Is locktite Conductive? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 01-12-2007, 12:21 PM Thread Starter
Keyboard Implanted

Is locktite Conductive?

Looks like I need to get behind the dash and tighten up my grounds again, thinking Locktite, but I don't want it to use it if it has resistance. Anyone know?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 01-12-2007, 01:28 PM

Re: Is locktite Conductive?

Its non conductive, but I doubt on a tightened thread that it will break the connection. When you tighten a threaded fastener, it pushes from one side of the threads and opens the gap on the other side. On the tight side, I'd imagine its metal to metal unless you let it harden before tightening.

The fastener itself shouldn't be the only conductor. You should bare the metal against which the head of the fastener pulls the conductive lug. Maybe even place a copper washer under it. I put grease on conductive connections like this and it doesn't impair conductivity because the grease is pushed away at the point of tight contact. And the grease prevents corrosion. Some petroleum jelly would work, just like used on battery terminals.

An afterthought, don't forget to use a plated star washer as that digs into the surface and keeps things tight.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 01-12-2007, 04:02 PM
I Might Just Know What I'm Talking About

Scott...ditto with what Tim said.....
I would stress the star washer. They do a great job of staying tight and cutting through the oxidation. In fact, when I'm doing ground wires, I always solder the crimp connection and then put heat shrink over the crimped portion.

When I redid my dash electrical for the SBC swap, I installed a couple of extra grounds in the fire wall. These consisted of a 1/4" stud through the firewall, nuts and star washers on both sides. In addition, I cleaned away the paint around the stud for a good connection the firewall steel. An 8g wire goes from the battery neg to the stud, and then I attach ground wires on the inside to the other side of the stud.

I also used SS screws and studs. Less chance of corrosion.

If I remember correctly, your dash is powder coated. That could cause ground problems.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 01-12-2007, 06:04 PM Thread Starter
Keyboard Implanted

Yes, it is powder coated. That's why I have grounds dedicated to all the gauges. I currently have a piece of wire connected at two locations behind the dash, acting as a sort of a bus. I was thinking about mounting a piece of SS someday and tapping it for all the connections. As you know John, I have a lot of guages and switches on the dash, each one of them needing a ground. I will get some star washers and yes, I solder and shrink-wrap everything I connect, helps to do those things right the first time, especially when a vehicle is old enough to drink, and is frequently exposed to harsh conditions [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
post #5 of (permalink) Old 01-13-2007, 12:39 PM
I Might Just Know What I'm Talking About

Yea...you have a lot gauges.....I still think the light connected to the pressure line to your ARB is the slickest part (besides you under hood tool box).

I might be up in the Dublin area again in the near future.....I wonder how many beers we would go through to install that SS ground buss?

Lets see....a L channel bolted to the underside lip of your dash....threaded holes along the back lip of the L channel....screws in the threaded holes.....that could make a good ground buss.....

I'll need to do that for my dash when I put it back in...just waiting for the additional gauges right now....and then I have to cut out the composite panel to hold them.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 01-13-2007, 01:33 PM

Hammer some copper pipe flat and use that to make a copper buss.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 01-14-2007, 01:12 AM

LockTite is NOT conductive, and in fact, is a pretty good insulator.

LockTite is INSIDIOUS in a joint/connection you want to use as an electrical connection.
When it solidifies, it partially crystallizes and pushes into places that would normally be a connection point.
When it's heated, it liquifies and 'hydraulics' it's way into places that would normally be connection points.

I hate to be a nag, but SOLDER, SOLDER, SOLDER...
Solder is the only reliable electrical connection.
Use star washers where you can't solder...

Tim is correct, and I've done that very thing myself.
Smash shut a piece of copper tubing, use some brass screws and nuts, and make your own ground buss that is SOLDERABLE!
Can't break (or beat) a ground a soldered ground connection.
Solder in your brass screws to the tubing and you don't have to worry about the darn screws turning when you are trying to put nuts on them or a connection problem from loosing or corrosion...

Make sure you use a good size wire for your dash ground so you don't wind up with a 'Ground Loop' thing going on...
With all the dash lights, gauges, switches ect that ground there, you need about a 10 Ga. primary ground to hook up your buss.
post #8 of (permalink) Old 01-15-2007, 07:44 AM
Keyboard Implanted

Ever thought about this:

Mount a braided Ground strap behind the dash. Ground it out. Then tie your grounds into the Strap. Then you don't have to drill a bunch of holes into your Powder coated dash.
post #9 of (permalink) Old 01-15-2007, 11:04 AM Thread Starter
Keyboard Implanted

I did that Malbritton, except it was a 10ga wire. Mmm, copper pipe, I like it, grounded and mounted to to the body behind the dash, and a 10ga to the battery.

Thanks y'all! I had a feeling JYG would have some definite thoughts on this [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
post #10 of (permalink) Old 01-15-2007, 12:22 PM

Don't you blame me for this!

It was TiminMb's Idea, blame him!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode