CJ7 1978 Frame vs. 1986 Frame - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 01-07-2007, 09:51 PM Thread Starter

CJ7 1978 Frame vs. 1986 Frame

I want to swap out the from on my 1978 CJ with a 304/Q-tech tranny. How hard would this be using a 1986 frame. Can it be done without welding"?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 01-07-2007, 10:16 PM
Way Outta Control

Re: CJ7 1978 Frame vs. 1986 Frame

IIRC the back side tub mounts (in front of the rear wheels) are different locations. Yours are further froward than the later frame. Other that that it's the same.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 01-08-2007, 01:07 AM
Veteran

[ QUOTE ]
IIRC the back side tub mounts (in front of the rear wheels) are different locations. Yours are further froward than the later frame. Other that that it's the same.

[/ QUOTE ]

Wellll, ifin I recall there's no difference in body mount positions on cj7 frames from at least 76-86. Front shock mounts will be tall mounts instead of short, skid plate bolt pattern may be different depending on what tranny was in the donor frame, brake line brackets at the front wheels might be a bit different, possibly a couple other minor details, but I don't think the body mounts are different.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 01-09-2007, 12:21 PM
Journeyman

Aren't the front shock mounts different (NT vs WT)? So if you don't want to weld/fab NT mounts onto a WT frame, then plan on using shocks for a WT (better anyway).
post #5 of (permalink) Old 01-09-2007, 04:53 PM
Keyboard Implanted

I cant say anything about the body mounts, but I not for sure that the front shock mounts are different, and i cant remember for sure but i think the rear shock mounts are in a different spot.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 01-09-2007, 06:53 PM
Veteran

[ QUOTE ]
I cant say anything about the body mounts, but I not for sure that the front shock mounts are different, and i cant remember for sure but i think the rear shock mounts are in a different spot.

[/ QUOTE ]

Rear shock mounts are the same. I laid out the only major differences in my post above. I'm on my third frame swap right now ranging from a 1979 to a 1985. The only major difference due to model yeare in the FRAME are the front shock mounts. Any other differences are minor, with the exception of the bolt hole pattern for the skid plate and that is more dependent on what drive train you had rather than what year the frame was/is.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 01-09-2007, 08:32 PM
Keyboard Implanted

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Rear shock mounts are the same. I laid out the only major differences in my post above. I'm on my third frame swap right now ranging from a 1979 to a 1985. The only major difference due to model yeare in the FRAME are the front shock mounts. Any other differences are minor, with the exception of the bolt hole pattern for the skid plate and that is more dependent on what drive train you had rather than what year the frame was/is.

[/ QUOTE ]

I still think the rear shock mounts are forward more on the newer frames. When we grafted a 86 frame rail section into my 80, i remember going nutz trying to figure out why my measurements were so far off. Im pretty sure we used the shock mount to get a rough cut. Its been awhile but, i think it was forward like 6 inches or so. Ill be at the yard this weekend and i will have to take a look.
post #8 of (permalink) Old 01-10-2007, 09:29 AM
Journeyman

I just compared my 80 to my 84, measuring from the bolt on the fixed hanger of the rear spring to the shock mount stud and they were both approx. 18" appart.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode