road tire recommendations - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 01-08-2007, 05:13 PM Thread Starter
Veteran

road tire recommendations

i have been running 33" bfg mud's on the jeep for 2 years. i never realized how loud they are until i bought a used set of 31" at's for my relocation/road-trip to alabama. so now i am really liking the quiet and the added mpg. so i am looking for some tires that are better for dd use but still are marginal for the occasional spontaneous excursion. i have not been impressed with bfg at's in the passed. also i know that tires also vary in size between manufacturers. the current 31's (are pretty worn) but only measure 29" so i would like something somewhere between them and my 33's (i think they are 32" new)

so any recommendations for a quiet, 30something tire that doesn't totally suck off-road?

thanks
shawn
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 01-08-2007, 09:45 PM
Keyboard Implanted

Re: road tire recommendations

Hmmmm, If you weren't impressed with the BFG AT's, I'm not sure what will impress you short of a mud tire. I've always had BFG AT's on my DD trucks and have been happy with them. Good in snow, rain, dry, they only get a little loud once they are almost worn out, but the only 'off roading' they see is the occational trip down the trail to our cabin (not too treacherous) in the winter, or dry weather wheelin in that same area. Everything is pretty solid though, no need for Mud Tires.

Maybe a set of 'street' tires like long trails or something like them, and a set of nasty off road claw tires...I know, thats the same reason I dont have 2 sets of tires ($), but everything is a compromise one way or the other.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 01-08-2007, 10:17 PM Thread Starter
Veteran

yes, 2 sets of tires is the plan. i am keeping my bfg muds for more serious weekend excursions, but am looking for a milder set for dd duty...

thanks
shawn
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 01-09-2007, 03:26 PM
I Might Just Know What I'm Talking About

For the most part, you only really have two choices for a road tire....BFG AT's or Pro Comps AT. My vote would be for the BFG since I think they ride a little softer....but both do very well on road and should do pretty good in that FL sand.

I would just make sure you go with the widest tire you can...a wider tires does better in sand.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 01-09-2007, 03:57 PM Thread Starter
Veteran

sorry, i just updated my profile. as of last week, i now live in huntsville alabama, so no sand. the jeep is going to be MUCH happier here (i hate sand!). so how do long trails compare with at's?

thanks
shawn
post #6 of (permalink) Old 01-09-2007, 10:01 PM

I thought radial mud terrains were a road tire, TSL's were an AT, and boggers were a mud tire????

We sold a ton of Kumho At's at my old work, great road tires/ "hunting tires".
post #7 of (permalink) Old 01-09-2007, 10:10 PM
Old Hand

Stay away from Yokohoma Geolander AT. They dont last at all, less than 2 years, 15k miles (on a Grand Cherokee). Buddy had them on a YJ and they only lasted 1 year.

I am currently running running Wrangler MT's and love them. They are quiet and seem to bee good for traction. They came with the jeep and are about 50% tread left. Dont know how old they are or the miles on them. but the jeep only has 38K on it. They suck on Ice and I have yet to put them on a trail (winter sucks [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wall.gif[/img]) But they bulge out real good when aired down.
Good Luck
post #8 of (permalink) Old 01-10-2007, 07:58 AM

Shawn,

I"m running Bridgestone Dueler AT's...31x10.5s, I think they have bigger, but I've been real happy with them for both on road and off road.
post #9 of (permalink) Old 01-10-2007, 09:32 AM
I Might Just Know What I'm Talking About

I'll have to 2nd the Dueler vote. I have a set on my Crew Cab. They have great traction and a ton of siping. They currently have about 55k miles on them and i'll probably get about 70k out of them. Will buy again in a heartbeat.
post #10 of (permalink) Old 01-10-2007, 10:08 AM
Way Outta Control

The BFG MUDS and AT's seemed to have a bout the same noise level to me. The reason I used them was a friend was able to get them for me cheap.

But - never again! The sidewalls rip super easy! If there's anything sharp within a mile, they'll find it and self destruct!

So far I've destroyed 8 or 9 of them - on my Jeeps and even on a pick-up that I only use to run to the dump!
The last set of the BFG Muds were the new "improved" version. The first one lasted only about 2 months.
I have 2 more to go until they are all gone - now every time I get in the truck I check to see that I've got a jack and the spare is aired up. It's inevitable!

They've been getting replaced by MTR's - noisier, don't last long, and very pricey (and I don't get the blood brother "deal") - but I've never ripped a sidewall on one yet.

I have a nice set of 36" Swamper I'm dying to try out too.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode