Is The New JK On A Slippery Slope? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 10-01-2006, 11:33 PM Thread Starter
Enthusiast

Is The New JK On A Slippery Slope?

Hi All-

I broke down the other day and went to the local Jeep dealer to have a first hand look at the new JK. They only had a 4 door X model and it was inside the showroom. No test drive. It was nice but, the front fenders are really cheesy. I hope the aftermarket comes up with something better.

Consider the original size and length of the MB. The next big change was in 1972 when 3Ē was added to the length to accommodate the I6 and V8. The space for the motors was good. Next came the CJ7, a little longer, but better in some ways. Of course the CJ6 & Scrambler were in there too. Now the JK is even longer and wider. Again there are some advantages; more stable for example.

Slippery Slope? Thatís my biggest concern for the Wrangler. Everything keeps getting bigger and bigger. Look at the old Ford Bronco. It started out small like the CJ, and then went to the ďOJĒ style; the top still came off but trying turning it around on a tight trail. Eventually the Bronco morphed in the Expedition, a nice SUV but no trail rig.

Any thoughts?

Kriss
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 10-02-2006, 07:00 AM
I Might Just Know What I'm Talking About

Re: Is The New JK On A Slippery Slope?

I got to see my first JK in person last week.

It was a 4 door, so I'm hoping the 2 door makes me feel different, but my first thought was: It's too big. Period.

A full-size Chevy Blazer is the size of this thing. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img]

I understand market segements, and all that crap, but it's just too damn big. Why does everything have to get bigger?

All I can hope is that it opens the door for something SMALL from Jeep - a totally trail capable, minimalist, hard-core, rig. No bling, No AC, maybe a factory motor-mounted air system, no 15 air bags, no sub woofers, no 12 speaker 10 CD audio system, no plastic interior, etc.

Pete
post #3 of (permalink) Old 10-02-2006, 08:49 AM

[ QUOTE ]
All I can hope is that it opens the door for something SMALL from Jeep - a totally trail capable, minimalist, hard-core, rig. No bling, No AC, maybe a factory motor-mounted air system, no 15 air bags, no sub woofers, no 12 speaker 10 CD audio system, no plastic interior, etc.

[/ QUOTE ]

Dream on! you MIGHT see something small, forget the rest.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 10-02-2006, 09:16 AM
Way Outta Control

The marketplace drives design, not us off-road yokels. As much as we'd like to see a small trail worthy Jeep, I doubt it will ever happen again. The first Jeep design was driven by the marketplace need. The design came out of WWII. It's going to take something like that to again get a small, light design into production in enough numbers for the surplus market. Take a look a the IBEX in the UK and see what's happened to it.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 10-02-2006, 05:59 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Just wait for the JK to get old, buy them used and hack em for the woods, and rocks or whatever your in to. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
post #6 of (permalink) Old 10-02-2006, 11:30 PM Thread Starter
Enthusiast

I agree with Leve. As the old saying goes- "time waits for no-one" -and time has moved on. As a life long Jeep-Freak, I was concerned when Chrysler took over Jeep from AMC even though it was AMC that gave the YJ square headlights. I was ecstatic when Chrysler made them round again, but then Daimler bought Chrysler. Again I was concerned.

It seems my fears are coming true as I knew they would. Donít get me wrong, itís not that the JK isnít well done, it is. In fact I will probably buy one sooner than later. It is just another step in the inevitable evolution of a consumer product, driven by technology, and as Leve said, marketing.

I guess I am just a purist. I have owned a 47 2A, 72 CJ5, 78 CJ5 (still have), 80 CJ5, 4 YJs, and 2 TJs (still own a 2000 Sahara). I know, I need a 12 step program, but the 47 2A was the most fun of all of them.

I guess weíll just have to keep rebuilding the Iron.

Thanks!

Kriss
post #7 of (permalink) Old 10-03-2006, 08:14 AM
Veteran

It's a good thing there are all kinds of repro parts out there for CJs. We can just keep rebuilding them, over and over. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
post #8 of (permalink) Old 10-03-2006, 12:08 PM

I thought the pressure was on to reduce fuel consumption? This doesn't seem to fit what I'd have thought the trend would be. I'd like to see a mini sized 4 door jeep. Doesn't jeep already have something for that segment with the full sized machines?
post #9 of (permalink) Old 10-03-2006, 01:02 PM

The pressure is on now for better economy, although the pressure is probably easing some since gas is under $2.00 a gallon in places. But that Jeep has no doubt been in the works for three or four years, during which the push was for bigger and more powerful vehicles.

During the first "gas crisis" in the '70s the manufacturers were caught building 5,000 pound machines with 450 cubic inch V8s that nobody wanted. In the years it took to get Pintos, Vegas and Darts on the market the crisis passed and they had a tough time selling those lumps.

I would really like to see them bring back an updated CJ2A. In fact, I would really like them to bring back the CJ2A NOT updated. Unfortunately the govenrment and insurance companies won't let them bring back the original, and the market for an updated one won't justify the cost of development.

What made it such a great vehicle is it's light weight and simplicity. But that means no heater, no radio, flimsy frame, rudimentary top at best, no boosted steering or brakes, and just enough power to cruise at the speed limit in town.

If you want a new vehicle like that, you're going to have to build it yourself.
post #10 of (permalink) Old 10-03-2006, 01:15 PM
Way Outta Control

[ QUOTE ]
..In fact, I would really like them to bring back the CJ2A NOT updated...If you want a new vehicle like that, you're going to have to build it yourself.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm waiting for you to do it out of stainless steel! That would be darned cool!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode