axle shortening link - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 01-23-2007, 07:37 PM Thread Starter
Tim
Keyboard Implanted

axle shortening link

I posted this on the AJC board, but thought that some here might be interested on the subject of how I chose to shorten my D-60F & D-70R axles.

http://bbs.off-road.com/ubbthreads/s.../0#Post1525095
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 01-23-2007, 07:53 PM
Way Outta Control

Re: axle shortening link

Cool post... I've save it!
post #3 of (permalink) Old 01-23-2007, 08:03 PM

Nice work.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 01-23-2007, 08:51 PM
Apprentice

Very nice work. That is almost exactly what I did when I narrowed the Dana 60 I put in the back of my CJ5. Very good idea on the line to make sure everything lines back up correctly, I will keep that in mind if I ever do a front axle.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 01-23-2007, 11:43 PM
JCP
Journeyman

Very neat! A few questions LEVE style (numbered) If I may be so bold:

1) Do you think this could be done without a milling machine if one made a jig to get a straight cut and could source a sleave(not having a lathe)?

2) Any chance you would consider doing a few sleaves to sell to persons such as board members?

3) Did you make the sleave as thick as possible given the inner axle dia.?

4) Do you think it could it be thicker?

5 Would there be room for 35 spine axles if one wished to upgrade?

6) What is the typical cost to get the inner axle
shortened?

7)I assume it would work just as well on a 44?

8) I'm sure you wouldn't have done this if you felt stregth was a issue. But do you think the joint might be a potential failure point? Would it be better to to keep the joint under inside or outside the spring hanger (leafs) or where in relation to links?

9) Finally? it would seem the ideal way to switch to passenger drop on a ford high pinion.

I just had a client offer me what I hope are a couple of high pinion 60s. It sure seems like alot less work than grinding Cs off.

Thanks for the info and hope to read your replys!!

JCP [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bow.gif[/img]
post #6 of (permalink) Old 01-24-2007, 03:12 AM Thread Starter
Tim
Keyboard Implanted

[ QUOTE ]
1) Do you think this could be done without a milling machine if one made a jig to get a straight cut and could source a sleeve(not having a lathe)?

[/ QUOTE ]

They are done a lot without a mill or lathe. Accuracy will suffer though. The first shop we visited that did axles, uses a band saw, grinder and digital protractor to get the job done. The owner does axles a lot for crawlers and says that his product is within factory specs when completed. Although they may be great for the crawler crowd, we didn't feel warm and fuzzy that the vehicle might handle the way we wanted on the highway up to 80 mph, so after visiting a couple of other axle shops, it was decided by my buddy with the restoration shop, to purchase the mill and lathe for the business, as they come in handy for many different projects. But to answer your question, yes it could be done. Would I want my axles done that way, no. If I did not have aspirations of cross country driving in my rig, then I might be okay with looser tolerances, but I doubt it.

[ QUOTE ]
2) Any chance you would consider doing a few sleeves to sell to persons such as board members?

[/ QUOTE ]

Although I did get to do part of the initial lathe work on one of the sleeves, it's my buddy with the shop that was responsible for the final product. I don't know if it would be cost effective for him to do mail order sleeve production. Since he has a couple of rigs he's working on full time, (one of them mine), he might only be interested in doing the complete axle when time permits.

[ QUOTE ]
3) Did you make the sleeve as thick as possible given the inner axle dia.?

[/ QUOTE ]

I believe so. He has a degree in mechanical engineering and a good friend with a steel fabrication shop. Between the two of them I know that a lot of thought and design had been done before production started.

[ QUOTE ]
4) Do you think it could it be thicker?

[/ QUOTE ]

It's possible, but not necessary. A bit of engineering research went into this project to make sure we had overkill before production started.

[ QUOTE ]
5 Would there be room for 35 spline axles if one wished to upgrade?

[/ QUOTE ]

Since both front and rear axle shafts will be 1.5" 35 spline, (front D-60 are originally 1.5" 35 spline, while rear D-70 came with 1.4" 32 spline shafts, but is being converted to 1.5" 35 spline shafts as well), the answer is yes.

[ QUOTE ]
6) What is the typical cost to get the inner axle shortened?

[/ QUOTE ]

According to Dutchman's site, http://www.dutchmanms.com/pricesheet.html,

"Shorten your Front/Rear axle shafts Single Front=$55, Single rear=$50, 1pr.=$85pr, 2-5pr.=$75pr, 6+pr.=$65pr. Please Note the Following; Prices are for MOST Domestic & Import fine spline axle shafts. Coarse spline shafts run $50-$100pr. extra, depending on the job & setup."

[ QUOTE ]
7)I assume it would work just as well on a 44?

[/ QUOTE ]

The same principle could be used with any axle.

[ QUOTE ]
8) I'm sure you wouldn't have done this if you felt strength was an issue. But do you think the joint might be a potential failure point? Would it be better to keep the joint under inside or outside the spring hanger (leafs) or where in relation to links?

[/ QUOTE ]

No, not at all. Each sleeve was designed specifically for each joint. While each sleeve was symmetrical, the tubes they went in varied in roundness and inner diameter when measured with the micrometer, (different diameter readings as the micrometer was rotated around the tube). From those readings, the diameter of the sleeves were determined for a tight press-fit. The collar in the middle of the sleeve allowed for a true flat surface to flat surface contact, (tube to collar to tube), ensuring that the sleeve was straight in both ends of the tubes, resulting in a straight tube when completed. The plug welds allowed for contact penetration inside and outside the seam. The collar's diameter was smaller than the outer tube diameter. The tube ends were chamfered so there was sort of a V-type of valley at the seam to allow for excellent welding penetration to both tube ends and sleeve collar. We feel very confident there will be no movement or failure of the joints. As mentioned above, we discussed in detail with three different shops that do axles professionally to see how they do it before it was decided that we could do as well and possibly better. I don't think the position of the joint really matters where it's located.

[ QUOTE ]
9) Finally? it would seem the ideal way to switch to passenger drop on a ford high pinion.

I just had a client offer me what I hope are a couple of high pinion 60s. It sure seems like alot less work than grinding Cs off.

[/ QUOTE ]

If you mean the knuckles at the ends, when you say "C's," then I'm not sure how much time that's involved versus the method we used, but grinding the knuckles off along with blowing the tubes out of the housing, then cutting tubes were considered less accurate ways as we felt re-inserting the tubes back into the knuckles or housing had more chance of error in getting the tubes straight. Lots of people do it those ways, it just wasn't the way we wanted it done.

[ QUOTE ]
Thanks for the info and hope to read your replys!!

[/ QUOTE ]

You're welcome. Now I have a question for you. Did you sell your Jeepster to Stacey?

Thanks to all for the compliments. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/40BEER.gif[/img]
post #7 of (permalink) Old 01-24-2007, 12:21 PM
JCP
Journeyman

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

You're welcome. Now I have a question for you. Did you sell your Jeepster to Stacey?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes Have you seen what he's done to it!

In fact I sold him both my jeeps. I should amend my sig but I am currently jeepless and would have a sissy sig [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img] hence my interest in the axle assembly because I am trying to scare up a new project.

JCP
post #8 of (permalink) Old 01-24-2007, 06:25 PM Thread Starter
Tim
Keyboard Implanted

[ QUOTE ]
Yes Have you seen what he's done to it!

[/ QUOTE ]

I have indeed. He has posted the transformation on the Jeepster site. It is quite the crawler now. Happy hunting for the new project.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode