Jeep Mechanic in upstate NY - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 01-07-2007, 04:02 PM Thread Starter

Jeep Mechanic in upstate NY

I/m looking for a Jeep Mechanic in or around the Watertown area that has exp with the Holley Fuel Injection System.I have a 87 Jeep Wrangler and would like to get some things done.
Mike
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 01-08-2007, 05:56 AM

Re: Jeep Mechanic in upstate NY

Mike,

On this board we're mainly do-it-yourself types, and offhand I can't think of anyone in the upstate area. There are a couple in New Hampshire who might be able to help you out.

There's been an on-going thread about Howell F.I. that might enlighten you. What else do you want to have done? Is there any possibility of doing some of it yourself? The '87s were still fairly simple electrically, and the mechanicals are pretty much blacksmith material.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 01-08-2007, 08:36 AM
Way Outta Control

There seems to be an unwritten rule with a lot of mechanics, and that is if it ain't bone stock they won't work on it. A lot of Jeeprs found this out when the bought the MOPAR/HESCO MPI system and installed it on their 4.2L CJ/YJ engines. They'd take it into a garage to be worked on and it would be turned away. The system was pretty much a bolt on conversion off a 91-94 YJ 4.0L MPI engine modified to fit on a 4.2L carbed engine. The mechanics wouldn't touch 'em. They did not feel comfortable with the modifications. They didn't have factory schematics, flowcharts or other diagnostic aids... even though they could simply follow the 4.0L engine diagnostics. Because of that they were wary of working on the engine and then warranting their work. You're asking them to think out the problem, and many shops don't have mechanics that are not used to that. Often they'll use diagnostic equipment to lead them to the answer. If they have no confidence in the equipment, they're lost.

That means you'll be looking for an old-school guy who's going to be able to do everything he needs to from the seat of his pants diagnostic. He's learned his craft by experience and making lots of mistakes and correcting them. These guys are thinning out of the ranks every day. They usually run their own Mom and Pop shops and word about their shop is spread by word of mouth. The downside of these guys is that they are getting left behind by the integration of computerized vehicle systems. Systems are becoming more sophisticated faster than they can keep up (the same thing is happening to dealer shops).

Where does that leave you? IMHO, with a HUGE learning curve. Most shops have never even seen a Holly Pro-jection system, let alone worked on one. You're almost asking the impossible. And, if you do find a shop willing to work on it, can you afford the cost for the mechanic to work on it? He's also going to have a huge learning curve that you'll be paying for....

Were I you, I'd be looking at the local speed shops and hot-rod clubs and engine builders for good recommendations. The Pro-jection system was the first of it's kind and was used on many, many different engines. It's going to take some time to find that mechanic.

Your other option...and again, it's my opinion, is to take it off and install an MC2100 in it's place. Removal of the system isn't hard, it's simply gutting everything and turning the clock back 20 years by installing the carb.

The other option is to really dig in and learn the Pro-jection system. You've got a great guy on the board who'd be willing to help and that's WILL. He's had his system for almost a decade. Is he thrilled with it? He doesn't seem to be, but he's also kept it running and working for that amount of time. There's got to be a little knowledge he's gleaned in a decade that can benefit you if you're willing to learn from him.

Pay your money, take your chances...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 01-08-2007, 08:32 PM Thread Starter

[ QUOTE ]
Mike,

On this board we're mainly do-it-yourself types, and offhand I can't think of anyone in the upstate area. There are a couple in New Hampshire who might be able to help you out.

There's been an on-going thread about Howell F.I. that might enlighten you. What else do you want to have done? Is there any possibility of doing some of it yourself? The '87s were still fairly simple electrically, and the mechanicals are pretty much blacksmith material.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks again for the replys....Well i am basically getting frustrated with the thing because I spend 3 to 4 hrs a day when I get home to try and figure this thing out with 0 luck.I don't mind doing all the work actually I'd rather do it all but like I said I am stumped and just looking for help.I need to replace all the brake lines,pads rotors etc as well as body lift for now.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode