Radio - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 01-08-2007, 08:09 PM Thread Starter
Journeyman

Radio

Hi guys I was wondering about an am/fm radio. I put a heatercraft heater in my cj and clearance is real slim where the radio goes in the dash. I would like to keep it in the dash if possible. I don't need anything fancy just functional. No tunes stinks. Thanks guys
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 01-08-2007, 08:33 PM
Official Curmudgeon

Re: Radio

My advice is to buy the cheapest one you can find at Kmart or Wally world. Don't do anything special to protect it from theft.

If you’re lucky, a thief will recognize it as a cheap model and not bother. If somebody does try to steal it at least maybe they won’t destroy the dash.

Knew a girl had a Jeep with nice radio. Summertime, softtop on, radio installed to keep it from being stolen. Thief pried out the dash but still couldn’t get it. He got mad and broke the glass out of all of her gauges.

Of course that won’t help you with a really stupid thief. I had a dune buggy in storage, they stole the AM/FM/8 TRACK PLAYER and broke out the ignition tumbler WITH THE KEY IN IT,
post #3 of (permalink) Old 01-08-2007, 10:13 PM
Keyboard Implanted

Make sue you get one with a aux in. Then you ca get a MP3 player, and lock it in your center console or glove box. I don't even use CDs anymore!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 01-09-2007, 06:40 AM
Keyboard Implanted

The Idea of getting a really cheap one is a good Idea. Radio's just don't seem to hold up in a jeep enviroment. Lots of dust, dirt, sometimes water, and a lot of bouncing around. Any time I have had a radio in a Jeep it has lasted about a year, maybe a little longer.
So now, I just run my jeep with no radio at all, and I don't miss it much.
If you do want a radio.. I have always though it was a good idea to put the radio in a center console, that can be closed. Out of site, much less likley to get stolen.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 01-09-2007, 08:01 AM
Keyboard Implanted

I got an 8 Track that hangs from the dash if you want it. comes complete with an AM/FM tuner cassette that plugs in like a Tape. I promise, no one will ever steal it! [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
post #6 of (permalink) Old 01-09-2007, 12:48 PM
Keyboard Implanted

On my Jeep I went with the Sony Xplod system, it has lasted longer than any other radio I ever had. It has some cool features that work real well in the Jeep.
All the xplod speakers are "splash resistant" and fit in the dash.
The faceplate rotates down to access the CD, covering the CD slot when in use (reduces dust).
The faceplate swivels around and looks like a blank plastic cover when the Jeep is off (The removable faceplate became a pain after awhile)
It has a great wired remote that mounts on my lockbox and I can control everything (especially volume) by reaching down between the seats without taking my eyes off the road

The faceplate also flips down so I can see it at an angle while driving.
I *think* I paid $120 for it, so far, so good.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1552754-sony.jpg (6.2 KB, 9 views)
post #7 of (permalink) Old 01-09-2007, 03:41 PM
Veteran

My factory TJ CD player lasted 3 years. When it broke I got a sweet deal on a Blaupunkt CD/mp3 player. It has removeable face and I park it at work with no top or doors all summer. I still have it, but it is starting to skip when playing from a disc. If you get one just don't spend much because it will either get stolen or get too much Mother Nature in it and quit working. Maybe try a marine radio?

http://www.overtons.com/modperl/over...sle&catnum=2L6
post #8 of (permalink) Old 01-09-2007, 10:19 PM
Old Hand

I ran a "Cummings" radio in my CJ. it comes from a company that drives in a couple of Semi trucks and sells at a discount all sorts of off brand "stuff". Paied about $10. for the radio and $10 for speekers and it worked OK. finaly rebult my dash and removed it all together.
I wonder how a Ipod or MP3 player with external speekers would work???
post #9 of (permalink) Old 01-10-2007, 08:24 PM Thread Starter
Journeyman

Thanks guys . Two of my concerns were theft & clearance to the heatercraft heater. My home was burglarised twice in one year so thats allways in the back of my mind.
post #10 of (permalink) Old 01-10-2007, 09:07 PM
I Might Just Know What I'm Talking About

[ QUOTE ]
My home was burglarised twice in one year

[/ QUOTE ]

And they think LA is bad....I haven't been burglarized ever...

The real key to not getting something ripped off is to not have anything that someone wants.....rule of thumb (not sure who Thumb was, but he has a lot of rules), if they don't see it, they don't want it.....so...keep it out of site....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode