correct temp for a jeep? Please Help - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 09-29-2006, 10:49 AM Thread Starter
Old Hand

correct temp for a jeep? Please Help

1980 CJ7 with stock I4 2.5L. Here is my prob. put a new thermustat, hoses, heater box, more hoses, and a new gauge, radiator, waterpump and coolent...and yes if found more new hoses, in last year. The jeep ran a consistant 180deg untill summer then it ran 190deg. Recently it would peek at 200deg and drop to 190deg. sometimes it would stay at 0deg for along time jump to 200 adn fall to 190deg. Untill yesterday, it peeked at 200deg and dropped to 170deg. So this morrning I replaced the thermostat (they parts store I bought the first one from has sold me several defective parts...no logner my parts store.) New thermostat in and topped off the coolent, left the cap off and let the jeep idle to temp with the heater on full. Jeep got up to 200deg and dropped to 190deg. Replaced the cap ran at about 2000rpm for few (min no leek) and the jeep stayed stayed between 190 and 200deg. Rechecked fluid still full.
So What-the-hay?!? Chiltian says the 4cyl COULD run up to 205deg. My experence with my jeep is 180deg. What is a "normal" operating temp for my jeep.
With the 2000rpm I was in the garage with the hood up. I havnt driven it yet. Maybe the air flow will cool it down?
Please Help!!!! [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 09-29-2006, 12:18 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: correct temp for a jeep? Please Help

We have talked about this a lot....

First, buy your parts from now on from NAPA...they are a couple bucks more but you only have to replace it once...

Next...you want to be running a 195 deg t-stat.....a very common misconception is that putting in a colder t-stat will solve and over heating problem. If it overheats with the 195, it's going to overheat with the 180. In addition, you will get better MPG runing at 195.

What is the right temp? Well, water boils at 212 (assuming sea level). With a 16PSI system, you water boil temp is now around 254 deg. In reality, if you are staying at or below 210 for all conditions...your doing just fine.

Now, if you start geting up to 230 or more, time to start seeing what could be wrong.

So...go have a beer and relax.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 09-29-2006, 12:25 PM
Way Outta Control

Have you tested the fan clutch?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 09-29-2006, 12:44 PM Thread Starter
Old Hand

Yep went to napa this time!
No cluch on fan.
Thanks for the imput. Ill put 230deg as bad on my gauge and go have a beer!!! thats just what I needed to hear. LOL
post #5 of (permalink) Old 09-29-2006, 02:47 PM

If you use antifreeze, like most of us, even without the pressure cap the boiling point of your coolant should be at least 230*. With a 50/50 soloution and a 15lb cap (with prestone) it's 265*.

@ 70/30, 276*.

even higher with a 16lb cap.

You'll find your heater will work much better running 195-210 also. Winter soon come!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode