This is why I'm the only one I trust with my Jeep - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 09-24-2006, 11:21 AM Thread Starter

This is why I\'m the only one I trust with my Jeep

Initially, I was looking forward to my 8.8 swap project, but the incompetence of others has almost sucked all of the fun out of it. I had to drive hours to get my first rear end, only to find out that the housing was bent. After locating another one and prepping it, I had a very hard time finding a welder who would even return my call. I finally located a guy who said he’d do it, but I had to go back three times. He kept putting it off or forgetting to do it. At least he gave me a break on the price for my troubles. They gave me the wrong e-brake shoes so I had to exchange them. And finally yesterday, I put everything back together only to find that there was no way I could use the drive line that I was sold. If it’s this hard just getting the right parts, there’s no way I would ever let someone else touch a wrench to my Jeep. I will take some responsibility in not recognizing problems with parts when I pick them up. I will forever have my fine tooth comb available when I get parts. The one shinning exception has been M.O.R.E. off road. They specialized in parts for 8.8 swaps and their stuff is high quality. I forked out the extra money for their e-brake lines and they are excellent. Very high quality and the engineering is well thought out. The good news is that the project is 95% complete and a new drive line should have me rolling.

Peace.

-JL
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 09-24-2006, 01:30 PM

Re: This is why I\'m the only one I trust with my Jeep

I can relate as to trying to get the right parts and services (welding) done. Most of us do not have a full machine shop, or the knowledge to use one. I also do not have an Auto mechanical degree, so I must rely on the training of the sales people. I am running mostly old Willys Jeeps and Jeepster Commandos, all the good info is long gone. Most parts are hard to find and I normally have to try two or three times before I can get the parts I need. I cant see putting a $4,000 paint job on a $700 Jeep thats going to bounce off rocks for the rest of its life. So it'll get painted in the back yard with paint from Tractor Supply. The body may not be perfect, but its a Jeep. My 110V mig welder is better suited for yard art, I can tack weld things where I want them, then take it to a welder and like you, pester him till it gets done.
I really admire those who can spend $40,000 - $50,000 for a rock crawler. What I build will have tags & stickers (street legal) will tow a trailer not ride on one. And still be a respectable trail vehicle. All on a $500 per month budget. And sometimes not even that.
The best part, despite all the frustrations and disappointments. I still love my old jeeps!
post #3 of (permalink) Old 09-24-2006, 03:00 PM
Veteran

Re: This is why I\'m the only one I trust with my J

For what its worth, I feel your Pain. In the last 2 months I have been sold the fallowing lemons.

1.Novak adapter for NP435 to Dana 300: The instructions SUCKED. Had to find a FSM that covered the transmission to find the right end play specs. The mounting bolts provided with the kit would not work had to go to studs and nuts. Oil seal on the out put was installed out of square. First gear would not slide forward on the main shaft till the shaft was hand ground in the groves. Novak was helpful but it still took 3 weeks to install as Ever step I took I found a new problem.
2.AMC 20 HD: that the PO used a chisel to remove the wheel bearings from the axle shaft. Now the Bearings are spun and I need new Shafts which will cost more then I payed for the axle. But having Bought an ARB for it I am committed.
3.Install Kit for AMC 20: came with the wrong shims still waiting on correct ones.
4.Install Kit for Dana 44: Came with out half the parts it needed. This one worked out okay the parts were sent no problem.
5.Dana 44 Gears: First I tried used ones but they were no good. Then I bought a new set and was sent who knows what. The pinion was completely different. The ring gear looked the same but bolts would only tread in about 2 turns. Still getting this resolved.

At this point I want to make all the parts my self as every time I pay someone to provide them they are wrong.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 09-24-2006, 03:10 PM

Re: This is why I\'m the only one I trust with my Jeep

Welcome to the world of actually "building" a 4x4. Working through the issues like you have had seperate the onese that actually have a true passion for four wheeling and building rigs vs. those that just dabble with it.

I've had days when i make honestly 6 trips to the parts store, made a couple trips to the junk yard/ buddies houses, and had to re-do things a bunch of times. Some times things work out but usually i have some hurdles, do things a couple times, learn from them and then don't usually make them the next time. Building a 4x4 is a learning experiance. I've been at the building game 5 or 6 years now, i've come along way but i don't know everything by any means.

Learning to weld and fab things will save you tons of $$ in the long run. Find some wheeling buddies/ a club that works together and will help you out. I have no problem helping my wheeling buddies out helping them fab something or welding something up for them. If i didn't have my welder/ fab tools i wouldn't know what to do with my self. It's painful for me when a buddy says he spent X amount of $$ on a part that is easily fabbed for 1/4 the price.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode