Off Roading Forums banner

New Warn Winch out

758 views 13 replies 11 participants last post by  Pete88YJ 
#1 ·
#2 ·
It's a little pricey to be able to air up. I'm wondering the market it's aimed at? I'm not a fan of multiple use modifications like this winch. Usually the engineers try to be all things to all customers and end up skimping to keep costs down. Then quality suffers and the company reputation tanks. By combining usage it also combines multiple points of failure. It also leaves the owner high and dry with a broken unit that can neither work as a compressor or a winch.

Bottom line, I wouldn't buy one. I hope I'm proved wrong.

#4 ·
Not worth it, too tall, looks even larger than an 8274 (blocks radiator air), all sitting out there to break if you hit a tree or rock, now you'll wear your motor brushes out faster using it for a compressor also, more switches, failure points....

Not a good idea, IMHO. Dedicated products for each purpose will always perform better than a fits-all product.

My $0.02
Pete

#5 ·
I don't buy the arguement about the 8274 blocking air.... when? during highway travel? I certianly hope no one is overheating on the highway. The only time my jeep gets hot at al is on the trail with temps well over 100 and I have the AC wide open... and then I don't think a winch a foot in front of the radiator is going to affect airflow.
all that said, It looks like a good winch and crappy air compressor unless the motor drives a york type compressor.

#6 ·
One of the things I keep looking at is the 1/2 gallon tank. not very usefull it seems to me. My idea of having OBA is having a tank large enough to do more than air up tires. is 12cfm and a 1/2 gallon tank enough to seat a bead? don't know, I'm asking.

#10 ·
Actually that's a pretty common way to rate compressors, and not really a bad way of doing it since there are reasons for wanting compressed air at different pressures.

0 PSI Gauge is actually 1 atmosphere, or 15 PSI absolute. If you're filling tires to 15 psi, that's two atmospheres absolute, so the flow will be half of what it is unrestricted. Tires to 30 PSI is 3 atmospheres, so the flow will be one third. If you want to run air tools at 90 PSI or 8 atmospheres absolute, figure on 1/8 of the volume.

The hitch in that is that compressors lose efficiency as the output pressure rises. That's when it becomes important to know how many stages a compressor has. A two-stage compressor is pretty efficient at 150 to 175 PSI. A single-stage compressor might eventually get there, but only be pumping a fraction of it's theoretical putput.

Actually Warn deserves kudos for showing that the rating is at 0 PSI output. They wouldn't really have to, but probably do because they expect their potential buyers to not be familiar with how compressors are customarily rated.

#11 ·
A winch at typical just above bumper level will see a lot of water on some jeeps. You're going into a hole and it seems to splash all over my front grill and hood even though its not that deep. Hopefully none of that water gets in the filter or intake of the compressor and shows up later when you need to run it.

G
#12 ·
I think it's intended for the Urban Road Warrior...AKA, Hummers and the like....nice blingy item he can show off...maybe air up his buddies tire in the parking lot of the bar...but will most likely not see any use except for the first and only time he takes his H2 out and tries to do something it's not able to...like climb a small hill....

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.