3 spd transmission opinions wanted - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 09-29-2006, 10:47 AM Thread Starter
Enthusiast

3 spd transmission opinions wanted

I picked up a transmission and transfer case at no cost and now I'm trying to decide what to do with it. From what a can figure out the trans is a T150, the xfer case I'm not sure of but it has a single shift lever like is used in newer jeeps. Both my 63 and my 49 have the dual stick xfer. Should I keep it as a possible replacement or drop it off at the local salvage yard? Thanks.
BP
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 09-29-2006, 11:53 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: 3 spd transmission opinions wanted

Go to Navak...they have pics of both trannys and xfer cases...you should be able to figure out what you have from that.

I would save them for a trade or to sell if you can't use them.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 09-29-2006, 01:35 PM

The single-stick transfer case is probably a Dana 20 or a Dana 300. Both have a centered rear output shaft. Your '63 probably uses a Dana 18 which has a passenger-side rear output, and goes with an offset differential in the back axel. I'm pretty sure your '49 will have a similar arrangement. If that's the case you can't use the newer transfer case without doing a rear axel swap too.

Frankly I would rather have the Dana 18. It shifts much more smoothly and doesn't get hung up in 4WD the way the D20 does. Don't know whether the D300 has the same problem.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 09-29-2006, 01:36 PM

Does it have the "texas" bolt pattern? If it's a t150 it should have that bolt pattern. If it's a centered rear output shaft it's a dana 20, if it's an offset rear output shaft it's a dana 18. The dana 20 and 18 are the only 2 t-cases i can think of with a texas bolt pattern.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 09-29-2006, 03:35 PM Thread Starter
Enthusiast

Thanks for the replies. It seems that I had read somewhere that the 150 was a pretty good trans, but not any better than what I have. For some reason people around here would only buy or trade if I would drive 50+ miles and deliver and probably help install it too. Still I've got room under the shop benches and a few connections to 'old stuff buffs'.
BP
post #6 of (permalink) Old 09-29-2006, 09:55 PM
Enthusiast

If you have a Spicer 18 x-case in your cj now then the Dana 20 or 300 will not line up with the pumpkin in your rear end. It can be done but I wouldn't do it.

Maybe you should think about a T18 swap in lieu of the T150. You get a granny low which always helps.

Kriss
post #7 of (permalink) Old 09-30-2006, 07:20 PM

the t-150 is a pretty stout transmission for a cj5, I know some guys who run them in there boggers, behind very heathly amc 360s and the t150 does fine. It's also nice for mud because 1st and reverse are directly across from each other so it makes it easier to slam back and forth
post #8 of (permalink) Old 09-30-2006, 10:04 PM
Enthusiast

The T150 is a pretty tough tranny, but I ran one with a D20 behind and 4.56s in the diffs with 33s for some time. I missed not having a ganny gear to go to. I live in mud and sand country but sometimes I just want a lower crawl ratio to amble down a rough trail. Depends on what you want to do with your jeep.

Kriss
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode