Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 01-07-2007, 11:43 PM
I Might Just Know What I'm Talking About

Re: O/T I hate this stuff...

[img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]
Thanks Larry.
I like the oldie music.
Currently I have over 11000 mp3s, but i may have to save some of these.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 01-08-2007, 06:07 AM

My first real job was flipping burgers. Five for a dollar was the regular price. Fridays it was seven fish sandwiches for a buck. But the parking lot never looked that good. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 01-08-2007, 10:05 AM
Official Curmudgeon

Pretty much the usual stuff at first glance but look closely and youíll find some early Buddy Holly in í56 before his hit with Peggy Sue.

My Boy Lollipop by Barbie Gaye in Ď57, Millie Small wouldnít chart with that song until í64.

I see Billy Blandís - Let The Little Girl Dance on there. I won the ďDreaded Morning OldieĒ on a radio contest by calling in and naming it one morning. I was the only caller

Both versions of Alley Oop by both The Hollywood Argyles and Dante & The Evergreens.

I see My Little Margie, Gale Storm, made the list.

There are songs and artists that Iíve never heard of on there and arenít listed on my chart of Billboard top 100 pop hits 1890 to 2006. Some could be regional artists. There are many, many that I donít have in my 36,000+ mp3s mostly made from my more than 1000 CDs and I usually seek out the obscure hits that I havenít heard in 40-50 years.

Nice find.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 01-08-2007, 10:22 AM
Enthusiast

That is a great post. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/yourock.gif[/img] I haven't heard Beep Beep for a long time. My Mom used to play it all when I was growing up. I like it. Saw Carl Perkins in Utah once. Awesome show.
Thanks LEVE. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif[/img]
post #6 of (permalink) Old 01-08-2007, 11:21 AM
I Might Just Know What I'm Talking About

"There are songs and artists that Iíve never heard of on there and arenít listed on my chart of Billboard top 100 pop hits 1890 to 2006. Some could be regional artists. There are many, many that I donít have in my 36,000+ mp3s mostly made from my more than 1000 CDs and I usually seek out the obscure hits that I havenít heard in 40-50 years."

Do you have every episode of "Spin and Marty" saved to DVD's, too?
[img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/40BEER.gif[/img]
post #7 of (permalink) Old 01-08-2007, 06:38 PM
Keyboard Implanted

[img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img] Speaking as one of the "actual" Grafitti Kids, I can tell you that the drive-in shown is almost a duplicate of Mel's Drive-In at the north end of Eleventh Street in Modesto CA.....part of the "loop" that we used to "drag" (We never used the term "cruise") every Friday and Saturday night; a location that was the "seed" material for local boy George Lucas' movie: "American Grafitti". I also have to let you know that 1957 was THE LAST GOOD YEAR. As we matriculated in the Fall semester of '57, those inconsiderate Russians launched the SPUTNIK, and all of a sudden we had to study in high school so we could: "Beat the Russians", and then those of us who did go on to college to study and beat the Ruskies had the spectre of the Viet Nam war dogging us every semester. How do you study hard and learn Organic Chemistry when you are CONVINCED that you'll be lying face down in a rice paddy in SE Asia in twelve months? [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img] I do love that 50's music and luckily there is a station nearby that plays it so when I am driving that big John Deere tractor, with the sound-deadening cab and the superb stereo, it's all about oldies, oldies, oldies. I was in a Fita-Six Chevy as a passenger in the summer of '62 and just as DUKE OF EARL was playing, and the third "Duke" was being hammered out, BLAMO! We got t-boned in an intersection just a few blocks from the drive-in. It destroyed a perfectly good '56 Chevy 150 coupe. Does any one of you even KNOW what a 150 is? [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
post #8 of (permalink) Old 01-08-2007, 06:57 PM Thread Starter
Way Outta Control

[ QUOTE ]
...It destroyed a perfectly good '56 Chevy 150 coupe. Does any one of you even KNOW what a 150 is? [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

Sure... I ain't that young!

post #9 of (permalink) Old 01-08-2007, 07:03 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Does any one of you even KNOW what a 150 is?

[/ QUOTE ]

My recollection is that it was the poor cousin to the 210, which was the poor cousin to the Bel Air. For example, IIRC the '57 Bel Air had the brushed stainless inserts on the rear fenders; the 210 had only trim strips forming the outline, the 150 had only the one strip that formed the lower part of the fender trim, and the 110 had no shiny stuff at all. Maybe even had painted bumpers.

The power company provided them for the meter readers, the phone company had them for the supervisors, railroads gave them to the cinder dicks and so on. I don't recall ever seeing one in a showroom. I suspect that they were almost exclusively bought on fleet deals.

By the late '50s a few were on the used car lots, but they were mostly denizens of the back rows when they showed up at all. Most of them were pretty much worn out in fleet service.
post #10 of (permalink) Old 01-09-2007, 04:58 PM
Keyboard Implanted

[img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img] Crapo! The little '56 we were in was solid white and had NO TRIM on the sides. Could it have actually been a 110? I THINK the rear windows were functional and it did have a stock rear seat. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img] Many of the "minimum" cars back in them days had no back seat. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img] The Dodge/Plymouth/Chrysler dealer told my dad that he hated those "cheapo" deals and intentionally bid to NOT get them because it was bad advertising in his sales area for the Chrysler family. When you drive around in a piece of crap all day, would YOU buy that same make for a personal car? Even when you KNOW you are driving the poor boy version, you still cannot quite imagine the upper end models being that much better. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img] Does anyone ever remember a bona-fide BUSINESS COUPE with the file drawers in the back where the seat usually goes? [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode