Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups

Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups (https://forums.off-road.com/forum.php)
-   Jeep-Short Wheelbase (https://forums.off-road.com/jeep-short-wheelbase/)
-   -   Fluid in a T5 tranny (https://forums.off-road.com/jeep-short-wheelbase/223014-fluid-t5-tranny.html)

jeepete 02-03-2007 09:16 AM

Re: Fluid in a T5 tranny

[img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/goodpost.gif[/img] Well said! I agree.

TiminMb 02-03-2007 03:31 PM

Like Bandho, teeth deforming / tearing on the reverse idler and cluster gear were the damage in the T5 when I got my jeep. Replaced them both and its been good so far.

OlllllllOCJ 02-06-2007 07:09 PM

No intent to offend any of the above posters but if you were to do a search....

At this point in time it's 15F outside (the high temp for the last few days) and I would have no problem jumping in my T-5 originally equipped 1985 CJ-7 and driving it anywhere I wish. It is filled with GL-5 80/90 gear lube. Sure it would be a bit stiff for a couple of minutes but not a problem.

There is a difference between Non World Class Borg Warner T-5's and World Class Borg Warner T-5's... If you don't know the difference (many transmission shops don't so you shouldn't feel too bad)... Do some research!!!!!!!!!

A few hints:

<u>T5 Transmission Fluid</u>

<u>T-5 out of a 95 camaro for my cj?</u>

<u>T-5 Overheating?</u>

There are many more posts... This comes up all the time and there was never a World Class Jeep T-5 from the factory. There was an aftermarket version but I can't find it anymore.

<font color="red">Don't put ATF in your Jeep T-5, it will smoke some hot afternoon on a lazy drive.</font>

[img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/40BEER.gif[/img]
Dale

rogerscj7 02-07-2007 08:41 AM

Thanks for the feedback. You support my mechanic.. However mine just will not work in 15 to 35 degree weather with 75 to 90 weight grease. I cannot deal with Stopping after down shifting the first time and I cannot get it back in gear until it warms up, especially if Im in a hurry.. I have to run ATP, in the cold. It works great. But I will switch over to 75 to 90 weight for the summer an try it.
My service manual states use Dextron fluid, in an 83 Cj with T5. However I had to purchase it on line, Im assuming it was right..