Wrangler won't start - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 09-22-2006, 02:54 PM Thread Starter

Wrangler won\'t start

First time posting, so please bear with me...

88 YJ Sahara, 4.2L, msd6, motorcraft distributor, MC2150 carb, TR TFI coil, cap, and rotor (I followed their post for parts), plugs gapped @ .050 (per TR & msd specs); computer, PVC, egr, & charcoal cannister connected - all else gone, though I still have the Duraspark wired (but not connected) in case of emergency.

Here's my problem. Has been running great since "upgrades" (last of which was over two years ago). Past three weeks though, I've been getting stranded b/c engine wouldn't turn over. Problem has been getting worse over time, and now Wrangler is sitting in my driveway, as I'm unable to get it to engage (at least it didn't leave me stranded in the middle of nowhere).

I checked the coil primary resistance (I believe/hope I did it correctly), and it's @ 0.8; timed @ 8btdc - ported vac to dist. Manifold vac @ 18" hg. Battery only two years old, and it is still holding a charge. Starter also seems to be doing its job.

There's fuel in the chamber (float level still correct) - and carb seems to be operating correctly.

I'm a little nervous about placing electrically-charged components (spark plugs, coil wires, etc.) close to metal to confirm spark, but I'll do it if one of y'all recommends that's the best route for me to take.

Any suggestions for a newbie would be greatly appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 09-22-2006, 03:00 PM
Way Outta Control

Re: Wrangler won\'t start

Be more specific. If the engine won't turn over that leads me to think that the starter is not engaging to spin the engine. From your description, that is happening.... so I'll as a few basic questions....

Is the starter spinning the engine correctly?

Is the starter pulling the correct amount of amperage when spinning the engine?

If that's working OK, do you have spark?

Do you have fuel? Is it being squirted into the carb?
post #3 of (permalink) Old 09-22-2006, 03:26 PM Thread Starter

Hi Leve. Nice to meet you...

Funny you should mention the starter! One of the bolts holding it in place fell out. I discovered it and replaced it yesterday. Gears appear to be in decent shape, but I can always take it back and have it load tested.

Engine sounds like its ready to turn-over, but it just doesn't. I'm not certain what "spinning the engine correctly" means. Should I be listening for something - good or bad?

I have a decent Craftsman digital multimeter, and I can test for Adc. I'll do some research and find correct procedure, i.e. which contacts to test. Chiltons says it should be 67 amps & 12 volts under "no-Load Test", but they do not recommend a "Lock Test" (does lock test mean while I'm turning it over, or while engine is running?).

I'm gonna have my son crank the engine and I'll test plugs and coil wires for spark. I've read your posts for how to do this - I also followed your post on how to find TDC - so I'll try that next.

Acc pump working, gas is going into card form below - and not pouring down.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 09-22-2006, 03:38 PM
I Might Just Know What I'm Talking About

He's asking if when you turn the key to the start position, doe th engine start making revolutions. If so, does it seem to be turning over fast enough to fire? Yes, you need to verify spark. Sounds like you have fuel and air, so that may be the missing link. It's futile to start checking voltages until you know the missing link. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
post #5 of (permalink) Old 09-22-2006, 03:40 PM

When we ask is the engine "turning over", we mean does the starter of its own power, rotate the crankshaft at a normal starting speed. Is it turning at all? Slower than normal? Spinning over normally but no signs of combustion?
post #6 of (permalink) Old 09-22-2006, 05:48 PM
Keyboard Implanted

Bet Jdogg is on the Money [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] most of your mods are ignition related. Get a cheap spark plug tester and go to town. At the very least you will know what is going on later in life as well.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 09-22-2006, 06:51 PM Thread Starter

Yes and yes. Cranks like it always does, just doesn't want to run. I'll check for spark tomorrow AM. Thanx for all you insight and suggestions everyone.

It's frustrating for this to happen after running so well for so long. It's nice having so many good minds on this board to offer assistance. I'll post back with an update after I've tested for spark.
post #8 of (permalink) Old 09-22-2006, 09:08 PM
I Might Just Know What I'm Talking About

OK, I'm running an HEI on my six so bare with me. You have a Motorcraft dist, cap, rotor, MSD box. Why is the computer still hooked to anything? Seems to me you should be powering the MSD with a solid 12 volts and like should be good.

Like I said, I'm running an HEI, so maybe I'm missing something with your MSD/Motorcraft setup... but I really think you need to get the computer out of the loop.

That being said, if your using the Ford style module, they can go bad and cause dirveability issues like you've described, getting worse and worse until one day the engine just wont start.
post #9 of (permalink) Old 09-24-2006, 11:44 AM Thread Starter

Hi jdig...

Computer's still connected in case in case I ever need/want to use it to control (retard) my timing during startup. That's the only reason it's still there. I'm not dumping it until I'm 100% certain it can serve no useful purpose.

Ford module is still wired, but not "hooked up". In case the MSD ever goes bad, I have a backup. It's still working (I test it about once every month).

Going out now to check for spark (didn't get a chance yesterday). Instead, I took my daughter and some of her friends to Hershey Park for her 14th birthday. There was a time when she used to be the greatest thing on earth; the perfect daddy's girl. Now I'm ready to trade her in for a better model. Well, I still have my 11 year old son who still loves me. Gonna take him to Paragon one day. He love 4 wheelin'...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode