motor swaps which v8 to use - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 10-04-2006, 05:48 PM Thread Starter
Keyboard Implanted

motor swaps which v8 to use

As most of you know, my cj is a factory v8 jeep. Not that i dont like the 304, but it is a dog and i want injection. I had a plan and a 401 to drop in, but ended up selling the 401 for way too much money. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

At that point i kinda figured a 5.0 mustang swap was going to be the way to go. Run a AOD trans, which would give me overdrive for the road. This is still an option, but i doubt i would use the aod, probably just a three speed auto would be enough. I dont drive her on the road that much anymore.

Then the other day, i thought well why not a magnum 318 or 360 dodge motor. Plenty of torque and power, very proven motor. Stick a 727 behind it, which would make it easy for the 300 tcase.

So why not dodge power?

Looking for some ideas of the why's and the why not's of each motor.

Sorry Chevy fans, not in my jeep.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 10-04-2006, 08:07 PM
Can't Get Enough

Re: motor swaps which v8 to use

Jim,
Get you a 360 out of a Waggy, build it, and run it... You know this as well as I do, a big engine means you gotta build a running gear for it..
If you get a mild running 360 that will give you plenty of power, but not too much. The 727 is great, then do a 4:1 D 300 T-case,
Easy, bolt in, and done...Just make sure not to clock the D300 too high, you will have front driveshaft issues.
Pro-Jection is still a good system, you just gotta follow the directions to the note.
Unless you get the Edelbrock system $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$.
Drew (intoodeep) has the 5.0 and his jeep is all day, all night running well, I think he has a 3 speed manual something though.
Is the F**d tranny very long?

Here is the best idea.
Do yourself a favor, buy Heather a toy, and leave your jeep alone...Best money you ever spent....
Ricky...seeya...
post #3 of (permalink) Old 10-04-2006, 08:08 PM
Keyboard Implanted

I sat 5.0 for one reason aftermarket!

You can buy a bare bones harness for 200.00 a complete car with good roller motor like a lincon for 100 bucks and scrap the shell for more than you paid for the car. Or better yet get the explorer 5.0 I helped hook one up with the barebones harness from sumit and it took longer to figure out whre to mount the engine controls than to hook everything up. and lets face it the aftermarket has everything for these engines.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 10-04-2006, 09:28 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

A most excellent question....at least your doing the 'right' homework.
I kinda agree with Rio on the 5.0. Lots of parts out there...and it's about 3" shorter and 100lbs lighter than the GenI Chevy small block.
Other options are a Chevy 5.7L...especially the GenIII engine...over 350HP and it's a little lighter than the Ford 5.0 (GenIII have aluminum blocks).
If power is not the main concern, then the Chevy V6's (4.3L I belive) still have lots of power...220+.

I would go with the auto...I just finished a frame up on my 84CJ using a 5.7L TBI with the 4L60E auto....love it....wish I had done it sooner....I can get on the fwy while drinking a cup of coffee......and I get to pick my spot to merge instead of 'hoping' for a space....

Regardless of which newer engine you select, they all are about the same as far as electronics and the wiring go....it's the least of the problems.....
post #5 of (permalink) Old 10-04-2006, 10:28 PM
I Might Just Know What I'm Talking About

My 5.0 swap started out years ago, replacing the tired six cylinder with a 302 (bolted right to the t150 transmission). When that died I bought a '90 Crown vic and swapped the motor and EFI with it. Factory harness, unplugged and rewired with help from my brother. I did about 90% by myself, and he did the final wiring.

It really was straight forward.

I've since picked up an Explorer intake.

This hasn't been the best way to go about things. But I like the outcome. Very dependable swap.

My tranny was the T150(d20) originally. Then I swapped to a T176(d300).

I've since swapped the gears and output shaft with the those from a ford OD manual transmission. So now I have a 3 speed with OD manual.

I'm sure it's been covered, but I don't know of any Ford auto transmissions that swap easily. And typically Ford uses the wrong side "drop" on the transfercase to do you any good.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 10-04-2006, 10:34 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Jim,
Get you a 360 out of a Waggy, build it, and run it... You know this as well as I do, a big engine means you gotta build a running gear for it..

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree ricky, i like my 4.3's because there's enough power to keep me happy but are still pretty easy on the drivetrain. An AMC 360 with either GM tbi or projection would probably be the easiest/ simpliest swap. I like GM tbi because it's super simple. I can trouble shoot it on the trail and carry every spare sensor/ puter/ igniton part in a 50 cal amo can.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 10-04-2006, 10:44 PM
Enthusiast

You could always stay with an AMC V8 and put a Howell TB on it for about
$1,300. The 360 or that 401 you let get away would be a drop in for less fuss.

Didn’t Currie put a 5.7 out of a Grand Cherokee in their “Fire Ant” rock buggy because it makes 200 ft lb of torque at 1,500 RPM?

Just a thought.

Kriss
post #8 of (permalink) Old 10-05-2006, 09:00 AM
Official Historian

I second the Howell TBI. I have the projection and it is a real basic system. There is nothing to compensate for load or air temperature. If it is cool in the morning, it needs to be adjusted different than in the warm afternoon. It is better than a carb but there are better systems out there.

Another option (I know, it is chevy) is a 4.3L and a 700r4/4l60. It has the lowest first gear out there plus overdrive. The 4.3 should make more power than the 304 also.
post #9 of (permalink) Old 10-05-2006, 09:38 AM
Way Outta Control

I've been out on Crag's list, since hitting that pesky deer, just looking at what people are willing to sell. To my surprise I've been seeing a lot of 70's and 80's Diesel pickup's that aren't running. The cost have been between $500-$800. So, I've been thinking that would be a fun project to use the Pickup as a donor for a Jeep project or Power Wagon

I've got plenty of dreams, now I just need money.
post #10 of (permalink) Old 10-05-2006, 09:43 AM
Keyboard Implanted

[ QUOTE ]
Sorry Chevy fans, not in my jeep.

[/ QUOTE ]

I knew I liked you!! [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

I think you've got some great choices so far. AMC360, Ford 302, Dodge 318 or 360. I'd kinda lean towards the Dodge motors or the AMC360... Dodge first for the FI that you can find already installed.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode