Shocking confusion (another "which shock"...) - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 10-05-2006, 11:03 AM Thread Starter

Shocking confusion (another \"which shock\"...)

Here's the deal- I bought my g/f a '93 XJ, tossed a RE 3.5" lift on it and some 31" Kelly Safaris. I put ProComp ES3000s under it (I meant to order the 9000s but, well, screwed up and didn't notice 'till it was too late).

She loves the look, hates the ride. I can't blame her, my J10 rides better. I hear some people say Nitros are the only way to go, other say they increase the spring rate and make the ride stiffer (which makes sense to me as the RS5000 hydros on my MJ are disapointingly soft). I've heard that the ES1000s would be the softest shock to use, and others say they're absolute crap. Some say the ES9000 are softer than the ES3000, others say they're stiffer. Others tell me the RS5000s will feel the same as the ES3000s.

So, I'm confused as hell. I need to soften the ride on her Jeep. It's developing new squeaks and rattles from the harsh ride and I'm worries it'll cause an early death to something important.

How much would you blame this on the shock, and how much would you blame it on the lift? Anyone got a solution that doesn't involve bajaing the suspension into submission? Can anyone shed some truth on shocks and which would be appropriate for this application (almost entire street use).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 10-05-2006, 12:18 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: Shocking confusion (another \"which shock\"...)

First off....I bet you used polly bushings...right? It's a denser material and transmits all the vibration to the vehicle.

I have the RE 4.5" kit.....yea, it's a stiffer ride...it gets a little better with time...removeing the polly bushings helped.

Do you still have your stock tires? Put those back on and see what difference it makes...I think you will find that the larger tire will be part of the problem (more sprung weight).

To confirm the socks are also an issue...take them off for a minute...and just drive it around the block (don't go out on the open road). This should give you an idea of how much 'stiffness' they are adding.

BTW....you should really post this on the Mid Size board...that's where all teh XJ guys are.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 10-05-2006, 02:22 PM
Keyboard Implanted

John, this is news to me! I didn't know that driving around without socks on improved your suspension, I'll have to try it!
[ QUOTE ]
To confirm the socks are also an issue...take them off for a minute...and just drive it around the block (don't go out on the open road). This should give you an idea of how much 'stiffness' they are adding.

[/ QUOTE ]

And no, you should never go out into the open road without your socks on!

Enough kidding, do all the things John recomended, then if it is the shocks, I recomend the RS9000, sell your other shocks on Ebay. My wife loves the RS9000 as I can adjust them until her volume goes down [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
Plus there are times you want stiffer/softer shocks like driving on a winding road or wheeling. The in-cab control is great, on-the-fly control.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 10-05-2006, 09:08 PM Thread Starter

I would ask this on the mid-size forum, but Cherokees are for pansys and women and I'd rather get a male perspective on what's really going on. Over there I'd get a lot of "I feel this is the problem" or "why don't you paint it a softer color", etc. Real men drive SWB or pick-ups, so I came here.

bwhahahaha, just kidding! [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

I've got a budget, about $200. I looked up Rubicon Expresses website and am seriously considering their twin-tube shocks. They say that they are "specifically valved for the application". Hopefully that means I can tell them I'm ordering for a XJ with their RE6030 lift and I'll get shocks that do what I want. If they don't improve the ride I'm going to see about returning them!

Anyone have first-hand exp. with these shocks?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode