4.3 v6 and 700r4 Anyone make skids for them? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 09-25-2006, 03:46 PM Thread Starter
Old Hand

4.3 v6 and 700r4 Anyone make skids for them?

At this point im just going to make one for them. The trans is very easy its flat. the 4.3 4x4 pan is not so easy the oil fill plug gives the pan a 3/4" bump.

I like fabing stuff so even if i find someone who sells them i may just make it anyway [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

But it would be nice to see how thay make it so any info would help.

Thnaks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 09-25-2006, 08:01 PM

Re: 4.3 v6 and 700r4 Anyone make skids for them?

I've started but havn't finished my belly pan/ skid plate on my buggy, all it is right now is a piece of 11 gauge from frame rail to frame rail. Iam planning on going forward almost to the front axle with the skid plate. How close is your belly to being flat? I love having a prefectly flat belly though i do have some bolts hanging down, adventually my trans mount bolts will have a skid. I suggest using something like 1/8" or 11 gauage and just putting in a lot of bends/ gussets/ angle iron or tubing running across it instead of building it out of 1/4", it's way too heavy.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 09-25-2006, 10:38 PM Thread Starter
Old Hand

I have a very nice Skid but there is not much i can do for about half the trans and all of the motor. I have hit the motor pan before. 1/8 is way to thin for me. I have 1/4 now for the main plate and I have bent it many times.
When the sun is up i will take a pic of what i have...

Thanks for the input.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 09-26-2006, 08:08 AM

I was going to extend off my belly pan to cover the trans/ motor and then tie it into the frame atleast once with something running down, maybe into my motor mounts. There's nothing wrong with a "wavy" skid plate, buld a frame out of 1" angle set on the plate so it looks like a tent, make a nice grid and you will have a skid plate that is strong and light. My 11 gauge welded (i need to finish the skid and bolt it on) to the frame has several tweeks, probably the biggest un supported area is 3'x18" and i has tweaked very little and i'm not graceful in the rocks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode