Disc Brake swap - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 10-01-2006, 10:43 AM Thread Starter
Journeyman

Disc Brake swap

I'm just about done gathering parts for my 77 cj5 brake swap. Caver Daves trail forge article was exteremly helpfull. I was wondering about the rear brakes. Would the 6 bolt calipers work on the rear? I found 2 77 donors.One was an quadra trac the other had the lockouts on it. Both are 6 bolt patterns.Does any one have the discs on the rear of their jeep? Thanks guys
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 10-01-2006, 02:36 PM

Re: Disc Brake swap

I have s10 front calipers on the rear of my buggy with brackets from AA manufacturing. I'm running a 9" rear so my rear axle is a little different but i have rotors from an 80's f150. I'm running a stock s10 master/ booster/ prortioning valve, my pedal is pretty decent and my buggy stops great.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 10-01-2006, 02:41 PM
Old Hand

I put Disks on the back of my '80 CJ7, with AMC 20 in the rear. I bought a kit that included the brackets, rotors, and the hardware. I had to buy the Calipers (Monty Carlo) break lines and associated hardware. The kit was $289 adn the callipers were 20 each, shoes 20 for the set and about 50 for the hoses and attaching bolts and washers (breakline to calliper), adn finally break fluid.
This is what I found, the callipers were front breaks so I lost the e-brake. At 20 each I figured that I didnt need it, but I have missed it, so line locks are in the works. I could have used Caddalac callipers but they were around $150 each, not to mention the cost of rebuilding and any modifications for the e-break cable. Too much $$$ for a e-brake.
But I do love my disk breaks and will convert any jeep that I ever buy to 4wheel disk. Have fun and good luck
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 10-01-2006, 04:39 PM Thread Starter
Journeyman

Is it possible for one of the stock front sets I got to go on the rear? The rear is the stock amc 20. Thanks
post #5 of (permalink) Old 10-01-2006, 04:50 PM
Mud in my Veins

I've seen the 6bolt brackets used on a couple of rear D44s (guessing you have a M20?). The guy that did it cut a section out of the brackets so they could be slipped *over* the axle tubes inboard of the tube flanges and drilled to fit the flanges bolt pattern... I guess you could use them. IMO, welding tabs to the axle tub to use the 2bolt brackets is simple and will allow it to be moved in/out to match what ever rotor you use. I looked at the F150 (4x2?) rotors & IIRC, the hat is large enough to fit over both D44/M20 axles flanges (where the wheel studs are), but could be wrong...

As Andy mentioned, GM brackets are easy to find used on the cheap. They're also stamped steel (instead of the Dana/Bendix cast steel arms) and may be cheaper to source calipers for...
post #6 of (permalink) Old 10-02-2006, 08:54 PM
BMB
Veteran

This may help

http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=174851

BMB
post #7 of (permalink) Old 10-04-2006, 05:18 AM Thread Starter
Journeyman

Great reply BMB. There are more donors of this type locally , seem all the gm &ford stuff gets picked pretty Quick
post #8 of (permalink) Old 10-04-2006, 07:22 AM
Mud in my Veins

Oops! Forgot about that route...

Rock City has the caliper brackets available if you prefer to skip that step...
post #9 of (permalink) Old 10-04-2006, 03:38 PM
I Might Just Know What I'm Talking About

I didn't click the link til just now. I have this set up... or basically the same thing. I used rear calipers off of an 88' Isuzu Trooper and front rotor off of a 1992 Suzuki sidekick. I made my own bolt on caliper brackets similar to that thread. If you go this route a couple of things to watch for. When you get the calipers off of the donor, you will also need the metric flare end from the hard line to the short rubber line and also the very strange thread count fine thread caliper mounting bolts. You can slide the metric flare fitting over a new 3/16 line and re-flare. I used to a length of small size vacuum line taped to the edge of the rotors to allow for some spacing when making the brackets. The wheel stud holes in the rotors I used had to be drilled out to 9/16. System works great!

Here's a pic of the finished axle out of the Jeep.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1542219-103-0334_IMG.JPG (93.1 KB, 12 views)
post #10 of (permalink) Old 10-04-2006, 07:21 PM
I Might Just Know What I'm Talking About

THIS THREAD is where I got the idea and info on parts for the swap. Has some additional pics. Zac (BurnedBronco) hasn't posted here in a while, but maybe he is still around. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode