Spring Over? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 10-05-2006, 08:19 PM Thread Starter

Spring Over?

After numerous times of trying to figure out how to work the search function on this website, I have finally gave up, and am asking. Does anyone know who sells a spring over axle conversion kit for an 82' CJ7? Quadratec doesn't list one for my Jeep. They offer one for an 87'-95' Wrangler YJ. If not, I think I read where some of you had built your own and done it yourself in past posts. Any info would be appreciated. Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 10-06-2006, 09:54 AM

Re: Spring Over?

The thing about doing a spring-over is that you can get a dropped pitman arm in a junkyard, spring perches are easily made, longer brake lines and shocks are readily available, and everything else generally has to be made or modified depending on just how things work out.

You will probably have to change driveshaft lengths, but maybe not. You will probably have to have some kind of anti-wrap control on the rear axel, but maybe not. You probably won't need a longer pitman arm, but might. It usually seems to work out that way.

There are several right ways to do a SOA and apparently a lot of wrong ways. Learn to use the search function here. Clear out the "1" and "Week(s)" out of the 'Newer than' fields, and put them into the 'Older than' fields.

Also take a look at SCARY STEERING to see a bunch of the wrong ways to do it.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 10-06-2006, 09:56 AM

Okay, you might not get many responses as this topic has been covered many, many, many times.... I still think if you do a search for subject line "SOA" or "Spring Over" for the past 4 years you'll find more than enough information.

Warrior sells a kit and you can check these links as well:

Jeepgod's site
Warrior Kit
BBS Link
BBS Link

I have a spring-over and love it. It was a totally custom job though, and very time consuming-done by a local shop.

Good Luck!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 10-06-2006, 10:57 AM
Can't Get Enough

I just did a SOA on my '80CJ7. All custom fabbed by me. There are many write-ups on the web. Google for Jeep SOA and pick one.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 10-06-2006, 01:25 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

As noted...no ready made kits...but all the parts you need are available...
My input based on doing it to my 84 CJ....

1. Use stock wrangler springs front and rear.
2. Replace the front spring hanger with a stock rear hanger and move it forward 1" (Wrangler spring is a little longer). You will have to drill out the rivet in the front of the frame and use it for one of the bolts.
3. Make sure you use the longer spring perches.....Thor has a good link to a web site that sells 8" perches...this will drastically reduce spring wrap.
4. You can use stock Cherokee spring plates as your replacement spring plates...don't do the dorky thing and attach your shocks to the existing spring plates with them on top of the spring.
5. You will need longer brake lines and longer drive shafts....good time to buy that CV drive shaft you wanted.
6. Don't buy shocks until it's all done.....you need to measure the distance first...
7. Dont't weld the spring perches until you have the axles set up right...the rear needs to point up at the xfer case (that is why you want the cv ds first)...and the front should be properly alligned by an alignment shop before you weld.

There are a few more details....but collect your parts first and then we can talk.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 10-06-2006, 03:45 PM
Keyboard Implanted

SOA is simple, don't buy a kit, they are just gonna sell you the same things you will buy for more than you can buy them for seperately. Besides, IMHO Moore anti wrap perches are the way to go. You can make short ones longer, but moore has it all in a nice package. If you want a d44 they sell a version made to work with it. I have my own favorite way to do the dana 44 with Moores ofset perches. steering if done right will cost more than the lift, although some are happy without highsteer, I think it is the only way to go. Shackles, boomarang, normal, lenght? greasable? Non? You have alot of decisions you can make and do it ince or buy a kit and recieve a middle f the road setup that isn;t going to be complete. Aaron has had really good luck with the RE springs designed for springover.

Good luck, but for yourself and the comunity research it ask questions and do it right, cause lets face it you could end up dead if you don't. TTTthat said it is really simple once the geometry is set and you can just weld it all up.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode