Coil Resistor Wire - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 09-21-2006, 11:21 AM Thread Starter
Addict

Coil Resistor Wire

Working my way back toward the coil from the ignition module.

From the module the 10ga red wire splits into the smaller resistor wire AND a small brown wire that appears to go to the alternator.

I understand about replacing the resistor wire with 10ga wire to take full advantge of the HEI module/e-coil combination.

In doing this do I simply replace the existing resistor wire to the coil with 10ga and splice back in this brown wire that is running to the alternator? Call me ignorant but I'm not sure what the other wire is for and find it easier to ask first than cuss later.

I have been running the HEI/e-coil/Nutter Bypass/MC2100 for a while now on my '84 258 and have liked the results. I am ready to commit to this setup and want to make sure I'm not gonna let any of the magic smoke out anywhere [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 09-21-2006, 04:08 PM

Re: Coil Resistor Wire

There is a resistance wire running to the alternator terminal A that is there to keep the ignition from being permanently on and getting continued power from the alternator. This can be replaced with a low wattage bulb or a diode. Bulb makes a convenient idiot light.

Teamrush has some posts with schematics. Terminal A or 1 on the alternator can use a bulb, 100 ohm resister or diode with stripe towards the alternator connected to a source of key on power. The bulb, resistor or diode prevents it from feeding power back into the ignition circuit even after you turn the key to off. Terminal B is the one that picks up the reference voltage and to which output of the alternator is regulated. Open to debate whether to hook it to the battery or to a part of the harness that gets loaded down.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode