82 cj7 w/ 93 ford 5.0, ideas - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 01-13-2007, 08:22 PM Thread Starter

82 cj7 w/ 93 ford 5.0, ideas

hey guys still doing the daily thing but havent even got around to dealing with that holley i have sitting here.. well the reason for this post is a buddy of mine just crashed his 93 mustang(rear end is toast). well he it thinking of parting it out but gave me dibs. to its got my brain spinning.... andbody have suggestions? i would skip the whole carb deal but i would still have to find out how it would work with dealing with CA smog laws.. any input is valued [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/burnout.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 01-13-2007, 09:29 PM
JCP
Journeyman

Re: 82 cj7 w/ 93 ford 5.0, ideas

http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showt...highlight=TOTW

good 5.o swap info from pirate
jcp
post #3 of (permalink) Old 01-14-2007, 02:49 AM
I Might Just Know What I'm Talking About

I'm assuming the motor is a stock 5.0 FI? Auto or Manual?

In either case, this is the ideal donor vehicle (assuming your buddy has not trashed the engine racing it). It's ideal in that you have access to the whole vehicle so you will be able to get all the parts you need.

I'm not totally sure I understand the carb reference unless your saying that you will NOT put on a carb....regardless of smog laws, I can't imagine why you would want to take off the FI and put on a carb anyway.

Don't sweat the smog issue.....it is actually quite easy....assuming you do it right. Basically, you are going to transplant the engine, computer, and all related parts into your jeep. If the Mustang came with dual exhaust, you can have dual exhaust....but you will be hard pressed to get the pipe down the right side....if the mustang also came with single exhaust...that is ok too.....if your setup comes with a manual and you want an auto, then you will need to find a computer to match an auto....if it's already and auto then I would highly suggest keeping it an auto.

Main things to note...you will need to 3 fuel lines, supply, return and vent....which you have already. The cap will need to be able to hold pressure....you will have to hook up the charcoal canister....etc.

You will need to hook up the computer just as it was in the mustang...this includes the Check Engine Light and the OBDII connector under the dash.

If you do all that, you should fly through the smog ref....I did....and when it's done, your jeep will end up being tested as a 93 mustang when you get it smoged.

The 5.0 is a good choice...shorter than the SBC and lighter than the GenI and II engines.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 01-14-2007, 12:53 PM Thread Starter

yeh the motor is all stock , with the exception of a cold air intake...and it's manual...yeh i would take the whole car..how do you get it legally to pass as a 93 mustang??i mean i would put everything the way it is in the mustang but is there somethng you have to get signed off by CHP or someone to get a special vech. sticker or something? thanks for all of the info so far. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/40BEER.gif[/img]
post #5 of (permalink) Old 01-14-2007, 11:50 PM
I Might Just Know What I'm Talking About

You take it to a smog ref...there are several all over LA. If does both a visual inspection and actual smog test. When you pass, he puts a sticker on the vehicle that is used for reference each time you go to smog.

This has a lot of the info you need...Link to Smog Ref's
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode