Has anyone used speedglass?? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 09-23-2006, 11:44 PM Thread Starter
Aprentice

Has anyone used speedglass??

Hey guys,

I am thinking about using speedglass(lexan) for my 99' Jeep Wrangler 4.0, its a daily driver and im tired of replacing my window every 6 months. I know that speedglass isnt dot approved and im ok with that. Are any of you running it in your rig right now, or know of someone with it? And if so how well does it work, does it leak, does it scratch and how hard was it to install? Any other information would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks, Brannon
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 09-23-2006, 11:59 PM
Way Outta Control

Re: Has anyone used speedglass??

Speedglass is NOT DOT approved. I wouldn't put in it a daily driver, it's a danger.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 09-24-2006, 12:07 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

The real issue hear is why you have to replace the windshield glass every 6 months.....I went 20 years on my CJ before I replaced the glass.....what in the world are you doing to ruin the glass?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 09-24-2006, 12:26 AM Thread Starter
Aprentice

Thanks for the info Leve but as I said I already know that speedglass dot aprroved. The reasons for that is two fold. The biggest reason is that they cant brake the glass out in case of an accident, in this case there are so many ways to get you out of a soft top jeep that it shouldn't be a problem. and the second is that if you get into an accident you cant fly through like a regular windshield. Like I said im ok with that. Dawg it might not be every 6 months but it seems like it, the reason I am breaking so many windshields is because I work at a ski resot year round at a ski resort and the gravel roads during the summer tear it up. Other than that my windshield seems to be a magnet to rocks and dump trucks... :-(

Thanks again for the info, Brannon
post #5 of (permalink) Old 09-24-2006, 01:09 AM
Way Outta Control

If you work up at Crystal, the roads can be terrible in the winter commuting from town. Small rock/sand and gravel do pit the windshields. It's been a real problem since the introduction of the TJ; IMHO, I think it's due to the rake of the windshield as opposed to the CJ/YJ.

As an ol' Buckley Boy, I used to take my kids up to Crystal at 3pm on a Sunday and come back to Enumclaw doin' the speed limit till I hit the White River Mill and then slowed down.

The kids called it "pissin' off the tourists." Geeze it was fun...

However, you can argue all you want about the reasons it's not DOT approved, but the fact is that it's not. The problem come if there is ever an accident that involves the windscreen shattering, splintering, or the like. There is no laminate sandwich to keep the windshield intact during an accident. What happens if your (or a passengers head) attempts to go through it. It can happen, and it won't be a pretty sight. Then let's talk about what happens if it does stay intact. If the windshield pops out (CJ) or the frame deforms and the windshield pops off the urethane seal it can fly back and destroy you and the passengers.

There's no protection for you and your insurance company (once they find out) will back away as the opposing lawyers descend on you like a pack of wolves. If they find out before you have an accident you'll be dropped like a hot potato.

Do yourself a favor and keep the glass and keep up your comprehensive insurance. Mutual Of Enumclaw is who I use...

Oh, since you have a 84 Toyota and haven't see the Top Gear Video, it's worth the look:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nD0UVI99R8Q
post #6 of (permalink) Old 09-24-2006, 02:19 AM Thread Starter
Aprentice

Alright as of right now I will not be putting speedglass in the jeep if anyone can tell me any other info that still would be great. I guess I will just replace it with regular glass. Is there anything I can do to make it so it doesnt break as easily? And by the way a cracked windshield will also shard easier so driving around with a cracked windshields not safe either. I guess I will just replace it over and over again. Its just a bummer because it sounded like such a good idea.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 09-24-2006, 07:17 AM

A problem with polycarbonate (Lexan is a brand name) is that it will scratch, and when it does the scratch can't be copmpletely polished out. At least I don't know of a way. It can be gotten out pretty well, but every polish I've used leaves it just a little dull. I don't think it would be suitable for looking through.

They say that Speedglass doesn't scratch. That's nonsense. Although it's possible that it has a coating that doesn't scratch as easily as normal polycarbonate, it will scratch more easily than glass.

Have you thought of getting an 1/8" piese of acrylic (Plexiglass is a brand name), cutting it to fit and putting it under the wipers? You can tape the edges down with 2" clear packaging tape.

Acrylic scratches fairly easily, so you wouldn't want to run your wipers on it except in an emergency, but there's a Rain-X formula for plastics. It's easy to polish scratches out of it, and when it gets too bad pitch it and put a new one in. A 4' X 8' sheet should cost $50 to $75 and make six or more covers.
post #8 of (permalink) Old 09-24-2006, 09:09 AM
Keyboard Implanted

Crazy eddie put it in his, and I think he is happy about it. DOT this and that,,, They don't alyays approve things for the right or disapprove for the right reasons. I will make my own decisions and if I break my windshield again (would be the 2nd time) I wouldn't hesitate to use it.

As for an insurance agency,,, I don't care if it is speed glass or that new toilet paper biodegradable brake line,, they are gonna try and weasle out of every claim that they think they can get away with.
post #9 of (permalink) Old 09-24-2006, 01:54 PM

Can you put a bug/rock deflector on the hood? Use a good glass polish in the fall and spring. It'll fill some of the minor pits.
Other than that, read the "stay back" signs found on most gravel trucks. Drafting works in NASCAR, not advised for public use. I pull a 48ft spread axle flatbed, and always have people so close I cant see them behind my trailer. Then cut in so close in front of me I loose them under my hood. I have 18 wheels not 18 sets of brakes! My emty weight is 36,000 lbs, loaded weight is close to 80,000 lbs. I dont have 4 wheel disk brakes. Sorry I guess that doesnt have much to do with your windshield, but I've had a really rough week.
:
post #10 of (permalink) Old 09-24-2006, 06:16 PM

The only thing I can really see that was left off was the use of braces, that is you would have to install braces to stop the flex of a plastic windshield. I would try the bug/rock deflector before anything.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode