Frame Swap - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 12-03-2006, 12:47 PM
Wheezer

Frame Swap

Has anybody heard of using a DJ5 (Postal) jeep frame for a CJ2A project? If not, does anybody know where I can get specs on the DJ frame? I'm trying to determine what it's gonna take to do this swap and any hurdles I may come accross.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 12-04-2006, 05:02 PM

Re: Frame Swap

I can't really help you, but this will bump the thread back to the first page. I have seen several people swap yj and cj7 bodies onto blazer and fs chevy frames, so i would think a cj2a body to a dj would be possible, hopefully someone else will chime in.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 12-04-2006, 06:28 PM
Official Curmudgeon

I think that the postal Jeep frame that you may have heard of is from a mostly experimental electric model. The frame was built heavy to be capable of supporting the batteries.

I replaced my CJ7 frame with one from AFW. Wasn’t bad and would have been better had the trucking company not run into my frame with a fork truck and then lost it for a while to delay discovery of their misdeed. I got another one built but that put me into bad weather by the time I got the swap complete. Still, it only took about a week to do.

I had almost no help. I didn’t pull the engine/transmission/transfer case assembly. I just set those on the ground with the frame still around it. The neighbor and his son-in-law helped me lift the old frame and set the new frame around the assembly.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 12-04-2006, 07:19 PM
Way Outta Control

Aren't the Postal's 2WD? I haven't looked at one for awhile, but I think the front of the frame is probably different to accept the 2wd axle. You may be in for a project of building an entirely new front frame or at least grafting it.

3 or 4 years ago a friend was considering converting his from right hand and 2 wheel drive to left and 4. As I remember it seemed to be too complicated for what it was worth.
I think even the front crossmember is different.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 12-04-2006, 09:12 PM
Official Historian

Postals are also right hand drive so you'd have to make a steering box mount on the left side.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 12-04-2006, 09:26 PM

Yeah, all the djs areond here are 2wd, our mail carrier uses one, along w/ most of the other carriers in our county.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 12-04-2006, 11:45 PM
Way Outta Control

I'm not sure if they all were - but around here the DJ's have a D-44 with low gears. If you can get them for next to nothing, they are a good find.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode