4.0 Into 95 2.5 Wrangler Questions - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 10-03-2006, 07:32 PM
KYSCJ7

4.0 Into 95 2.5 Wrangler Questions

I have a 95 wrangler with a 2.5L and 5 speed. I've been thinking about swaping in a 4.0L. I Have a donor vehical but its a 87 comanchie 2wd with an auto. Is there anything I can use from this? And what else will I need to do the swap? IE; drive shaft(s),tranny,mounts,T-case,skid plate,harness,ECU/PCM? Any Info and opinion on On this Swap Would Be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Kyle
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 10-04-2006, 08:42 PM
KYSCJ7

Re: 4.0 Into 95 2.5 Wrangler Questions

Anyone???
post #3 of (permalink) Old 10-04-2006, 09:13 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

The biggest problem is putting an older engine in a newer vehicle....not sure about OH, but in CA and many other states, you can't go backwards, just forwards.

I would look for a newer fuel injected V6 or V8....about the same amount of effort as the 4.0.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 10-04-2006, 09:15 PM

My opinion? I'd rather have a '95 2.5L than a '87 4.0L.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 10-05-2006, 10:51 AM
Addict

Kyle- for what it worth, putting in 4.0 isn't worth the effort. If you really, really, really want a 4.0 in a 95 YJ, I would suggest looking for one with it already in it.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 10-06-2006, 05:20 PM
KYSCJ7

UPDATE.

I've got a line on a 93 wrangler 5speed 4.0 wcrecked. The drivetrain is guarenteed good condition I can get the whole jeep for 450. Is That worth it? And what all needs changed.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 10-06-2006, 10:01 PM
Enthusiast

Do you plan to rebuild the donor motor? If not and you canít do a compression check, check the air cleaner (if itís still there.) If there is any oil in the box or on the filter you have ring blow by. You may still get some more miles out of the motor but the oil mess will only get worse until you will have to give up and rebuild.

Kriss
post #8 of (permalink) Old 10-07-2006, 02:05 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

$450 sounds like a great price....assuming the drivetrain is intact....accidents have a tendancy to crack cases....

Just remember....the only savings in effort and money by going with the 4.0 will be the transfer case adapter.....otherwise, 4.0, V6, V8...all the same work......and it's a lot of work....not for the average weekend 'doing it for the first time' mechanic. My SBC swap took 2 years.....(ok, I did a frame up restore as well).......
post #9 of (permalink) Old 10-08-2006, 08:14 PM
KYSCJ7

Well since I don't think the 2.5L is going to cut it with big tires and lift, and I dont want a gas hog I think the 4.0 is my best bet. I figure I'll have a day or to into pulling the 2 motors and a day or two into getting parts and another day or to into the swap. So sometime in the next 2 weeks I'll have the swap done. I'll keep you guys posted and post pics. And if anyone has any more info on the swap please post it.

Kyle
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode