What tranny and Transfer to use? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 09-16-2006, 07:54 PM Thread Starter

What tranny and Transfer to use?

I have never posted on this site before but I do follow the posts and I do frequent the AJC Board. I am hopeing someone here can help me.

I have a 46' cj2a with a Ford 302 motor and original 3 speed trany and transfer case. The original axles are also being used, passenger side diffs.

My problem is, the transmision will not hold up to the 302, I have had to have it rebuilt 3 times in 2 years, the synchros are FUBARD.

My question is, what transmission and tranfercase can I use to replace the existing trans and transfer? I don't have a problem of having to buy any adaptors to make something work.

Stacey
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 09-16-2006, 08:01 PM

Re: What tranny and Transfer to use?

I would think a Ford T-18 would be a good choice. Lots of folks put them in their CJ's with Dana 300 cases. Adapters are readily available.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 09-16-2006, 11:33 PM Thread Starter

Do you know what Fords have the T 18 in them?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 09-16-2006, 11:39 PM

Synchros won't go bad because the transmission is passing too much power. They go bad because of improper installation or improper use, which is what I suspect.

That transmission doesn't want to be shifted like a sports car transmission. It's a small truck transmission, from an era when synchro transmissions were something of a novelty, and any help from the synchro was appreciated. You have to take your time shifting; let the synchro do its job. A shift to second or third ahould take about three seconds.

If you're looking for something that can be shifted quickly, I can't tell you what to put in, but I can say that you won't be happy with a T18; it's VERY trucky.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 09-16-2006, 11:57 PM

Only Ford I'm sure of with the T-18 is a '69 1 ton Pickup my cousin has. I know it was used in other Ford trucks but what years and models I can't say. There is a Jeep version but it doesn't have the granny low gear ratio I would expect a Ford would be eaiser to mate to a 302.

Check out this LINK.

here is a excerpt.

[ QUOTE ]
The T18 is a reknown, heavy-duty truck transmission designed for and used in ˝, 3/4 and 1+ ton trucks. The T18 was made by Borg-Warner Gear from 1966 to 1990. They are found in Ford, Jeep and IH trucks. The T18 is the improved successor to the T98.

[/ QUOTE ]

Read about other transmissions in their knowledge base.

Novak is a good place to get adapters also.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 09-17-2006, 01:13 AM
I Might Just Know What I'm Talking About

How about a T176? It's fairly heavy duty, shifts alot smoother than a T18, and is a Ford product. It ain't no T18, for sure, but it is a good compromise.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 09-17-2006, 06:08 AM

[ QUOTE ]
There is a Jeep version but it doesn't have the granny low gear ratio

[/ QUOTE ]

It had the 6.32 first gear, I think for the three years of '76 to '79.
post #8 of (permalink) Old 09-17-2006, 02:13 PM
Veteran

First, every one here seems to be missing something very important. Which ever transmission is used it needs to be short and connect to a transfer case with offset rear output. That narrows the transfer case choses to the fallowing: NP200, Dana 18, and Quadratrac. Of these the NP200 is a very heavy truck case, so not a good chose. THe Quadratrac is okay but is a full time case and was only used behind Auto tranys, so that may not be wanted.

So assuming you still want a part time case that leaves the Dana 18. So the real Question is what transmission is short, strong, and will bolt with a little work to a Ford Bell Housing and bolt with little work to a Dana 18. My thoughts here would be T150, T15, Jeep or international T18 or T19 (in wide or narrow ratio). All of these came in front of Dana 20 Tcases so they will all bolt to a large (4") hole Dana 18, infact they use the same case.

Parhapes a Ford car transmission should also be looked at, as I seem to remember hearing the 3.03 used to be a popular swap into flat fenders.

Do you need/Want a grany gear? How importent is fast shifting? What are you planing to spend? How importent is stock appearance?
post #9 of (permalink) Old 09-20-2006, 08:11 PM
Can't Get Enough

I might be wrong but I think some of the late 80's ford mustangs used a T-5 as well as some S-10 chevy trucks. I think the S-10 versions had wider gears for more streangth. Go to Novak adapters and check out the info on tranny's. They have the lengths and weights and what model to find them in. Oh and by the way just don't use a jeep T-5 unless you want the same problem.
post #10 of (permalink) Old 09-22-2006, 12:08 PM Thread Starter

[ QUOTE ]
Synchros won't go bad because the transmission is passing too much power. They go bad because of improper installation or improper use, which is what I suspect.

That transmission doesn't want to be shifted like a sports car transmission. It's a small truck transmission, from an era when synchro transmissions were something of a novelty, and any help from the synchro was appreciated. You have to take your time shifting; let the synchro do its job. A shift to second or third ahould take about three seconds.

If you're looking for something that can be shifted quickly, I can't tell you what to put in, but I can say that you won't be happy with a T18; it's VERY trucky.

[/ QUOTE ]

What I am hearing is that my tranny is not inferior, it is the driver, I can accept that. My brother has (borrowed) this jeep for the last 18 months, I keep telling him to take it easy on it.

I think what I am going to do is take my jeep back from my brother, then have a different transmission shop rebuild what I have.

Thanks for all the advice.

Stacey
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode