What jeep to buy? 90-99 - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 01-17-2007, 09:13 PM Thread Starter

What jeep to buy? 90-99

Im new and was wondering which jeep? Early 90's.mid,or late? 4.0 or 2.5? I know i want a stick(i guess) Cheaper to fix.4x4 for sure.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 01-17-2007, 10:31 PM
Keyboard Implanted

Re: What jeep to buy? 90-99

98 4.0 5 speed. good base, and not to expensive right now.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 01-17-2007, 10:35 PM Thread Starter

Do i want leafs or coils?,are the late 80's better? what about the 4 cly or 6? Do i want carb or efi?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 01-17-2007, 10:50 PM

What are you goin to do with the Jeep? In general, if you have the money, it is better to go with the 6 cylinder, the 4's are too underpowered. Late 80's yj's have bad carbs, bad french-made trannies, and not-so-special transfercases. In 1991 the yj 6 cylinder switched from a 4.2 carbed to a 4.0 fuel injected motor. The 4.0 is the way to go, as they can be purchased for basically the same price as the 4.2, but are much more powerfull, and run well at angles, due to the fuel injection. yjs came with leaf springs. They are easier to work on, for a budding mechanic, but offer a rouger ride than coil sprung tjs. Tjs have the 4.0 (or 2.5, 2.4 l 4 cyl) and coils springs. Soooo.... what you plan on doing with your jeep, and the funds you have available, will dictate what you should buy. I have a cj7, it runs horribley, rides roughly, breaks down a lot, and drinks gas. with that said, i wouldn't trade it for anything. old iron is cool.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 01-17-2007, 10:55 PM
I Might Just Know What I'm Talking About

Go TJ...coil springs. It may cost a little bit more in the long run to lift...but the ride and articulation will outperform leaf springs.

Yes on the 4.0....about 50% more power.....
post #6 of (permalink) Old 01-17-2007, 11:23 PM Thread Starter

Just wanting a jeep,maybe a little lift one day and some 33's,have some fun with it, a daily driver for work! All this learning is helping so keep it up [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
post #7 of (permalink) Old 01-18-2007, 08:05 AM
Veteran

I like my TJ(97-06). I have done the majority of the work to it myself. If you keep it stock or close I would say to stick with a TJ. You can get 33" tire on one relatively inexpensively with 2" coil spacer and a 1" body lift. If your not going to wheel it much just drop the transfer case 1" and your good to go. Remember even with the 4.0L and 3.73 gears if you can get one geared that low will feel somewhat underpowered with 33's but you can still hit 5th on the highway. I ran mine with that set-up for 2 years with no problems.

If you plan to build it around tires bigger than 33's I would start with a YJ. Like others have said it is a much easier platform to build off of. It make axle swaps much easier and lifting less costly.

Stick with EFI because you will hate not having it if you off-road any.

The 2.5L aren't a bad engine but gear swaps with any tire over stock are mandatory if you want to keep 4th or 5th gear and even with gear swaps you have to rev that little engine pretty good and slip the clutch slow to get it moving from a stop.

Brad
post #8 of (permalink) Old 01-18-2007, 08:40 AM
Way Outta Control

Stay away from the 1990 YJ, it's still got the older BBD fuel delivery system. That can be a nightmare, it's a wonderful place on a Jeep to pour money into with no return.

The 1991-1995 YJ with a 4.0L engine is a good platform, but IMHO, it's best to provide lots of engine, body, frame and engine parts for CJ's.

The YJs had terrible manual transmissions. The automatics weren't bad; and then they had the famed square headlights that even Jeep dropped for the more classic round headlight in the TJ. The axles weren't all that good and most off-road Jeepers eventually swap them out.

I'd never buy a 4 cylinder Jeep. You'll always want that bigger engine (be it a 4.0L or a V8) and you'll pay for it if you try to swap in a bigger engine.

In 1997 there were issues associated with first year production run of the TJ; piston slap would be a good example.

The 1998 year seemed to be a very stable year, up through 2000. Were I to buy a TJ, it would be a 1998, or 1999 model year.

2001 through 2002 the TJ went trough more changes. Again in 2003 through the present there were more changes.

A few more thoughts. The TJ is HEAVILY compuretrized like all newer vehicles. It's OBDII compliant, and lots of interconnected electriconic modules are used to run everything from the windshield wipers, lights, dash gauges, hard door windows (option), to the fuel management system. If you're going to want to start modifying almost anything on the TJ such as the engine, the transmisison, etc... you may muck up the OEM electronics. You'll be very involved in integrating new systems into the TJ electronics. If you're not an electronics geek...become one or you'll pay through the nose to do that.
post #9 of (permalink) Old 01-18-2007, 09:18 AM
Way Outta Control

LEVE -
"""""hard door windows (option)"""""
Is there some kind of connection - doors/computer - that I'm not aware of?
Or are you referring to the interior light delay? (Sure would be nice to shut off the interior lights completely with a switch. GM can do it!)

I wouldn't be surprised if next year they were equipped with a sensor that sounded an alarm if your underwear was ripped.
post #10 of (permalink) Old 01-18-2007, 09:38 AM
Keyboard Implanted

[ QUOTE ]
I wouldn't be surprised if next year they were equipped with a sensor that sounded an alarm if your underwear was ripped.

[/ QUOTE ]
There is an alarm, it goes off just prior to your underwear ripping. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode