add-a-leaf/body lift - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 09-28-2006, 05:09 PM Thread Starter

add-a-leaf/body lift

hey guys, seeing as how $$ is tight right now i was thinking of helping out my old stock springs by putting a add-a feaf just so they dont really saga and get about an inch of lift. i do have a 1" daystar bl that i havent put on yet. any opinions on the add-a-leaf?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 09-28-2006, 08:00 PM
I Might Just Know What I'm Talking About

Re: add-a-leaf/body lift

Whats the add a leaaf cost about $100-200? You can get a complete rough country lift on ebay for about $375-$425. I say go with the body lift for now and keep saving for a full lift later on.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 09-29-2006, 09:15 AM Thread Starter

well actually, a pair of add-a -leaf for the front run like $51 and rear for $54 from 4wheelparts. so it's pretty cheap
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 09-29-2006, 09:21 AM

Realize that you are going to have stiffer springs. That won't bother you on smooth road, but the ride will become even choppier over any ruts and possibly downright harsh when you go over an obstacle. I have a cheap Rancho lift spring set and they are much stiffer than stock. I suspect you will have a similar experience. Stiff springs don't flex as easily and that may mean less traction when one wheel is up on an obstacle.

The 1" body lift isn't a bad idea at all.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 09-29-2006, 09:41 AM Thread Starter

i thought about that ...now that you bring it up again, you have a good point. thanks for the input
post #6 of (permalink) Old 09-29-2006, 10:55 AM
Old Hand

I know its hard cuz I am doing the same thing now. but save up and get a lift kit. I think that new springs would be a better investment. As for cost go to superlift.com and then to there online store. They have a ebay store that sells their scrach-n-dent parts including shocks for between $6-$10 each.
Good Luck
post #7 of (permalink) Old 09-29-2006, 11:40 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Unless you spend some big bucks for quality springs....expect your kidneys to complain....They don't call them Rough Country for nothing.....

A good set is going to cost you around $800+. And if your only doing it for 1-2", not worth the money. You might as well go 4" or more. But if you need to save money and still want a good ride, I would go SOA using stock springs. And the best part about that lift, except for the CV driveshaft, it's real cheap....if your springs are shot, many times you can get a set of stock Wrangler springs for free.....just find someone who has done a lift.

BTW...I would avoid a body lift...they look dorky and cause more problems than they solve.
post #8 of (permalink) Old 09-29-2006, 01:22 PM

1 Thing That isn't brought up here much is "making" your own spring pack. Pickup a couple sets of used springs for free, try and get a pair instead of just 1 pack. Talk to local shops that have replaced packs because they had 1 broken leaf. It takes some time and some trial and error. My front packs in my buggy are 4 leaf yj packs with 2 leafs added from an early 80's chevy 1/2 ton rear pack. They sit perfectly flat spring over and would probably give an inch or 2 of lift spring under and ride great. Building spring packs is a good way to "tune" your suspension and get an inch or 2 or lift, you usually can't get a ton of lift out of home built packs but an inch or 2 is doable.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode