Looking for Decent Speedometer Assembly 72 CJ5 - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 01-11-2007, 02:11 AM Thread Starter

Looking for Decent Speedometer Assembly 72 CJ5

I bought a speedometer assemble about a year ago for my 72 CJ5. From day one the speedometer was jumpy and then the guages started working only when they feel like it and now do not work at all. This speedoometer says ADO in the space between the fuel guage and temp. I would like to find one that is not a piece of junk Like this one any suggestions? [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cussing.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 01-11-2007, 06:25 AM

Re: Looking for Decent Speedometer Assembly 72

Before giving up on what you have, take a run at fixing it. The problems you describe have several possible causes more likely than a faulty meter assembly.

The jumpy speedo reading is caused by a lack of lube or a kink in the cable - the inner core, not the jacket. A parts store will have speedo cable lube, and a replacement cable. Lubing and replacing the cable are both easy and cheap.

The problems with the electrical gauges are most likely caused by a bad ground of the meter head, or by bad sending units, bad grounds at the sending units, or funky wiring between the sending units and the gauges. Since both meters were intermittent and now have quit entirely, a bad ground of the meter head is the most likely culprit.

For more help with the electricals, look here:

Fix Those Gauges by our own John Strenk.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 01-11-2007, 10:40 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for the Help. I did replace the speedo cable,and looked for kinks.It is more about bumpy roads,it works ok on a smooth road,but if you hit a bumpy road it is all over the place. I tried grounding right from the battery to the frame work of the gauges(the chrome trim on the front) and no results. I replaced the temperature sending unit. The tank and sending unit are fairly new. Is there actually a grounding connection on the back of the assembly? The link you gave was useful,but the second page was no longer available.Anyway thanks for your help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 01-11-2007, 11:05 AM
Way Outta Control

I'd put a variable speed drill on the speedo cable. Then run the drill at varied speeds. That will prove if the cable and the speedo are good, or not.

As for the John's information, go to these sites...

http://users.adelphia.net/~john.stre...ageGauges1.htm

http://www.luanjp.com/images/Mod/Ele...eQuickTest.htm

http://www.geocities.com/cantwait_fo...ce/gauges.html
post #5 of (permalink) Old 01-11-2007, 12:54 PM Thread Starter

Wow! thanks Leve for some good information. I appreciate it.It looks like i do have it hooked up right though.
It seems there are only two assembles to choose from. One by VDO which i have and one by Omix-ADA. Which would be the better of the two if i have to replace the whole unit?I am not to impressed with the one i have (VDO) but might just have gotten a lemon.What kind are other people running and not having problems with?
post #6 of (permalink) Old 01-11-2007, 01:40 PM

I had two Stewart Warner electronic speedometers that failed, one in about 3K miles and the other in just a few hundred. I now have a VDO electronic that's working fine a year and a couple thousand miles later.

I especially like the calibration procedure. You push a button, drive an exact mile, push the button again and it's done. Change tires or gears and do it over. It only takes a few minutes.

The needle bouncing on a rough road surprises me. It means that the needle movement isn't properly damped. I would expect that to be a manufacturing defect. Did you contact VDO about the problem?

You might want to follow the diagnostic procedures in John's writeup. Just because you've made the connections properly doesn't mean that there's not something loose or broken in the wiring.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 01-11-2007, 02:19 PM Thread Starter

That sounds like an excellent speedometer! Especially the adjustment feature. Where did you find it?What model? Does it retro fit right into the CJ5 dash? Thanks for the input
post #8 of (permalink) Old 01-11-2007, 06:49 PM

No, it's a generic model. Came from a company called Van's, here.

Under product lines there's a link to the VDO website. As I recall the speedo was about $140 and the sender was about $100. But then there were the other gauges, and all the work to do this:

The VDO looks similar to the SW but has an LCD odo and the calibrate button on the face.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1553006-DSCN1115b.JPG (27.1 KB, 6 views)
post #9 of (permalink) Old 01-11-2007, 08:24 PM Thread Starter

NICE WORK!!! You have given me alot to think about I appreciate the help. I might just make the switch to Electronic. How do they handle the switch from speedometer cable? Do they have some adapter for a t-18 tranny or how do they make the transistion. The VDO website says their speedometer is only 3 1/8" Your SW looks bigger than that. That would be one drawback. It all seems to make sense to upgrade except from a nostalga standpoint,since my jeep is highly modified anyway.Thanks
post #10 of (permalink) Old 01-12-2007, 06:39 AM

No, that's a 3 1/8" gauge. Lots of transmissions use the same speedometer output fitting, including the T18. No problem there. The sending unit screws right on.

One thing I might have done differently is to get or make an adapter to put the sending unit on the end of the cable, up under the instrument panel. That would protect it from trail damage, shorten wireing, and make it easier to hook up my Halda rally odometer. Ah dunno.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode