well i am going for it - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 10-03-2006, 09:11 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

well i am going for it

got a call from my hr today. my new job is waiting for me on the east coast. ill be leaving seattle and going to charleston south carolina in my jeep. it has a 4.0 in it with a 5 speed. i am guessing about 700 dollars for gas. what do you guys think.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 10-03-2006, 09:24 PM
Old Hand

Re: well i am going for it

Not sure about distances, but at 17mpg and 3000 miles you would be looking at asbout $550 for gas only (3.00 a gallon) Currently Grand Island Nebraska is $2.17 a gal.
Dont Forget tp Budget for Toll Roads. I forgot about them when I went from Va to Ca. Some coworkers just went from Nebraska to Chicago and said the tolls were pretty stiff.
FYI I-80 through Nebraska is 75mph except going through Lincoln then its 65mph.
Good Luck
post #3 of (permalink) Old 10-04-2006, 07:25 AM

I think it's going to be a geat trip. Will you have time to enjoy it? If so, avoid the toll roads and Interstates as much as you can. The neat stuff is along the two-lanes.

And when you get to the right coast, watch out for the crazies - there are a lot of them out there! [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 10-04-2006, 08:08 AM
Way Outta Control

Good on you! Can I have your old job? [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

It's going to be a long trip. Enjoy it, and give yourself a lot of time to make it where you need to be. Half the fun of this trip can be stopping and seeing the sights along the way. When I moved the family back to Wisconsin from Washington State, we drove 8 hours a day and then stopped. We then had a few hours to explore the area we stopped in, and that was a lot of fun. That still left plenty of time for rest.

Do you have Triple A? If not, I'd strongly recommend getting it for a year. I broke down once in South Dakota. Fortunately it was only 1/2 mile out of Wall. Had I been another 200 miles down the road it would have been very bad.

Do you have any support network along the way of family/friends who could help if there is a problem? If not, start developing one. This can be a lifesaver for you. There's nothing worse than an emergency in a strange place with no where to turn/run to for safety.

If you're carrying any type of firearms... beware of the State laws you'll be traveling through. A traffic stop could get nasty, real quick and you may never reach SC.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 10-04-2006, 02:38 PM

Congrats. Not sure about the gas $, but I lived in Charleston for 6 years and loved it. Not much rock crawlin' going on, but it's a great town. There are a few clubs, and a decent shop "Lowcountry 4x4" on Hwy 17.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 10-04-2006, 02:59 PM
Keyboard Implanted

1. Think of some things you might want to see along way.
2. Pick a route
3. post the route up here and get some contacts along that route for emergencies and to say hey.
4. AAA is probably a good call like Larry mentioned.

If you need a good road atlas, Here's the company I work for:
http://www.mapsupply.com/
I didn't work on the US Road Atlas so you're safe with it [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
post #7 of (permalink) Old 10-05-2006, 09:08 AM
Veteran

Congrats on the new job. If you have trouble near South Bend, Indiana, look me up. I'll help, if I can!
post #8 of (permalink) Old 10-05-2006, 09:49 AM
Keyboard Implanted

good luck!

if you need a hand in central IL, i'll give a hand in any way i can

shoot PM if you are coming through and need contact info
post #9 of (permalink) Old 10-05-2006, 10:40 AM
Addict

As a veteran of a few cross counrty MLB stadium trips, I would highly suggest the Hampton Inn hotel. Just keep their 800 number handy and ask them to make you reservations at the estimated location you'll be at that night.

The Hamptons were always new and pretty cheap. Some of the other national chains used old hotels and the like. Hampton was 100% consistantly decent.

One of the greatest free sites I ever saw was the movie location for the movie 'Field of Dreams' in Dryersville Iowa. It's more beautiful in person than in the movie. Although, with the corn harvest, problalbly not as awesome as it was in July.
post #10 of (permalink) Old 10-06-2006, 04:15 PM
Aprentice

Congrat's on the new position - but why would you want to move out of the Seattle area??????? (Speaking from a Jeeper that lives in Detroit) It's awesome out there!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode