700R into the CJ6 behind 304....and a D20 question - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 01-15-2007, 09:41 PM Thread Starter
Keyboard Implanted

700R into the CJ6 behind 304....and a D20 question

Ok,

I think I've settled on a 700R automatic for my CJ6 to replace the T-15 3-speed since i seem to drive a lot on the roads and highways to and from trails or other destinations. the 4 speed o/d should help with gas mileage vs a 3 speed auto. will be rebuilding the Spicer/dana 20 t-case to use behind it. I've priced out the adapters from Novak, going to check AA before i buy.

a few questions....

1)anyone know the case length difference? i have plenty of room, but just curious how much the drive shafts will change...hopefully not much, but i doubt that

2)anyone used one of the Lokar Shifters? http://www.lokar.com/interior_pages/shifters_knobs.htm
...they are pricey but they are prettyyy sweeeeeeeet...we'll put that low on the list of priorities

3)any good donor vehicles i should get the trans from? certain years better than others?

4) anything else i should know?

as for the D20.....I've seen a few rebuild kits online.....are all kits created equal? any pitfalls i should lookout for in the rebuild? I've never rebuilt a t-case before, but i think its well within my capability.

[img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/burnout.gif[/img] [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/burnout.gif[/img] [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/burnout.gif[/img]

thanks! [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bow.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 01-15-2007, 10:05 PM
I Might Just Know What I'm Talking About

Re: 700R into the CJ6 behind 304....and a D20 question

Plan on rebuilding the 700R4. It will make it easier for you to get a non-electronic version (pre 1993 or so), although they are slighty more prone to failure. The weekness of the 700 is the overdrive. They build a ton of heat pulling the slightest load for any distance in OD. Even no trailer, but a loaded truck bed would torch them. Plan on an auxilary cooler.

As for the D20, I would say the main thing would be to get a kit with name brand seals and bearings. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
post #3 of (permalink) Old 01-15-2007, 10:08 PM Thread Starter
Keyboard Implanted

Re: 700R into the CJ6 behind 304....and a D20 ques

thanks for the reply.....speaking of coolers, i forgot to ask, is it better to get a built in trans cooler in the radiator...or run a seperate one?

i was planning on running a very large remote trans filter and lots of cooling

the more info the better!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 01-15-2007, 10:19 PM

To add a little bit....
I agree with the re-build....especially since you will most likely have to dis-assemble in order to get the short shaft in the tranny. The stock 700R (and 4L60E) have a long shaft that has to swapped out. This means the tail cone is deleted. The other option is to find a donor that came out of a 4x4...in which case it will already have the short output shaft.

I'm not sure I agree with the overheating issue....yea, the 700R had issues in the first couple of years. As I understand it one of the weaknesses is the main can. A good tranny shop will tell you the components that should be upgraded when you do a rebuild. One of the reasons for the OD (especially the lockup converter) is to reduce heat. Make sure you get the right hardware to make the lockup converter to work...otherwise, it will run hotter than you want.

As for length...I believe you are only about 1" longer than the manual...you should be able to get the lengths for both from the Novak site.

Shifters...yea, the Lakar is a well respected shifter....but have you considered a cable shifter? I'm actually using a shifter out of a Corvette.

Regarding the xfer case....have you considered a D300?
post #5 of (permalink) Old 01-15-2007, 10:53 PM Thread Starter
Keyboard Implanted

yea a 300 would nice too.....but i have a D20....and im going to try to get this thing actually running by the Bash....so my money and time has to be used wisely (is that even possible with anything jeep related?)

what kinda extra hardware do i need for a lockup torque converter?

since I'm going manual to auto i don't have anything to start with....oh yea...and i don't know anything about autos (we'll add that to the list of things i'm clueless on)..... i'm mechanically inclined, so i know i am capable of doing everything i need....but I'm sorta lacking in the specific knowledge [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img]

as for the shifter...i'll probably try to find a junk yard shifter ...like i said..its sweet but pretty low on the priority list...just going to get it working and running. the trans i'm not going to mess with, no sense in buying a new clutch (its toast) for a trans i plan to get rid of....everything else will stay mostly as is......

all that just for the bash...after that im going to pull the body and box the frame. mild trails only for the bash [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
post #6 of (permalink) Old 01-15-2007, 10:57 PM
Old Hand

I have a good trans cooler and im not runing it with lockup and the only time im ever at 160 is when im on the Highway or hot summer days driveing around the back roads. and 160 is not bad at all.. A good cooler will keep it happy.
as for the output shaft i had to get a shaft with my adaper plate i got for the 241 the spline count was off and the adapter was very thin so a short shaft was needed. I dont know what it take for bolt it up to a 20 but i wopuld look into that first. But seems to me that nomater what you get for a trans 2 or 4 wheel drive that shaft will bee to be swaped out..

Note: Im not %100 on the the output shaft from a 4wd 700 not working..
post #7 of (permalink) Old 01-15-2007, 11:55 PM

The 700R4 is slightly longer than the TH-400, but how are you going to get that into a CJ-6!
Better have that rear axle kicked back or the drive shaft angles are going to be brutal and the slip yoke is going to be longer than the drive shaft!

Anyway, the 700R4 is only slightly weaker than the TH 400 and that is only in shock loading.
You will want the intermeadate sprague changed out to the larger, stronger style.
I'm with the other guy, I'd run a Big ole' tranny cooler in it, and I'd consder an electric fan in front to help things out.

When you are wheeling you won't build any more heat than any other automatic in the lower gears, but heat is the killer of autos, so it's 6 one way, half a dozen the other...
post #8 of (permalink) Old 01-16-2007, 07:56 AM Thread Starter
Keyboard Implanted

mach2: novak and AA both have adapters to the D20...so that shouldnt be a problem.....both are very $$$$ around high 500's....the D300 version is 100 bucks cheaper....boo for expen$ive parts [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cussing.gif[/img] anyone have a free d300 they want to give me ? [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

JYG:
i dont know what this sprague do-hickey is....but i want one [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]

what would be a good donor that would already have all the heaviest duty parts? anyone?
post #9 of (permalink) Old 01-16-2007, 09:50 AM

Here is Novak's writeup on the 700R.

I love the tranny....nothing like being able to drink a cup of coffee while I'm getting on the fwy......the only thing I need to do to mine is change the 1st gear shift point....my jeep is a lot lighter than the tuck it came out of......right now it shifts a little high on the rpm range....

Check out B&K and other sites for some of the related hardware....or you can just go searching the junkyards for the kickdown cable and related hardware you will need.
post #10 of (permalink) Old 01-16-2007, 11:46 AM

Sprague, one way roller bearing clutch in the transmission internals.
Very early 700R4 had weak ones, later versions beefed up the sprague, and aftermarket make some that something else in the trans will go before the clutch does.

There is also a company (Name escapes me, but I'll post it if I remember it) that makes a "Tow & Off Road" gear set for the 700R4.
Instead of over drive, it terminates at 1:1 in 4th gear, but 1st, 2nd & 3rd are all much deeper than stock to get heavy loads (and loading) moving.

They aren't very complicated. Most everything is in packs or drum sections, so the go together really fast once you have the clutch packs back together...
Most clutch packs only take an air hose and feeler gauge to assemble...

Try here and have a look through a 700R4.
http://www.JunkYardGenius.com/Transm...es/700R4p1.gif
http://www.JunkYardGenius.com/Transm...es/700R4p2.gif
http://www.JunkYardGenius.com/Transm...es/700R4p3.gif

Here is a source for the sprague clutch,
http://store.summitracing.com/partdetail...mp;autoview=sku

B&M used to make a good sprague, but since Holley bought them out they just make pussy parts, pans, shifters, ect...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode