Power Steering - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 09-22-2006, 09:54 AM Thread Starter
Keyboard Implanted

Power Steering

NICE! Pump died on the CJ last week, and Tuesday night I hear a groan coming from the Power Steering on the ZJ. There's a pinhole leak in my pressure line that has showered the engine bay.

Picked up a new hose, no big deal, but also picked up a rebuild kit for the CJ Pump. Anyone ever rebuilt a pump before? rebuild kit was $14, pump was $40, Pump and Resivoir is $60. So with the cost saving and my curiosity for tearing things apart to understand how they work, I thought I'd rebuild it.

Always did get in trouble as a kid for tearing apart my new toys to see what made them tick. Guess that's why my parent bought me an Erector Set for my 6th birthday.

Anyway, any special tips or tricks on rebuilding the Pump? about all I've seen/heard is that the resivoir is pretty thin stamped steel so be careful with it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 09-22-2006, 10:14 AM
Way Outta Control

Re: Power Steering

Yep, be careful, the housing is thin. Do you have a pump pulley puller? That helps, then it's all a matter of simply replacing parts. As you can see from the kit, there's not a lot to it...
post #3 of (permalink) Old 09-22-2006, 10:16 AM Thread Starter
Keyboard Implanted

[ QUOTE ]
Do you have a pump pulley puller?

[/ QUOTE ]

I have a two finger puller, but not certain it's specifically a Pulley puller.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 09-22-2006, 10:23 AM
Way Outta Control

Take a look at the pump shaft, it should be similar to this:

http://www.stu-offroad.com/steering/...pspulley-1.htm
post #5 of (permalink) Old 09-22-2006, 11:23 AM
ToltecPS

Hey Brent,
Fancy meeting you here.

I second the thought that the rebuild is not a big deal and worth the time to DIY.

BUT..I highly recommend going with a Pulley Puller over a fingered puller. There's too much of a chance of bending the pulley with a fingered puller. Even a slight distortion and you are going to be replacing the pulley next weekend.

Go to your local speed shop and pick up a pulley puller.

Talk with you soon..
post #6 of (permalink) Old 09-22-2006, 11:26 AM Thread Starter
Keyboard Implanted

Thanks Mike and Larry. Bending the pulley was my first thought on the 2 finger puller. That's the first time I've seen a puller like that, pretty slick.

thanks
post #7 of (permalink) Old 09-22-2006, 12:13 PM
Mud in my Veins

Also, be ready for the possibility of pulling the little flange OFF the pulley! IOW, better have a ride to work on Monday...

For those ready to chime in that it's rare/impossible... maybe so. All I know is the one time I had to remove a PS pump pulley, the flange began to peel off. Luckily, the pulley came off before the flange removed itself completely. I'd bet the farm it won't last another pull too! [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img]
post #8 of (permalink) Old 09-22-2006, 01:19 PM Thread Starter
Keyboard Implanted

[ QUOTE ]
Also, be ready for the possibility of pulling the little flange OFF the pulley! IOW, better have a ride to work on Monday...

[/ QUOTE ]

You say that as if I actually drive the CJ! [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img]
post #9 of (permalink) Old 11-12-2006, 06:18 AM Thread Starter
Keyboard Implanted

alright, rebuilt the pump the other weekend. and finally had more time to reinstall an dbleed the system.

nothing.... I got nothing... No power steering. I had the wheels off the ground running it from stop to stop to bleed the system an dit was just as tight as if I had manual steering.

I was stumped (read pissed) so I stopped. Today I'm gonna pull the return line to see if I'm actually getting fluuid through the system. But other than an obstruction in the line, any thoughts? Don't know how there would be an obstruction, but it's all I can think of right now. Everything in th epump looked good to me. Not that I've ever been inside a pump before.
post #10 of (permalink) Old 11-12-2006, 07:31 AM

The system must be flushed and hoses replaced before installing a new pump. Old hoses flake off rubber dust into the fluid. That can mess up the relief valve. If the relief valve doesn't seal, the pump can't build up pressure. Now that the pump has possibly had old fluid run through it, you may have to take it apart and clean it out again.

I just replaced my pump with a rebuilt. It worked, somewhat, but groaned and squealed and didn't help the steering much. I flushed it with about three quarts of new juice and then installed a fuel filter in the return line. It's getting better; sometimes it groans a little, sometimes it works fine. My parts guy says that if it doesn't come around eventually, he'll give me another pump.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode