Issues accessing the board from home ? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 01-08-2007, 08:50 AM Thread Starter
Keyboard Implanted

Issues accessing the board from home ?

for some reason my browsers (firefox and IE both) wont connect to anything www.off-road.com related from home.

works fine from work

i tried clearing caches and cookies and all that jazz but still no luck.

i turned off my cable modem and router today, in hopes that something will reset when i get home and turn it back on.

its been out of commission for several days now.

any suggestions??? [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]
or should i take it as a sign from God that I'm here too much [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 01-08-2007, 09:03 AM
Way Outta Control

Re: Issues accessing the board from home ?

What error do you get?

When you get home go to:

<ul type="square">[*]Start[*]Run[*]Type in Command[*]A DOS box will open, and you'll be at the "C" prompt[*]At the "C" prompt type in: ping 66.209.65.23, and let us know what happens[*]At the "C" prompt type in: ping bbs.off-road.com, and let us know what happens[/list]
Have you checked your IE and Firefox Security settings? If they're too high, that can kill connections to Off-road.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 01-08-2007, 10:46 AM
Can't Get Enough

Same thing here, Greg.
Last night I bypassed my router and connected straight to the modem. Everything worked fine.
Reset the router, ran back through it, and nothing again.
All other sites that I frequent seem fine, only issue is with ORC, and if I remember right it started Thursday. Might have been Wednesday.
I wrote it off as the update mentioned at the top, but then Friday noticed I could get there from work, like I am right now.
I checked for any weird filters in the router last night and didn't see anything that would filter out any one particular url or clump of IP addresses.
I don't like to do this from work like I am now, but I wanted to see if anyone else was having issues.
Any ideas anyone?
I wonder if anyone NOT using a router is having trouble?
Could the new server be filtering out traffic from specific IP's, as in the default 192.168.0.X as is used with the majority of routers and users too lazy to change it, such as myself?
Hopefully someone will have some assistance or ideas soon.
I'll check again before I go home and hope for help.
I sure hope nothing too exciting has happened in the past 4/5 days.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 01-08-2007, 12:37 PM

Same with me...
Netscape or nothing from home.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 01-08-2007, 12:47 PM Thread Starter
Keyboard Implanted

wonder how many people are having said problem and just cant get online to complain about it! [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]
post #6 of (permalink) Old 01-08-2007, 01:08 PM
Can't Get Enough

No problems from my end in Denver.....and I'm running off a wireless network at the Extended Stay. I tried with Firefox and IE both.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 01-08-2007, 01:16 PM
Keyboard Implanted

Actually home works office is down. It seems to be a DNS update issue, some DNS servers can get the off-road.com domain, some can't. I saw this late last week. My DNS I run here can't get it so I had to hard code the bbs.off-road.com into my laptop directly to get it to work. Scroll to the end if you want the solution.

A quick and dirty explanation of DNS for those of you who would like to know what it is. "Domain Name Service" is simply a name to number lookup system like a phone number lookup for computers. All computers on the internet are addressed by a TCP/IP numbering scheme like 66.55.444.232. A DNS server converts a name like bbs.off-road.com to the number, so your computer can reach the web server bbs.off-road.com to request the web page you are asking for. Your computer first looks at a internal list file called "hosts" (a old way of accessing systems before DNS servers become prevalent) and if the entry is not found, it accesses the primary DNS server given to you by your ISP (Or router). If the primary DNS does not respond (NOT if the entry is not found, common misconception) it will try the secondary DNS given by your ISP. DNS lookups at the server given to you by the ISP are done in a reverse order, first it looks for servers handling to .com domain (in the bbs.off-road.com example) then asks that server that handles the .com, for off-road.com server, then asks the off-road.com server for the address of bbs.off-road.com. As you can see, DNS updates can be tricky, and if not done correctly can effect access.
Now, why can you not access the bbs.off-road.com server by just typing in http://67.98.26.64 ? Becouse the website refers to all it's components (Scripts, pictures, etc.) in a relative way such as http://bbs.off-road.com/ubbthreads/newreply.php (which is a script BTW). Therefore needs to know how to reach bbs.off-road.com.

Ok, how to temporarily fix:
Seach on your computer for the file "hosts" (Should be in C:\windows\system32\drivers\etc) right-click on the file and choose "open". Windows will ask what application you want to use to open the file, choose "NOTEPAD" (DO NOT USE ANYTHING ELSE!) at the very bottom type in (Do Not paste this)
67.98.26.64 bbs.off-road.com
The spaces between the 67.98.26.64 and bbs.off-road.com are a TAB! Not actual spaces. So type 67.98.26.64(TAB)bbs.off-road.com. Save the file, and try connecting, if it does not work, reboot your computer.

At some time they may change the location of the BBS, so you would want to delete the entry, save, reboot and try again if you are not able to connect in the future.

Any questions, let me know
post #8 of (permalink) Old 01-08-2007, 02:55 PM
Can't Get Enough

Thanks, Scott.
I'm about out of here for the day, so hopefully I will be able to get on later and thank you again.
post #9 of (permalink) Old 01-08-2007, 04:22 PM
Can't Get Enough

That'll do it.
Thanks, Scott.
post #10 of (permalink) Old 01-08-2007, 06:53 PM Thread Starter
Keyboard Implanted

well it works...kinda

the connection is really really SLOOOOOOOOOOOOOOWwwwwwwww

did what you said with the "hosts" file

it loads, but takes several minutes to load any page from ORC....

any more ideas to solve this one, oh-wise-computer-jeep-man? [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bow.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode