O/T? Craftsman.............. - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 09-25-2006, 09:05 PM Thread Starter

O/T? Craftsman..............

here's a copy of the letter i sent to sears/kmart over their 'new' craftsman replacement policy.

man, im steamed.

atleast i'll be getting better quality tools from now on.

The newest name in disposable tools.

Tonight, I have made the decision to stop buying anything Craftsman, and quite possibly anything sold by Sears, and their parent company Kmart.

Today, my torque wrench, model number 9 44543, Serial number 940515060 broke the locking ring. Since it is branded Craftsman, I took it to my local Sears store.

When I presented the broken torque wrench, I was informed that it was only covered by a 1 year warranty. Well, that was news to me. When I purchased it, over 8 years ago, it was warranted for LIFE. Which is one of the single biggest reasons I bought it.

I was asked if i had the receipt. Receipt?....the tool is over 8 years old....I dont even keep tax records for that long, how am I supposed to produce a receipt for something that old? Wait...watch me pull a receipt out of....well, you know what comes next.

If my 'WARRANTED FOR LIFE' tool is only now covered by a 1 year warranty, I will definately be taking my tool buying dollars elsewhere, like maybe Lowes for the Kobalt brand or start buying them off the Snap-on/Matco/Mac trucks where I know for sure, without a doubt a warranty for life means a warranty for life.

Should what Craftsman tools I have now fail, I will return them for replacements. In the future when I need to purchase new tools, I will be going elsewhere.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 09-25-2006, 10:23 PM
Enthusiast

Re: O/T? Craftsman..............

That is a shame about Craftsman. I'm really sorry to hear that they treated you that way. I couldn't begin to guess how much I have invested in that brand.

However, you may want to stay away from Lowes and the Kobalt brand also. I recently purchased a 60 gallon upright compressor from the local Lowes. It took 4 men and a forklift to get it into my Jeep. After bolting it to the floor of my shop and hardwiring it into the box I discovered that the 3/8 close nipple attaching the pressure switch leaked.

After two months of runaround trying to get it repaired, the manager of the Lowes told me that it looked like a simple fix, and that I should fix it myself. $700 plus dollars and I should fix it myself. So long story short, it appears that Lowes doesn't like to honor their warranties either. So I will not spend another dime at Lowes.

Sorry about the length of the post. Just needed to vent a bit.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 09-25-2006, 10:35 PM
Way Outta Control

I started to have problems getting Craftsman replacement's over 10 years ago. I went to WalMart and bought a set of Stanley sockets/wrenches. They've been good tools. For the money, I can throw 'em away.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 09-25-2006, 11:00 PM
Old Hand

The quality of craftsman is not what it used to be. More than once i've tried to return a split socket, only to be told to bring back the entire set. If you make enough stink they generally give you anther socket, just to get rid of you.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 09-25-2006, 11:30 PM Thread Starter

the kobalt hand tools (wrenches, ratchets and sockets) are made by a snap-on supplier. i have no worries about those. its the other stuff like the compressor that may not be built in a plant with a stellar record.

any and all matco tools i have bought have been bulletproof, so there is no sense in getting away from them.

i do agree that my older craftsman stuff is alot better than my newer stuff.

i know home depot's husky brand is made by stanley, who is the parent company of mac. also in that family are proto

matco and k&d are in the danaher family.

s&k is another good brand. i have one wrench (12mm) from them and it's 15 years old and shiny as new.

unfortunately, 80% of my home and work tools are crapsman.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 09-26-2006, 12:08 AM
Keyboard Implanted

they don't have a 1 year warranty on hand tools.. it's only on torque wrenches...

check out this link:
web page
post #7 of (permalink) Old 09-26-2006, 06:13 AM
Keyboard Implanted

I've never had any issues with returning any tools to Sears. But it does sound like I need to go down and break my Torque wrench before Christmas, the one year mark....

Hell, My Unlce was walking around in the yard and found a crusty rusty pair of Vice Grips (or was it and Adjustable wrench, don't recall) but he scrapped enough crap off to read Craftsman on it. He thought he'd put Craftsman warranty to the test. He took it in, the guy behind the counter looked at him, looked at the tool, looked back at my uncle and said, Go get a new one.
post #8 of (permalink) Old 09-26-2006, 08:13 AM
Veteran

I have found many, many tools on the side of the road while riding my bicycle. Most of my finds are perfectly useable as is. However, one time I happened to find a broken Craftsman 1/2" wratchet. It looked older than me (at least I was in better shape than the tool!). I took it to Sears and they gave me a new one. The sales guy didn't even hesitate. Of course, this happened about 8 years ago so things may have changed at Sears since then. If they have, that's a shame.
post #9 of (permalink) Old 09-26-2006, 09:12 AM

My box has been filling up with snapon, matco, and i'm looking at buying a bunch of sk tools pretty soon. Some craftsman stuff is nice but more and more is junk, my original set is 6 years old and you can tell the differance in wrench quality. Around here we have a little sears store and it takes a week to get a tool shipped to you vs. giving a snapon to one of my buddies that works at a shop and getting it right away.

Great deals can be hand on snap on on ebay, i never pay more then 1/2 of retail for something snap on.
post #10 of (permalink) Old 09-26-2006, 09:14 AM
Keyboard Implanted

that sucks....i didnt know they changed that......i thought they were lifetime...*shrug*

i've had great luck with tools from farm and fleet.....i think they're called "duracraft", but they arent the same as duracraft made prior to 2000......

they have a 100% lifetime warantee....and they are priced competitively

pretty much all my hand tools come from there....with the exception of a few from harbor frieght

i did screw up a ratchet and they just replaced it. hopefully other peopples experiences were as good
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode