Dana 44 question - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 11-07-1999, 09:30 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Dana 44 question

I own a '53 Willys CJ3a , Dana 44 rear with 10 spline axleshafts. I would like to put a lock-right in this axle but
I'm not sure of the strength of the 10-spline shafts--I've heard they aren't very strong. Does anyone make a
30-spline 1-pc axleshaft conversion for this axle and if this kit exists could I put a lock-right for a D44 with
30-spline shafts in it? Thanks for your help, Erik A

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 11-08-1999, 06:41 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: Dana 44 question

on a stock willys the rear axle is bulletproof, spoa and 33's it lasted me half a year. 70 1/2 rear axles are offset diff 30 spline 44's if you can find one, if not currie or strange or anyone can probably build you an axle to put in there.

post #3 of (permalink) Old 11-08-1999, 07:25 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

I agree with Mytzlflick, the axles are fine for a stock CJ-3. I had a Lock-right in my stock CJ-2 running 32" tires for years with no problems. I did break an axle once, but I did that trying to pull out a full size Chevy truck.
Rob

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 11-08-1999, 11:06 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

you can go 30spl and go with a warn floater no problem. this will kill two birds at once. get rid of the weaker 10spl and 2pc axles. if you dont need the hubs in the back just order the floater with drive flanges. this is much stronger than 1pc and easier to service. you will want to get rid of the 9in brakes if you have them, the floater will only work with 11in or disc.

dan

I do not intend to offend,I offend with my intent
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode