painting engine ? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 09-20-2006, 01:49 PM Thread Starter
Journeyman

painting engine ?

i am going to paint my engine and i would like to know if any one has sandblasted their engine to clean off all the rust ?
what parts did you remove and what should i look out for !
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 09-20-2006, 02:22 PM

Re: painting engine ?

I'd be wary of sandblasting an assembled engine. That grit and dust gets everwhere. I'd be more inclined to use a sodium hydroxide based caustic cleaner (oven cleaner or people talk of something called "simple green", wear goggles) and a pressure washer. Water may get places it shouldn't, but at least it evaporates. Personally I don't think the rust is a big deal, the pain may stick better to the rust than fresh metal.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 09-20-2006, 02:36 PM

What Tim said. If it really bothers you, use Naval Jelly, a caustic that will remove rust, or a rust converter which will turn red-brown rust to a hard, black oxide that's very tough. Simple Green is mainly a degreasing detergent concentrate. I don't think it will do anything to rust, but it's a good prep cleaner.

But all you really need to do is use a wire brush to get the loose stuff off, apply primer and then the finish color.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 09-20-2006, 03:11 PM
Way Outta Control

Don't sandblast for the above reasons. It's a great way to ruin an otherwise good engine. When I clean up an engine for painting I use oven cleaner, followed up by simple green and then carb spray. Works every time. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

If you want to remove the valve covers and the oil pan, and front engine cover, go ahead. Then you can paint them separately. But beware of leaks when you put it back together. You're trying to minimize work, not make more.

As for taking other stuff off the engine... that's up to you. If you don't want it painted, mask it, or take it off.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 09-20-2006, 04:42 PM
Old Hand

Ok, hear is what I did. Though I hate rust I left it there...untill my valve cover gasket started to leak, removed it and sanded it and painted it. The next leak was the oil pan...same process. I did that all through the engine. Its not a show engine but it runs and dosent leak. My dad always told me "Id rater have a ugly car the runs than a pretty one that dosen't." The process that I did ensured that it was a slow project that made sure all worked and didnt leak. Also no-brainer paint all the parts that you replace befor instalation. Do it this way and before long it will be a freshly painted engine. Good luck.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 09-20-2006, 05:00 PM

I think oven cleaner is probably close chemically to Naval Jelly, and neither should be used on aluminum or magnesium. Caustic chemicals will eat them up.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 09-20-2006, 05:12 PM
Way Outta Control

True, it does remove anodizing. But then that returns, so I've never had a problem with it.
post #8 of (permalink) Old 09-20-2006, 06:40 PM

Left on too long it will eat and pit the heck out of it. Maybe some alloys are less sensitive than others, but it will eat a lot of them. I play it safe by keeping caustics off of all metals but stainless, steel and cast iron.
post #9 of (permalink) Old 09-20-2006, 07:25 PM
Can't Get Enough

So if I have some 6061-T6 that has been anodized, color not hard, I can just hit it with oven cleaner to remove it?
I usually sand blast it, but that doesn't leave the best finish.
Good to know.
post #10 of (permalink) Old 09-20-2006, 08:45 PM
Enthusiast

Yes, my son has actually sandblasted an engine in order to remove the rust prior to painting. It was a 4 cylinder from an 84 xj. Engine looked brand new when he was done. The only extra work involved was a complete tear down to remove all of the black beauty from inside. It was packed full. Personally I think that I will stick with chemical cleaners.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode