SnowTires w/wo Studs? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 11-07-1999, 04:54 PM Thread Starter

SnowTires w/wo Studs?

i'm thinking about getting a second set of tires/wheels for my wife's CJ-8 daily driver to use only in the winter months, it does not leave the pavement very often, and currently run 32 x 11.5 All-Terrain BFG's on stock wheels.

i like the old jeep look, 15"(maybe 16") x 7 plain steel wheels with narrow mud and snow tires. (about 31" tall)

are studs good to have, i'm sure they have drawbacks? do narrow tires do better in the snow, (i'm talking On-Road use)
thanks for any help..............[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

3/4tonYJ
<font color=red>My Jeep Page
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 11-07-1999, 04:58 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: SnowTires w/wo Studs?

Got to go with skinny tires in the snow. The wider the tire the more of a tendency it has to float up on top of the snow(thats fun when you are in a unplowed parking lot that is wide open) but you don't want that. As far as studded tires go, they are great in the snow and make a nice tacking noise on dry pavement. If you live where you get a lot of snow they are a good investment. I live in upstate NY and I have never used them and haven't had a problem. On a 4 wheel drive vehicle I just haven't needed them.

absolutjeep
post #3 of (permalink) Old 11-07-1999, 05:29 PM
Keyboard Implanted

I use studded snows on my 88 Corsica ......on all 4 wheels......I leave them mounted and just swap em out in the spring. In eastern PA we don't usually get a lot of snow (darn it) but we are subject to frequent thaw daytime/freeze at night situations. So I've found them real handy. They allegedly rip up the road ........but I think that the commercail traffic does more damage. In a front wheel driver ... steering is a bit different and they are heavier than normal all seasons ....but this hardy applys to a jeep. Dry traction is marginally effected unless you're real heavy with the foot. They also usually have a lower speed rating than most all seasons.......so "light speed" highway use is discouraged. Stopping distance at high speed will probably be longer and they will lock up sooner than non studded tires. But when it comes to ice .......... they are a pleasent alternative to chains.
I'd be real interested in what is available in a 30 - 31" x 15 ........ I didn't think anyone made snow tires that were pinned for studding in the "LT" sizes.
The issue of narrow tires vrs. fatter tires depends on where the mass is in the vehicle .......on my 79 Volkwagan Rabbit Diesel ......the wider snows worked real well and I would "float" on top of most everything ......my buddy who had wide "floatation" tires on his 4WD Chevy pickup .......had to almost throw it in 4WD on even the slightest of inclines. I'd go with the narrow tread......

GeeAea

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 11-07-1999, 06:32 PM Thread Starter

some tires in around 31" x15(or16) i found that have "stud holes" are:

"SUPER TRACTION-TREAD" 30" and 32" at
http://www.coopertires.com/

i own a set of Q78 "buckshot mudders"(on my YJ) they have holes i think are for studs and they come in many sizes
http://mall.1st.net/fvm/showdetl.cfm...ID=65&CATID=10

3/4tonYJ
<font color=red>My Jeep Page
post #5 of (permalink) Old 11-07-1999, 07:01 PM
Way Outta Control

Well, I see you are going north... enjoy the snow!

I grew up and lived in the Pacific Northwest, from Fairbanks to the Cascade mountians outside Seattle. I put studs on in November and did not take them off until March.

Drawbacks... hummmm...

They do wear down bear pavement
Decreases stopping distance on bare pavement... a little.
Tends to make one over-confident.

Advantages:

Increased traction in compacted snow (ice!).
Increased traction in black ice.
Increased traction on hills (up and down!).

The cost of a set of tires is not much considering your safety. Befor you buy the tires... see what type of snow you have. In the PNW the snow is evil, wet and heavy. There was very little snow removal equipment, mostly only in the mountian passes... so we drove on compacted snow and ice. 6" of ice on the freeway can be interesting to drive on.

Here in the Midwest, they don't know how to drive on snow and ice because they do an excellent job of snow plowing and the rest is taken care of with salting. The pavement is normally bare and dry, except during the storm. Here studs are illegal anytime of the year because of the wear on the pavment.

Find out what most of the locals do and follow... that's my advice.

Good Jeepin'

Larry
post #6 of (permalink) Old 11-07-1999, 07:39 PM
Official Curmudgeon

I haven't owned a set of studded snow tires since I had a set on a '58 MGA back in the mid '60s (wish I
had that one back). Do the studs still pop out? This was a problem with the MG, it made little dimples
in the rear fenders and popped the paint off.

post #7 of (permalink) Old 11-07-1999, 09:34 PM
Keyboard Implanted

[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif[/img] Wot a coincidence......we were just getting around to scheming on what we were going to do to put the winter shoes on the SNOJEEP CJ7. The summer tires are 31 X 10.5 on very wide wheels. They would go about twelve or fourteen feet in snow before the forward motion ceased. I saw on the "for sale" forum that a Colorado Jeeper has some Michlin LTX M/S 275/70 R16 tires real cheap with 3K on them. That gave us an idea, but my question is.....where do we find some 16" wheels for our CJ7?? What used those wheels? We bought a set of Cooper Discoverers for the ZJ last year, and it absolutely climbs snowy hills like a snocat with the transer case in 4WD open.[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

CJDave
post #8 of (permalink) Old 11-08-1999, 09:39 AM
TEX

<font color=purple> The Cooper Super Traction Tread (STT) is what I now run exclusively on my road-going 4x4's. Don't have studs in mine (although they are set up for them), but they are a tremendous snow tire. Generally speaking, my truck can go up my drive in 2wd better with STT's than either of my front-drivers - the deeper it gets, the more this is true. Also, STT's will easily outlast BFG M/T's & have an OFF-ROAD warranty - which I once needed & took advantage of. They also handle great on the road. These tires are kind of loud & only get worse as they get below 1/2 tread. That's the only downside. </font color=purple>

TEX

[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img] Got Mud?
G.U.M.B.O. Mud Racing

post #9 of (permalink) Old 11-08-1999, 10:46 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

not being a big fan of studs i offer this idea. most tire shops have a sawdust(walnut) shell retread. these come in most popular sizes (7.50x15 is close to the size you are looking for) and have them siped. they are inexpensive, last for about two to four(depends on how many miles you put on them) seasons, and provide excellent traction on all but the worst ice. studs work better on sheet ice, but sawdust caps do a really good job in the nastiest conditions and have no effect on the road.

dan

I do not intend to offend,I offend with my intent
post #10 of (permalink) Old 11-08-1999, 12:58 PM
Can't Get Enough

If it legal, I highly recommend studs. I live in Montana, and work as a Ski Patroller at Big Sky Ski area, about 150 miles from home. I have to drive most every weekend to the ski hill, I swear by front wheel drive and studs. I do not use 4wd for highway trips. If I need to drive either of my 4x4's consistently to the ski hill, I would opt for a second set of tires with studs. If studs are illegal or not an option, get a good set of soft compound mud type tires, preferably fairly narrow, and have them siped. Wide tires in slushy snow condition at fast speeds (greater than 30mph) are a recipe for disaster. Wide tires work very well on very cold packed snow and ice, but once they start to warm up, to much water is formed for the tires to handle it. (Water is what makes ice or snow slippery, even at 40 below zero). Studs do affect the driving characteristics of the vehicle.

Good Luck.

Enjoying Montana's Big Sky (& rocks & rivers & mountians etc, You get the picture.)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode