OT - lots of driving and enough of drilling - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 01-04-2007, 11:40 PM Thread Starter
Journeyman

OT - lots of driving and enough of drilling

Hey,

I will soon be moving from Philadelphia, PA to Atlanta, GA. This entails a small caravan of me in the wrangler and the wife and kid in the cherokee. I figure the 1/2 point to be around Durham. Can anyone recommend a hotel to stay at and a restaraunt for dinner?

Also, does anyone have any tips on doing a tap for the first time. I broke a torx bolt off on my door and my kindly neighbor "helped" me by drilling into the remaining shaft of the bolt to free it, only to leave me with bolt remains in the screw traces. I've never had a chance to do it before and wanted to get some recommendations.

Thanks,
Mick
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 01-05-2007, 06:14 AM
Mud in my Veins

Re: OT - lots of driving and enough of drilling

I'd skip Durham and push on to Greensboro... less chance of being caught without your body armor & sidearm [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked.gif[/img] and many more lodging choices!

So, the "good samaritan neighbor" strikes again!
IF the hole he drilled in the shank is centered... use a larger bit to remove *most* of the bolt (leave the threads intact) and tap using the correct size tap & some lube. Do it *manually* and make sure it's perfectly square when it starts to bite so you don't crossthread and lose what you have...

IF it's NOT centered, you'll have to open it up as well as you can (without getting into the threads)... Sometimes you'll end up with a "half moon" slug left that can be picked/pried out... then just chase with the correct tap.

Where you headed in Atlanta? Southern Jeeps is a good club in that area... great folks (except for Herb that doesn't come around here anymore! [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img] )
post #3 of (permalink) Old 01-05-2007, 06:37 AM
Keyboard Implanted

Ditto on the Durham advice.

There are a couple of hotels in Hillsborough (just west of Durham) that are reasonable price and not gonna give you a disease. I'll get a list for you over the weekend. Couple of good resturants in Hillsborough or you can drop 15 minutes south to Chapel Hill/Carrboro and have a plethora to choose from. When you coming through?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 01-05-2007, 08:25 AM
Keyboard Implanted

Hey looky there, on the right of this thread.. an add for a $2.99 Wendys Delux Value Meal.. there's your food [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
post #5 of (permalink) Old 01-05-2007, 12:44 PM Thread Starter
Journeyman

[ QUOTE ]
Ditto on the Durham advice.

There are a couple of hotels in Hillsborough (just west of Durham) that are reasonable price and not gonna give you a disease. I'll get a list for you over the weekend. Couple of good resturants in Hillsborough or you can drop 15 minutes south to Chapel Hill/Carrboro and have a plethora to choose from. When you coming through?

[/ QUOTE ]

Disease free is always nice on a family trip. According to my wife, we're leaving the morning of Saturday 13th and arriving in Atlanta on th evening of the 14th. I am a bit skeptical as to her expectations. She'll have the three year old in the cherokee, and I'll be trying to haul a** to catch up.

Mick
post #6 of (permalink) Old 01-05-2007, 12:53 PM Thread Starter
Journeyman

[ QUOTE ]
So, the "good samaritan neighbor" strikes again!
IF the hole he drilled in the shank is centered... use a larger bit to remove *most* of the bolt (leave the threads intact) "

[/ QUOTE ]
I tried that but it seems that the remains have been pushed into the threads.

[ QUOTE ]
and tap using the correct size tap & some lube. Do it *manually* and make sure it's perfectly square when it starts to bite so you don't crossthread and lose what you have...
IF it's NOT centered, you'll have to open it up as well as you can (without getting into the threads)... Sometimes you'll end up with a "half moon" slug left that can be picked/pried out... then just chase with the correct tap.

[/ QUOTE ]

1) If I pooch this, would I then move to a bigger bolt?

2) If I do this correctly, would you recommend changing form torx bolts to a different head? I saw a number of other postings about it on jeep sites.

[ QUOTE ]
Where you headed in Atlanta? Southern Jeeps is a good club in that area... great folks (except for Herb that doesn't come around here anymore! [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img] )

[/ QUOTE ]

I haven't even see the house yet. Long story. We're renting for the first year until we get our bearings. I beleive it is in Atlanta in a neigborhood called Tucker(?).

At this point now I'm just crossing my fingers and gritting my teeth.

Mick
post #7 of (permalink) Old 01-05-2007, 12:57 PM
Way Outta Control

Just what bolt hole are we talking about on the door? Some bolt's will go into a crash bar. Some will go into metal that's on a flange that's spot welded onto the frame. If you do have to oversize the hole, it can be a problem.

You can fix it, but it takes enlarging the hole and possibly ruining the door skin. That's my worry.

Sometimes you can weld the hole a little, and get something for the new tap to cut threads into. Sometimes you can weld a nut behind the flange/bar and use it as an anchor. It all depends on where the hole is located that you're trying to tap.
post #8 of (permalink) Old 01-06-2007, 11:34 PM Thread Starter
Journeyman

Hey Leve,

I am working on the floating piece whithin the door behind where the hinge attaches. I am sure it has a name, but I don't know it and don't have the time to verify it.

Also when I finish this what are your thoughts on the switch from torx heads? What is your opinion of the most reliable shape for flat surface bolts?

Thanks,
Mick
post #9 of (permalink) Old 01-07-2007, 10:46 AM
Mud in my Veins

I used to live in Tucker! 2 sets of inlaws still there (Lawrenceville/Lilburn), so maybe we can hookup during an upcoming trip?

I'd go with the same style bolt in an allen head... *if* a regular hex head won't clear...
post #10 of (permalink) Old 01-08-2007, 02:43 PM
Way Outta Control

You can see from the picture that the hinge plates on the door do float... somewhat. Like the tub mounts they're in a capture box. The box is spot welded to the side of the door frame.

If you were to remove those spot welds, the box would drop and you could retrieve the plate and make all the repairs you needed. Then simply spot weld the plate back in place when you're done.

That's the cleanest way to do the repair.

As for the torx bolts? That's a good question. I just used grade 5 bolts when I replaced my hinge torx bolt. I did put a washer behind them, but nothing fancy like conical washers that would nestle down into the 3/8" recess of the hinge.

Last edited by LEVE; 03-24-2009 at 07:43 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode