Update...HEI module installed, runs horrible - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 09-18-2006, 09:18 PM Thread Starter
Journeyman

Update...HEI module installed, runs horrible

I read posts on how easy the HEI module is to wire in. What is so easy about it? I tried for a good part of the weekend to get it right and dont have a clue if it is even close to correct. I have been using the diagram from JYG but it seems so unclear to me. What exactly goes where and where exactly did it come from? Basically I am looking for a detailed diagram of what gets disconnected from where and what what gets connected to where. completely barney style, paint by numbers easy, this guy is an idiot and I want to help type of deal. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img] So for now, I get back to the carb rebuild. Oh, keep in mind that I already have the nutter bypass, "TR" larger cap, base, plug wires, E coil, and all the emissions stuff, including the puter, ripped out. Thanks ahead of time.
Tim

I added a copy of JYG's diagram with questions written on it. Thanks again.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1540059-HEIwiring2.JPG (76.1 KB, 46 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 09-19-2006, 07:25 PM Thread Starter
Journeyman

Re: Edited...HEI module wiring, pictures included

BTT. Got the picture to work!!! [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
post #3 of (permalink) Old 09-19-2006, 07:48 PM
Keyboard Implanted

Yep the picture works. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]

Some threads from a search for "HEI/TFI":

<u>V8 TR TFI HEI Upgrade Completed Another winner</u>

<u>Dura Don't Spark</u>

<u>'82 cj7 ignition question.</u>

<u>Motorcraft Distributor help</u>

<u>Stealth HEI added, What the heck? Mystery Solved!</u>

<u>HEI</u>

You might not know... Mr. Junk Yard was TeamRush in the past, or so he claims.

There are more threads here on this BBS, but you could go over to JeepsUnlimited and find several other threads there. A Google search will provide dozens of different applications of the old four pin HEI module on every thing to include motorcycles.

Funny that none of them seem to need a 10GA wire to run the darn thing.

Check out a few of the links above and you should find enough... if not post up a more specific question.

[img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/40BEER.gif[/img]
Dale
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 09-19-2006, 09:01 PM Thread Starter
Journeyman

Wow. I dont know why but it seems as though the search button hates me. I have been looking for info like that for a while. Thank you. So can everything that the old module had connected to it go away? What about wiring up the relay, or is it not needed? It seems so easy now. I just gotta find an accessory "on" lead and the tach lead it seems. Thanks again
post #5 of (permalink) Old 09-19-2006, 11:25 PM
Way Outta Control

10 GA to make it work? No, it just helps it work better!
GM used 10 GA, but some folks think they know more than GM.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 09-20-2006, 04:30 AM

[ QUOTE ]
BTT. Got the picture to work!!! [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

Some answers to question on your attachment. I can't locate my relay wireing diagram this morning
Attached Images
File Type: gif 1540215-RelayandHEIHelps1.gif (33.7 KB, 29 views)
post #7 of (permalink) Old 09-20-2006, 09:47 AM Thread Starter
Journeyman

On the relay(not the starter relay), the factory ign coil wire is ran to it. Since that wire is on in run and start only, I assume it is there simply for closing the relay. And also since the ign coil wire is ran to that relay, what is the purpose for the other 14 ga wire going from the starter relay to it, and tapped in to the pos coil lead? Seems to me like it would be the "on in start and run" only if the relay isnt used. Would there be any difference if I just left that 14 ga wire out of the circuit and only connected the 10 ga wire like you said? I think I can figure out the relay schematic as far as whats normally ope and switched closed and which two need to be ground and switched hot. Its wierd how I can think a lot more clearly about this stuff when I'm at work. thanks
Tim
post #8 of (permalink) Old 09-20-2006, 11:49 AM

On the starter solenoid, the wire in question is on the "I" terminal. In normal operation this tost "Supplies" full battery voltage to the coil when trying to start the engine. Normally there is a balast resistot going to the coil theat drops the voltage. When cranking your voltage from the battery may also drop thus dropping the voltage to the coil even lower. This wire bypasses the ballast resistor (or wire) and allows full available voltage to the coil during starting.

Why JYG wired it this way I don't know but it couldn't hurt. THe possibility does exist that the wire from the ignition swich may actually cut off during cranking allowing only the "I" post to supply power but the ICU also needs power during cranking also. So I don't see that as a possibility.
post #9 of (permalink) Old 09-20-2006, 01:07 PM Thread Starter
Journeyman

ok, so that is the starter SOLENOID in the diagram and not the starter RELAY? That might make a little more sense to me. There is also a factory red wire spliced into (as well as a few other splices) the yellow wire going to the module. I believe this is also what the coil pos it ran off of. Is this wire, going to the alternator, considered the excite wire? All it needs is a 12 volt switched lead to it, correct?
I VERY QUICKLY drew up a schematic, very similar to JYG, a couple things added. I think I covered everything needed to be connected...correct me if I'm wrong. I will try to scan the schematic out of chiltons and draw a better one, just to make sure I do it right the first time. I really feel like i am looking too far into this. could I just find an ignition on in start AND run lead and wire that to the coil pos to eliminate the "I" terminal wire? thanks
Tim
post #10 of (permalink) Old 09-21-2006, 08:57 AM Thread Starter
Journeyman

So I got it all wired up last night. It cranks when its in run so I gotta go mess with the wiring a little more. Didnt get it started yet though.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode