K & N - thankfully they work. - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 09-28-2006, 07:31 PM Thread Starter
Way Outta Control

K & N - thankfully they work.

I knew it was in need of cleaning, but I didn't have the time before the last run. I sprayed a little more oil on it - right on the dirt on the outside - figuring the wet dirt just helped catch more dirt.

We ended up in a super dusty area - clouds and clouds of dust - the fine stuff that gets into everything!

Today I was getting ready for this weekend - the K&N filter was so clogged I could no longer see the elements ripples on the outside! (Should have taken a picture!) The outside looked almost smooth! I've never seen one that bad.

I sprayed it down with brake cleaner, then a water hose before even trying to take it off. Once it was off I did the test - I pushed and pulled a white paper towel up and down the snout several times - all the way. It came out clean! I expected a little dust, but it was like new. (No, I don't have a MAF sensor on the Rubi.)

I'm impressed!

He He - I know I'll get asked -- No, I have no association with K&N.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 09-29-2006, 10:17 AM
Keyboard Implanted

Re: K & N - thankfully they work.

I pulled my K&N out the other day to check it... I was QUITE dissapointed in what I saw. I'll have to get a picture and post it.

The issue I have is you can see pin holes all thru it. Namely at the Crest of each ridge makes since seeing as that's the areas that are perpindicular when looking at it. How in the world can that be filtering??? This filter is about 2-3 years old. I've rinsed it per instructions, and used the red fluid. I'm not impressed at all. anyone else notice this?
post #3 of (permalink) Old 09-29-2006, 11:02 AM
Old Hand

I havnt had a problem with any of mine. Ive had 3 in 3 diffrnet autos. Dont they have a million mile warranty? If not happy have you tried to call them up? Mayby there has a been a design change. Let us know what you find out.
Good Luck
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 09-29-2006, 11:23 AM Thread Starter
Way Outta Control

Pinholes certainly aren't good!

I have no idea how large a pinhole hole is acceptable, but there has to be some way the air gets through.

I haven't run them that long. I rotate between 2 of them, and clean them when they look yukky! Sometimes that's only a few weeks, even only a thousand miles or so.

I'm wondering if a new one looks the same way, or over time the fabric stretched and separated - like an old pair of jeans? I haven't seen mine like that. Light gets through like a paper filter, but not pinholes.

The important thing is - how was the ducting, carb or TB - dirty, dusty, or clean?

I'm not following the instructions totally either.
I probably over-oil it.
Dirt collects on the element, if that dirt is oily it will help catch more dirt. So every once in a while I shoot a little more oil on the dirt on the outside.
Eventually it builds up so much it's bound to be getting restrictive, so I clean or swap it out.

I would think the time when it's doing the least amount of cleaning is when it's totally clean.

I'd love to find a real centrifugal filter (not one of the phoney ones around) to use in combination with the K&N. Anybody know of one?
post #5 of (permalink) Old 09-29-2006, 11:48 AM
Keyboard Implanted

Haven't checked into the warranty on it yet. Just noticed it the other day.

Ya, I realize there's at least microscopic holes for air to get thru, but these are much bigger than I'd figure...

Rich, you're description of the fibers pulling apart like an old pair of jeans is a good description of what I'm talking about. I'll see If I can get a picture today and post it.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 09-29-2006, 12:05 PM
Keyboard Implanted

ok, ran out real quick and took a picture. Areas circled in Green show examples of what I'm talking about

the yellow circle is what I'd expect it to look like thru and thru.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 09-29-2006, 12:33 PM Thread Starter
Way Outta Control

Not good!

Wondering if you lucked out and the oily dirt filled the holes enough for protection anyway.

Remember the old horsehair oil bath filters? They did a great job, just were really messy. The holes between the horsehair fibers was bigger, but the air had to twist and turn around the strands of oily hair and the dirt got stuck. The dirtier it got, the better it cleaned.

How'd the insides look - the snout, carb etc.?
post #8 of (permalink) Old 09-29-2006, 12:49 PM
Keyboard Implanted

besides my slight tickle of blow by in the Air box... [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

Everything looked clean.
post #9 of (permalink) Old 09-29-2006, 12:49 PM
Way Outta Control

What's K&N got to say? I'd be on the phone asking of they'd like to see that filter. My guess is the lab guys would go ga-ga over it. I was just reading that they've never had a MAF failure do to the oil from their filters. Others may want to read a K&N Statement at: http://www.knfilters.com/MAF/massair.htm

If the filter media is pin holing it's a concern and K&N deserves to see it. Hey, maybe they'll issue a statement.
post #10 of (permalink) Old 09-29-2006, 01:22 PM
Keyboard Implanted

Just got off the phone with them. They were quick to say three things. First Only clean it every 50K or as needed (up to 1/8" of dirt on filter), Second: Pin holing is from cleaning too often. Lastly, What's your address, I'll have a new one to your door on Monday.

Nicest Customer service lady/person you could ask for. No question about well, you treated it wrong, it's your fault. I said I cleaned it maybe every 6 months. In 2-3 years I've had it, I've but about 35K miles thru it. She noted that I cleaned it too much and that's why, but they give a lifetime warranty so the'll send another. I thought that was pretty good! I didn't follow their instructions, yet they took care of me.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode