
post #7 of (permalink) Old 01-26-2007, 03:09 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I think the most significant factor in the shift of the market away from the big three is perceived or real problems with quality / reliability,

[/ QUOTE ]

That is a huge problem that's hurting sales. Their other huge problem, that's killing profit on the vehicles they do sell, is labor costs. And a huge subset of that is the pension and health benefits for retired workers and their families. The Big Three are paying those people darn near their full working salary, but not getting anything in return.

My gripe isn't with the retired workers - they have an agreement, freely entered into by the manufacturers. And at the time the manufacturers agreed to it, there wasn't much else they could have done. But nevertheless they made bad deals in decades past and are now paying the piper.

It's mighty difficult to improve the product while you're showing a huge loss. Even if you have a good product, it's difficult to sell while you're showing a huge loss because the aura of a loser is hanging over you. They're in a tough spot with no easy out.
post #8 of (permalink) Old 01-26-2007, 04:08 PM
Addict

I see the problem as the "BIG 3" is lack of "Lean Manufacturing". I work for a tier 1 supplier to the big 3 and Honda,Nissan,and Toyota. The difference between American car companies and Japanese car companies is the money wasted on everything from NOT negotiating cost to the ancient way they order parts.Ford especially does not seem to worry about cutting cost anyplace but the workforce.Just an observation from someone who works with them daily. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wall.gif[/img]
post #9 of (permalink) Old 01-26-2007, 04:10 PM

DC already makes a full line of work trucks large and small, The reason they dropped Jeep Pickups was so they wouldn't be competing with themselves in the truck market. Any Jeep Truck they made now wouldn't be any better than the Dodge's they already make anyway. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/30.gif[/img]

I hear Toyota wants into NASCAR too. It'll be funny (and a little sad) when they start winning at Daytona!
post #10 of (permalink) Old 01-26-2007, 10:10 PM

Bottom line is quality/reliability. Jeepers and Harley riders aside, the average Joe wants to drive/ride rather than tinker/fiddle. The Detroit iron has come a long way, but seem to be a step behind a couple of J-brands (not all of them!) Have you read Consumer Reports recently? They poll lots of owners and rate reliability based on consumer's responses. Would anyone be surprised to learn that some of the WORST cars (as far as complaints) all come from Germany?? Beemers, Benzs, Audis and V-dubs are rated as some of the most unreliable cars in recent history. Hondas and Toyotas rate best. The Big three and the rest of the world's automakers mix it up in the middle.
I love my Jeep and can't imagine getting rid of it, but it's not my primary unit. For wifey, its Outbacks only (her choice, my blessings). The cost of retirement packages, health insurance, etc., are an undeniable part of the struggles of our homeland builders, but its the customer's perception of value (the cost vs hassle quotient) that drives most people's decisions on what to buy.

[img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bag.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode