HAS ANYONE REBUILT A 225 V6?? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 09-21-2006, 02:43 PM
LiLBucket

HAS ANYONE REBUILT A 225 V6??

Has anyone rebuilt a Buick V6 225?? I have a í71 CJ5 and she threw a rod. I think Iíve decided to stay with original equipment and rebuild as opposed to a swap. Iíve contemplated a 231 swap or a Ford 302 that is in the garage. They both seem unnecessary and more involved since my bucket isnít anything extreme. Itís bolted to a T14 so Iíll probably overhaul it and whatever else I find up under her. Iíve not had her long, only about 2 months and the previous owner was a dope, thatís probably why she went crazyÖ..long story on the shape it was in mechanicallyÖÖ..

I was just hoping to find someone with firsthand experience rebuilding this motor so I have a better idea of what to expect. It will be the first time completely rebuilding an engine for me. Iím not worried about the mechanics of it but it would be nice to know if there are any particulars I should be aware of.

I have found bits and pieces on the 4 or 5 forums I frequent as well as some things in regular searches, but nothing complete.

Iím also trying to figure out the best way/place to buy the parts, as well as figure out just how extensive I need to go. I.E. what may be able to be salvaged and/or reused. I probably donít need to mention that cost is a factor, heck, itís a jeep!!

Thanks in advance! I hope to get some good feedback!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 09-21-2006, 05:04 PM
JCP
Journeyman

Re: HAS ANYONE REBUILT A 225 V6??

Only did top end (heads on mine). Try the Jeepster board lots more about them there:

http://bbs.off-road.com/ubbthreads/p...adjeepjeepster

JCP
post #3 of (permalink) Old 09-21-2006, 06:35 PM
Mud in my Veins

Forums that may net you more info & a broader audience (if you haven't found them already)....

The Jeepster Commando Club of America

Early CJ5/Dauntless V6 Forum
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 09-21-2006, 06:38 PM

Rebuilding a 225 V6 is much the same as rebuilding any other motor. The process is really very simple.

First, make sure you have the right tools. Micrometers, dial gauges, a dial caliper, 'snap gauges', torque drives, ball hone, feeler gauges (both stainless steel AND brass) and a deck gauge are all pretty much standard fare when it comes to rebuilding a block. How much of it you want, or can afford, to do yourself will be another matter entirely.

Have a service manual or a Chilton's guide that has the specifications of the motor, that's a critical part of the procedure.

If you do not have these items, either get them, or take the block to a shop! (As much as I hate to say that, Jim Lou has heard all the crap I dealt with taking my block to a bad shop, although it may have been the best thing I've ever done for my jeep)

Before disassembling anything, TAKE PICTURES! Take pictures of every component you will be taking out, mark their orientation, mark their depth (for some items), mark their position, and have about 40 zip-lock bags. More on this in a moment.

Start up Word, and print up a sheet or two of this...

Intake 1
exhaust 1
Intake 2
exhaust 2

etc. etc. up until 6. Standard operating procedure in my garage, we bag and tag EVERYTHING, those particular labels cut out and place inside of 12 bags. You will have one lifter and one pushrod per bag. Don't mix and match them.

Take your time when removing and installing things. Rush, slip, and you may end up buying a new block.

The block, crank, and remaining rods you should have professionally checked for cracks, taper, or damaged bearing faces. You didn't say how the rod threw (cap coming off, or the rod twisting) but that rod may need to be replaced, if it broke entirely, it will definately need replacing.

Rings are a given, as are bearings. Luckily, I have options for you.

http://www.northernautoparts.com

and their sister site on E-bay

http://stores.ebay.com/Northern-Auto-Parts-Warehouse

Both have good prices, and fast shipping... actually, they have the BEST prices, which is why I recommend them.

If you need any more help or advice on specific aspects of your project, feel free to send me a PM. Many of us here at the SWB forum are pretty good with enginework, advice, and can help you with specifics on some of the motors.

Above all, however. If you at ALL feel uncomfortable with a certain part of rebuilding the block, ask an experienced mechanic or machinist before attempting the work yourself. Some stuff also CANNOT be done unless you have the correct equipment without risking damage to the engine. An example of this is press-fit pistons.

Good luck! Rebuilding a block is satisfying, but it sure as heck ain't easy.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode