What do you guys think this could be. - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 09-23-2006, 09:55 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

What do you guys think this could be.

as i posted earlier this week i was driving to ellensburg when my tranyy decided to say bye bye. well i am wondering if it could just be the clutch and throwout bearings or pressure plate or somthing. what the tranny is doing is it won;t go into gear at all. when i have it in nuetral the engine dies. it just stalls out in nuetral. is it the tranny or the clutch compnents. i am gonna get a new clutch kit anyways and a new flywheel and drain all the gear oil, check for shvings and then drain it agian. if no shavings then i guess it is just the clutch. sorry for rambling. so what do you guys think.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 09-24-2006, 12:03 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: What do you guys think this could be.

It's not a hard problem to diagnose.
The fact that you can start it implles that you can push the clutch in and it starts....but when you let it out and the tranny is in neutral, it dies. That means you clutch is ok....so, yea, your tranny is shot.

Nnw, if pushing in the clutch has now effect, then yes, the clutch is suspect.

A little advice...if you have to swap out the tranny, do the clutch as well....not that much more work...
post #3 of (permalink) Old 09-24-2006, 02:09 PM

Dont know what trany your using, but if its a top loader, it may just be the plastic gates in the top. (you can hope) if you have linkage, it could be something bent or broken. If its neither of these its in your trany. I blew a four speed in a 78 CJ7, Got an adapter and put in a GMC 3 speed. worked great. Good luck.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 09-24-2006, 02:54 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Well i went out this morning and played with teh shifter and now it will go into gear no problem, but it still dies in nuetral. i think the trhowout bearing is gone.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 09-24-2006, 03:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]
i think the trhowout bearing is gone.

[/ QUOTE ]

That may be, but it's not the cause of your problem. Sounds like a shift linkage and interlock problem to me.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 09-24-2006, 07:51 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

drained all fluid and got no metal shavings. smelled burned. i think the fluid was just old though. i am gonna just replace the clutch and it it is still not working then it is time for a new tranny. ill keep you guys posted.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 09-24-2006, 07:54 PM
Way Outta Control

If you've got it dropped, can you work it through the gears manually?
post #8 of (permalink) Old 09-25-2006, 11:57 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

well i got to go out there and get the last few pain in te butt bolts out of the top of the bell housing and then ill try that.
post #9 of (permalink) Old 09-25-2006, 12:25 PM
Keyboard Implanted

You've shifter rail or linkage issues. You're not pulling it out of gear when in neutral. That's why it dies. You may be in two gears (hence no forward motion).

Although you may need a throw out bearing (was clutch engagement challenging and noisy?) ..it's got nothing to do with your problem.

I wouldn't normally think that this would be something to warrant replacement. It may be tricky ..and you may need to be a dentist, but this should be something that can be, relatively, easily fixed. It's not like you were complaining about whining bearings and all kinds of grinding or having other issues.

I've had this happen to a Chevy 4 speed in auto shop in high school ..everyone was banging it through the gears with it just sitting there. It got stuck in two gears. Rocking it got it back to normal.
post #10 of (permalink) Old 09-25-2006, 03:35 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

well got the tranny out completely. i put it in nuetral and the shaft spins free but when it is in any gear it can only be turned about 2 1/2 to 3 thurns before it locks up.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode