How I fixed my easy access seat cable 99 TJ - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 01-21-2007, 04:43 PM Thread Starter
Old Hand

How I fixed my easy access seat cable 99 TJ

Shortly after buying my ’99 TJ my passenger seat quit folding forward to allow for my daughters to get into the back seat. I called Quadratec and Jeep both; and both said the only way to replace the cable was to replace the seat… This is how I did it for less than $5.00 and 1hour.
The shopping list: 3/8” wire rope 3’ long ($0.30 per foot)
1 wire rope crimper crush sleeve ($0.20 ea)
prices are 1 wire rope crimper adjustable ($0.80 ea)
approximate 3 look like a chain link that you unscrew one side ($0.70 ea)

Note: I used lock tight on all fasteners, sorry that I cannot remember the name of the last part I described as a “chain link that you can unscrew on one side.”
A final note, this is my first time writing directions, they may not be accurate, and there are no warrantees or guarantees. Furthermore I have know idea how this modification will effect any safety equipment in your jeep. DO THIS AT YOUR OWN RISK!!!!!!!
1. Remove the passenger seat.
2. Unbolt the seat back (drivers side only) and you will find where the stock cable attaches. (You will need to pull the seat back off of the base, It probably would be easier to just remove the seat back entirely but you don’t need to).
3. using the crush sleeve make a small loop (size of a dime) in the cable and secure with the sleeve. (I pounded mine down with a hammer)
4. Use a small drill bit and ream out the hole for the chain link to fit through.
5 attach the chain link and the cable loop side to the seat back through the hole that you just drilled.
6. Run the cable down through the seat base following the stock cable.
7. On the bottom of the seat base you will see metal framing that runs around the sides of the seat. About midway (front to back) I ran a chain ling around one of the wire supports and threaded the cable through the link.
8. At the front of the seat I placed a second chain link as a change of direction. This allows the wire to head back to the seat back in between the seat rails.
9. You will notice a lever where the stock cable hooks up to. It uses a small (but long) spring as a return. And you will also see a lever that when it comes in contact with the seat frame releases the mechanism for the seat to fold forward into the dash.
10. Remove the spring and run the cable through the hole that the stock cable attaches to. 11. Using the adjustable wire crimper make a loop with the wire with the lever is on the inside of it.
12. USING TRIAL AND ERROR. Shorten the cable by adjusting the loop made in the previous step. The goal is that when you lift the seat lever on the back of the seat, the seat back will fold forward and the seat will slide forward and unlatch the frame to allow it to fold forward for easy access. Once this is accomplished reconnect the spring and reinstall the seat.
13. Check your work, if the seat still does not fold forward you will need to readjust the cable to make it shorter (repeat step 12).

If you need pictures and more detailed directions I can provide them at a small cost (I would have to remove my seat and take it all apart to take pictures)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 01-21-2007, 10:07 PM
Way Outta Control

Re: How I fixed my easy access seat cable 99 TJ

Good on you, I'm stealing this fix for the JeepCreep column if anyone needs it! [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/40BEER.gif[/img]
post #3 of (permalink) Old 01-22-2007, 07:07 AM Thread Starter
Old Hand

Re: How I fixed my easy access seat cable 99 TJ

thats why I posted it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode