How hard are Gibson Headers to install? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 09-24-2006, 12:51 AM Thread Starter
Aprentice

How hard are Gibson Headers to install?

Hi again,

My girlfriends Wrangler sport has a leak in the manifold. I talked to the guys at the part store and they suggested a Gibson Header, they said it just bolts on to the existing exhaust. Now how hard is this to do? Does anyone know of a webpage that has a step by step? Also do I need to have the engine machined down? Will I have a big problem with leaks or should i be ok? Im hopin that i can do it with a couple hours, a tork wrench and some blood and sweat. Lemme know...

Thanks a ton in advance, Brannon
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 09-24-2006, 07:00 AM

Re: How hard are Gibson Headers to install?

Toughest part usually is that exhaust system nuts and bolts are often rusted together. If you twist off a rusted bolt that holds the manifold to the head the job can turn into an all-day sucker. Or several days.

If they look crusty-rusty squirt them with a penetrating oil several times a day for several days before starting the job. I prefer Kroil, and PB Blaster gets good reviews here also. WD40 is not suitable. If the manifold is held on with studs and nuts that are really rusty, consider using a nut cracker on them first; don't even try to unscrew them.

The next problem is that aftermarket parts sometimes don't have all the brackets and fittings in the right place. The only way to evaluate that is to look at the parts carefully before you start and make sure that everythng is where it's supposed to be.

My opinion is that a header isn't a good thing on a Jeep. You won't get any significant useable power increase from it and it won't hold up as well as the factory manifold. You're better off to get the original repaired or get a used one from a junkyard.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 09-24-2006, 11:27 AM

I went with a Banks header and the install wasn't too bad. There is a bit of labor involved with getting to the manifold so you can do the install. Be sure to pay attention to torque specifications. My neighbor gave me some wrong information and I over torqued the first time out which eventually damaged the gasket causing an exhaust leak. I replaced it a while later paying attention to specs and haven't had a problem since.

Good luck

-JL
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 09-24-2006, 12:06 PM
I Might Just Know What I'm Talking About

Yep! I agree with Jim.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 09-24-2006, 09:58 PM Thread Starter
Aprentice

Well thanks for the infor guy. I am going to see how much a stock header will go for then decide which one ill do. Im not to worried about the horepower increase, I just want to fix it and have it over with.

Thanks again, Brannon
post #6 of (permalink) Old 09-24-2006, 10:02 PM
Way Outta Control

Go over to Walt & Verns on HW410 and see if they've got a used one. Then have it faced and trued at a machine shop (Does NAPA in the ol' Dixon's Pharmacy building have a machine shop?). Even with a new manifold, that's not a bad idea to have it checked for true. It eliminates having to do it over again.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 09-25-2006, 11:35 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Excuse me for playing devils advocate....but are you sure the manifold is leaking and it's not the gakset? These engines are notorisou for having loose bolts...

And...I vote for the NO header as well....more work than it's worth and it's more likely to leak than a stock one after a couple years service....
post #8 of (permalink) Old 09-25-2006, 12:47 PM
Way Outta Control

Good point; and... if it does prove to be a gasket, it is likely the manifold has warped and will still need facing and truing to reinstall when the new gasket is installed.
post #9 of (permalink) Old 09-25-2006, 07:19 PM Thread Starter
Aprentice

Ya I am positive that its the manifold I can see the crack right where the tubes come together. No what do I need to do the engine side, do i need to have it faced or what?

Thanks a bunch for the help!!!

Brannon
post #10 of (permalink) Old 09-25-2006, 08:01 PM
Way Outta Control

The engine side, which is the head, should be OK. The problem is that once a manifold heats up it warps when it's taken off. The runners torque from the heat. They don't stay true and sometimes it's almost impossible to reattach them. Even if you can fit up the manifold there's now guarantee that the runners will seal against the head, hence the facing. Some people use two gaskets to help make up the difference in between the manifold and the head, but that's masking the problem.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode