Tire Chains... - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 01-17-2007, 11:25 PM Thread Starter

Tire Chains...

I'm getting ready to buy tire chains for the FSJ and some for the CJ.
(They take the same size)

I've been looking at these, http://www.partsamerica.com/ProductD...artnumber=2324

And the heavy duty 'Off-Road' versions of the same diamond chain.
Anyone use these and what did you think of them?

First hand information only! I've read the sales pitches already.

I need to know how hard they are to install/remove, how well they work in Snow, Ice, Mud, ect...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 01-18-2007, 11:56 AM
Keyboard Implanted

Re: Tire Chains...

[img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img] OK..... not first-hand experience with those particular chains, but just looking at them I'll comment anyway. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img] First of all let me say that when we lived in the snowy reaches of the Sierra-Nevada Mtns. chains were NOT an option when it was icy, so the chains we have are equipped with ice cutters. If we didn't need ice cutters, we didn't need chains, so.... [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img] Second, just looking at thos chains I see the "interrupted circumferential chain down the middle and I'm wondering what the heck THAT is for? It makes it tougher to throw the chains on, and more crap to get settled over the tire cleats, lugs, treads, knobs, etc., etc., as the case may be. Thirdly, the chains look like they are TINY, (cross-sectionally speaking) and when you need to chain a Jeep, tiny isn't necessarily a consideration; you only have to chain for ice and really bad stuff, so forget the delicate shopping center miles; with ice cutters, it won't be smooth anyway. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img] The diamond pattern does help the don't-put-my-own-chains-on yuppie SUV driver in that it makes it possible for him to drive farther out of the bad stuff and maybe find a pidgeon to take the chains off for next to nuthin'. If I had a chain-installing contest with you and you had those diamond chains to put on, I would probably be done and drinkin' coffee in my vehicle before you wuz finished. And....heaven help you if those diamond pattern chains weren't put away systematically and got tangled....YOW [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked.gif[/img] [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thud.gif[/img]
post #3 of (permalink) Old 01-18-2007, 11:47 PM Thread Starter

Dave, I appreciate your opinion.
How about these,
http://www.rudchain.com/snow/lgv4.htm

Here is the midevil mother of all tire chains,
http://www.rudchain.com/tireprotection/index.htm

I've used this type of chain and I can chain up in about 1-2 minutes a wheel.
The same pattern we used with the big trucks in cables instead of chains, and they worked very well for the big trucks.

I've also used these on SUV size vehicles...
Drape the center of the chain over the top of the wheel, let both ends of the chain encompass the tire,
Connect the cable in the back nearest the ground, Hook up and cinch up the outside adjustor and you are off to the races.

I like the diamond chain pattern better than ice cleats because it doesn't chew up the tire as badly, makes more contact with the road, and generally gives a lot more traction in packed snow and snow on ice we have around here.

If it were pure ice, I'd go with the ice cleat, without a doubt! When you get ice like Missouri just did, they need ice cleat chains!
We only get ice without snow about once every 10 years or so, so I don't see a point buying ice cleats for just one or two days every ten years...
(And I use it as an excuse to stay home, drink root beer & eat peanut butter & jelly sandwiches)

With dad being down sick, and Single female family members & in laws living out in the 'Woods', I need a way to get around in lots and lots of snow, or snow on ice that can't easily be removed off county roads...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 01-19-2007, 12:32 AM
Old Hand

Well i dont know how they would work but man there cool looking.... Like to see a rock cut a tire with them on there...
post #5 of (permalink) Old 01-19-2007, 06:27 AM
Keyboard Implanted

[img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img] It's the same situation.....wadda ya wanna do with 'em? Those diamond pattern chains are definitely a better choice for driving on pavement IF the vehicle is heavy enough to make them bite. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img] I have some "iron" here that I used on my 2WD 3/4T FS GM and in that case, the crossbars had to be huge so I could "trench my way down" to the hard stuff....be it dirt or pavement....and get moving. There was no other way to move an empty 3/4T 2WD. I am suspicious of chain patrerns which have too many small spaces.....wondering if they'll stay unclogged enough to bite. We got Jeepchick a set of those traction devices which resemble a big spider and that you KICK onto the tire and then latch them to the pre-mounted "keeper" that bolts to the hub. They work pretty good and you don't get very dirty doing the on-off thing. I always have my chains marked inside-left-right-outside and carry a "chicken hook" that I use to snag the inside link so I can pull it forward and hook up easier without taking a "slush bath". I keep my chains in a round, plastic, snap-top kitchen vegetable container, with a cardboard separator between the chain sets, and when they go back into the storage container they are washed, dried, and sprayed with WD-40 as I drop them systematically into the tub. I could also just keep them as a ball of rust on the floor of the trunk, but I kind of like this tub method a little better. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
post #6 of (permalink) Old 01-19-2007, 01:55 PM Thread Starter

The 'Ball Of Rust' is what happened to my last set...
They also don't fit 31" tires.

Chain mail for your tires! How about that!
Never knew those existed until I ran on to that web site.
If nothing else, they are COOL looking!
post #7 of (permalink) Old 01-19-2007, 03:40 PM

How do studded snow tires compare to chains? I'm thinking a lot less hassle if they let you drive on the roads with them in your area (as they do here).
post #8 of (permalink) Old 01-19-2007, 03:59 PM
Way Outta Control

I use studded tires on all my vehicles in the winter, and carry chains. Studded tires are great for ice and small amounts of snow. After about 4" of snow on the road and the studs can get a little squirrelly, but their better than nothing. When there's compact snow and ice on the road... there's no replacement for chains. I may not use them, but I do want them with me, when I'm crossing mountain passes. It's not very fun crossing the Cascades only to see posted "CHAINS REQUIRED" and not have a set.
post #9 of (permalink) Old 01-19-2007, 08:43 PM Thread Starter

Usually I have a set of worn tires I use with chains, this year I have a set, but the two vehicles use different rims,
(one five lug, the other 6 lug...)
So I'm doing chains.

Studded 'Snow' tires are very good for when the snow gets slushed and refreezes or you get ice in the first place.
The only advantage I can see to studs is you can travel at 'normal' highway speeds...

Chains are 'Slow & Low' only...
Which is the way I'll be going on these back roads anyway!
The last few snows I've been the first one in or out.
Used to have a 1 ton dually that when weighted and chained up, was a formidable beast!
I always beat the county crews to the back roads around here, especially if phone service is down...

Now I'm down to the FSJ and CJ, and I'm wondering how the FSJ will do with this task...
Guess we'll find out! They are forecasting ice/snow for the beginning of next week!

Anyone got any 6 lug steel wheels they want to sell cheap? (or better yet, trade!)
post #10 of (permalink) Old 01-19-2007, 11:22 PM
Journeyman

MY Waggy with 33X9.50's will get to places I can only dream of going to in the CJ with 33X12.50's. Both are open at both ends. IF the CJ had lockers it would do better but them big ol tires really hold the CJ back. Also if your FSJ has an NP229 x-fer case it is excellent on-road in the snow.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode