Hi Lift / Jerry can mounted to YJ tail gate - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 01-12-2007, 10:07 PM Thread Starter
I Might Just Know What I'm Talking About

Hi Lift / Jerry can mounted to YJ tail gate

How much weight do you suppose a YJ tail gate will hold without wearing out prematurely?

I have a swing out rear tire mount / bumper that I built, but dont want to hack it up to add a place for the jack and a Jerry can.

Since I am swapping over to a YJ tub, I have that style tailgate, minus the YJ tire mount and rubber bumpers. I was thinking that I could fab up and Hi-lift Jerry can mount that would attach to the YJ tail gate. I could keep the weight down somewhat by only keeping the fuel can about half full, but I am prety sure I would be exceeding the weight of an average spare tire and wheel.

So tell me what kind of weight you get away with hanging on your YJ tail gate? The last thing I want to do is bend up my shiny new (to me) tail gate or tub. As always, any input or opinion is appreciated. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 01-13-2007, 04:35 AM

Re: Hi Lift / Jerry can mounted to YJ tail gate

I wouldn't mount anything heavier than a bumper sticker to the tailgate. It's not the weight alone; it's the metal fatigue where a weight is attached. Eventually the sheet metal will crack around the bolt holes.

If you decide to go ahead, you should:

1) Spread the weight around - build your mount so that it fastenes to opposite sides of the tailgate, and at the top and bottom.

2) Make your bolt holes go all the way through the tailgate.

3) Make the inside hole about 3/4" in diameter. Then weld a bushing to the inside.

4) Weld stiffeners over the bolt holes, inside and outside - use a patch of sheet metal, about the same thickness as the tub, about 2" square with rounded corners. Seam-weld it all the way around.

If you do all that it will last a long time before breaking out - probably as long as you own the Jeep.

And here's an alternative for your jack. It keeps the jack out of the trail slop and nasty weather, and away from larcenous eyes, but it still only takes a few seconds to stow and retrieve.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1553124-DSCN1479w.JPG (325.0 KB, 4 views)
post #3 of (permalink) Old 01-14-2007, 08:34 AM
Keyboard Implanted

I have been through this an the simplest answer is the stock setup will sag with the stock tire, so any added weight will cause premature failure. While I cannot tell you that it will wear out X number of years earlier, I can guarantee it will. We researched and played with and even built a setup to use the stock mounting location for a swing out style rack, in the end I couldn't produce them and sleep at night.
Biggest problem I had was the stock mounts wanting to pull out and shortly therafter the main hinges were sagging so badly you had to lift up on the gate to close it.

It is absolutely possible to attach it all to the gate,, but it will cause premature problems with the hinges and likely the nuts holding the mount on..

Good luck, if you do it, post up some pix, maybee I just did a pore job of design!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 01-14-2007, 10:16 AM Thread Starter
I Might Just Know What I'm Talking About

[ QUOTE ]
Good luck, if you do it, post up some pix, maybe I just did a pore job of design!

[/ QUOTE ]

I doubt it. I thought it was kind of a pipe dream, but figured I would throw it out there for input. I suppose it would hold a Jerry can, but only if it was mounted directly to it. Anything I make would have to be built with struts to bring the height of the can and jack up some so they dont interfer with the spare tire mount I have now. This would only result in more stress for the attachment points.

Jim, that location wouldn't work well for me. If I'm the one needed the jack (never happens) [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/censor.gif[/img], that portion of my floor will likely be under water. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
post #5 of (permalink) Old 01-14-2007, 10:40 AM

Yeah, I forgot about your being all wet. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

But the same thing could possibly be done on the roll bar. I just hate to have the jack outside. Besides the possibility of being stolen or banged up running into something, they're often cranky, even without having mud, sand, rain and rust to gum them up more.

Of course, Austin likes to see them mounted outside; he sells more jacks that way. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
post #6 of (permalink) Old 01-14-2007, 01:54 PM
Way Outta Control

Have a look at the tire carrier set-up by Best Top - for TJ's, may even work for yours. You could fab something similar for the can and jack.

Their system, a swing out tire carrier doesn't - mount to the tailgate, it just looks like it. Yes it's attached, but no real weight is on the tailgate itself. The entire rack swings with the tailgate - slick!

The weight is supported top and bottom - top has a bracket that looks like it's attached to the body - but bolts go through to another bracket to the roll cage. The body has no stress at all on it.
The bottom is similar, but it bolts through to a bracket that attaches to the right rear body mount.

When you open the latch on the tailgate, the entire thing - tailgate and rack swings out together. It's designed to carry a heavy 35 with no strain at all.

You could easily "get creative" and copy the design, and add a place for a can and HiLift.

If their website doesn't show it enough, I can take a few snaps of mine.
Right now I carry my HiLift inside - crosswise right at the top of the tailgate - both ends chained to the cage on either side.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode