New soft top questions!! - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 10-08-2006, 12:08 AM Thread Starter
Aprentice

New soft top questions!!

Hey guys,

I got a new soft-top off of craigslist for my girlfriends birthday. I was wondering if there is anything I should do to it before I put it on. I already got one thing I will be putting Zip-Slip on the zippers, its a zipper protector that looks like a big tube of lip-gloss. I use it to keep the zipper of my drysuit (scuba) working like butter. So I figure if it can protect my drysuit zipper from salt water then it should be able to protect the soft-top zippers. Is there any cloth or vynel protectant that I should throw on it?? Lemme know

Brannon
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 10-08-2006, 06:00 AM
Old Hand

Re: New soft top questions!!

I seem to remember that I had to lay mine out in the sun to warm up and make it more plyable. If you got new hardware remember measure twice cut (or drill) once. Take your time and as I always told my student divers...when a problem arrises, "Stop, breath, think, breath, react, breath" Good luck
post #3 of (permalink) Old 10-08-2006, 10:24 PM
Enthusiast

Re: New soft top questions!!

I am not sure what the stuff you want to use on the zippers is. In the days that I was scuba diving it was wet suits only, aluminum tanks were a new thing and I was using a single stage double hose regulator. You were really working for your money at 100 feet. The only concern I have is that you do not want to put anything on your zippers that likes to attract dust, (not that there is much dust in Western Washington in the winter) but it will surprise just how fast it can build up and gum up your zippers.

Another trick to use when itís cold is to use a hair dryer to help warm the fabric if need when putting the top on.

There is a lot of stuff on the market that is designed for tops. I do not use any of it on my tops but I treat them with kid gloves.

Kriss
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode