leaky hard doors on a toyota - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 09-19-2006, 08:13 PM Thread Starter
Enthusiast

leaky hard doors on a toyota

i know this is a jeep board but my dad has a 76 FJ40.
hes got a problem with water leaking into the hard doors through the window. theres no weather stripping and as far as we know its not supposed to have any.
but its causing the lower doors to rust on an otherwise rust free cruiser.
could we take it to a body shop and have weatherstripping installed?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 09-20-2006, 07:50 AM
Way Outta Control

Re: leaky hard doors on a toyota

Ok, I'm not a FJ40 expert, in fact I don't know a whit about 'em. That said, I'd have to ask if the drain holes on the door are open? Often they close with rust of debris being washed into the hole and closing it up. So, open the hole!.

When I was in the Midwest, every summer, I used to flood the doors with used motor oil until it ran out the drain holes. The oil mixed with road dust and formed a fairly good... crude...rust barrier.

The weather stripping on my CJ7's hard doors were toast. I wasn't about to buy new stripping. It cost a small fortune. I went to the Junk yard and removed some stripping from a small donor car. Then I measured the length of the CJ window and cut the stripping to length. The seal was applied to the door lip with Weldwood Carpenters Contact Cement. It stays pliable even in cold weather.

Then I finished up with black RTV Silicon to seal between the new weather stripping and the door. The view below, is looking along the top of the door sill with the window down.

The seals have lasted over 9 years.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 09-20-2006, 11:15 AM Thread Starter
Enthusiast

great tip, thanks, well have to give that a try
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 09-20-2006, 04:50 PM
Old Hand

Dont know much about the FJ but there is a FJ form found in the main index i am sure there is some one there that could help you. If not clead the drain holes, Herculine or undercoat the inside of the doors, and look closly. weather stripping may be called for just installed in an unusual way. Again try the FJ page and also keep the drain holes clean. Also stay away from the oil treatment that could be a bear to clean if you ever decide to do something more perminate...furthermore it wouldnt stop your leak so when it rains you will have oily-water draining out your doors down the side and inside of your rust free FJ. Who knows where from there. My luck would be the bottom of my shoes and across my wifes white carpet [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked.gif[/img] Good luck
post #5 of (permalink) Old 09-20-2006, 07:42 PM
Can't Get Enough

Do a search for " Manafre ". You are suppose to have weather stripping. Im pretty sure thats where my bro inlaw gets all his stuff! You might also check with the guys from the Toyota Landcruiser Association. They have a BB you can post on. Most of them are great guys and some are a little snooty when it comes to jeeps. I'll check with my bro inlaw but Im most posative that Manafre is the place to look.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode